Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Can someone explain the 200 route again. I went back over the older posts, but it doesn't make sense and it looks like the 200 has changed and added a stop in Uptown.

The map that was linked to earlier shows NB at Regina/Dupont and SB at Regina/Erb. The map that is posted currently shows NB at Regina/Willis AND Regina/Dupont and SB at Regina/Bridgeport AND Regina/Willis on the map part, but the timetable part still has the timepoints of Regina/Erb for SB and Regina/Dupont for NB and is labelled with an 'F' which corresponds to Regina/Willis on the map part.

Also, why does the 200's scheduled travel times between Charles Terminal and Uptown vary so much within such a short timespan? Trip times range from 7 to 13 minutes (and an average of 11min15sec) in the morning hours. Surely traffic isn't adding that much to certain trips. Depending on the trip, the 7 is scheduled to be faster in some cases.

Finally, when I use the accessible schedule tool it is generating the wrong schedule. For instance, when I look for #7 NB for tomorrow morning it is showing me the #1's schedule. Anyone else having the same issue?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(09-04-2017, 11:39 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Can someone explain the 200 route again. I went back over the older posts, but it doesn't make sense and it looks like the 200 has changed and added a stop in Uptown.

The map that was linked to earlier shows NB at Regina/Dupont and SB at Regina/Erb. The map that is posted currently shows NB at Regina/Willis AND Regina/Dupont and SB at Regina/Bridgeport AND Regina/Willis on the map part, but the timetable part still has the timepoints of Regina/Erb for SB and Regina/Dupont for NB and is labelled with an 'F' which corresponds to Regina/Willis on the map part.
Just checked the HASTINFO timetable, the map stop listing should be the correct one. Guess they changed the Uptown stops last minute but forgot to update the timetable portion. Confused 

NB stops are now at 5057 Regina/Willis NB and 5060 Regina/Young NB.
SB stops are now at 5063 Regina/Bridgeport SB and 5056 Regina/Willis SB.

In addition, the stop at Charles/Water has been moved to Victoria/Joseph both ways.
(08-31-2017, 09:56 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Posted on the bus stop near my house.  It's official.

I just took the rerouted 7 from Uptown to Downtown on my way to work. What a bad experience... stopping at every single intersection, all red lights, and the funny thing is I didn't even see -any- cars or pedestrians crossing them! Also, the red lights seem to not be timed properly, they were really long. The route on King seems slightly slower than on Park.  Undecided
(09-05-2017, 12:19 PM)urbd Wrote: I just took the rerouted 7 from Uptown to Downtown on my way to work. What a bad experience... stopping at every single intersection, all red lights, and the funny thing is I didn't even see -any- cars or pedestrians crossing them! Also, the red lights seem to not be timed properly, they were really long. The route on King seems slightly slower than on Park.  Undecided

The Park St alignment was always faster! I remember how it always felt like a chore to take the 7 instead of the 200, since the 7 plodded up King so slowly.

That said, there are clearly signal issues in Midtown, and have been since they turned on the traffic lights. Do all the left turn bays still get their advance (or trailing) left signals, regardless of whether there are cars to take advantage of them?
The advanced greens do still activate whether there is a car turning left or not. I noticed yesterday this seems to be the case at King and Northfield as well.
(09-05-2017, 12:51 PM)MidTowner Wrote: The advanced greens do still activate whether there is a car turning left or not. I noticed yesterday this seems to be the case at King and Northfield as well.

Interesting... but are there sensors to detect cars waiting to turn?
(09-05-2017, 12:55 PM)urbd Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 12:51 PM)MidTowner Wrote: The advanced greens do still activate whether there is a car turning left or not. I noticed yesterday this seems to be the case at King and Northfield as well.

Interesting... but are there sensors to detect cars waiting to turn?

I assume there are sensors, but they're not programmed correctly.  It's so frustrating.  It's even bad for drivers.  For example, when the left turn sensor is triggered, there is no need to cycle the entire light, just stop one direction, allow the turn and resume, but no, they wait a full light cycle.

Another intersection enters a "no pedestrian either direction" mode and stays there indefinitely until the light cycles by triggering another direction sensor.

I don't understand why they are allowed to leave lights in such a broken state.  It only serves to anger and confuse people and reduce compliance.

From my experience last night, it does not appear the Nb Route 7 stop at Victoria is open yet, although there is a stop at Francis. At a glance, while there is no route sign visible and the shelter is unlit, the shelter is still there and there are no signs indicating the stop is closed.
Why two different Uptown 200 stops?
I know we're talking about a few different things, so sorry for muddying the waters of the thread further. There's a lot of confusion about the new 7 and 200 routings. I am happy to hear, however, that the 200 will stop at Joseph and Victoria (thanks to dunkalunk and others for bringing the weird stop spacing to GRT's attention). I do wonder why the 200 can't turn left at King and Victoria, but the Joseph stop is much better than the previously identified stop.
There are no left-turns for any vehicles, even buses, at King and Victoria now.
(09-05-2017, 01:32 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I know we're talking about a few different things, so sorry for muddying the waters of the thread further. There's a lot of confusion about the new 7 and 200 routings. I am happy to hear, however, that the 200 will stop at Joseph and Victoria (thanks to dunkalunk and others for bringing the weird stop spacing to GRT's attention). I do wonder why the 200 can't turn left at King and Victoria, but the Joseph stop is much better than the previously identified stop.

Totally agree... the Region should be doing all they can to start building as much ridership as possible from King/Victoria... but oh surprise, NO stops for either the 200 or NB 7 there. Puzzling. The 200 stopping at King/Vic should have been a major priority since the initial detours, but it actually has NEVER stopped there!!!
There's a 'Buses Excepted' sign hanging for the left turn from eastbound King to northbound Victoria, though I don't think any route makes that turn. The same could be done for the left for the 200- just until Ion runs.

(09-05-2017, 02:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: There's a 'Buses Excepted' sign hanging for the left turn from eastbound King to northbound Victoria, though I don't think any route makes that turn. The same could be done for the left for the 200- just until Ion runs.

I thought I saw the opposite, that left turns were banned for King drivers, and banned for all but bus drivers on Victoria. This would make sense, because there is only one lane on King, so any driver trying to turn left holds up all traffic behind them (I've seen instances of a car have to wait for a third light cycle to go through the intersection, because the first two were held up due to left-turning vehicles. On Victoria, there are two through-lanes in each direction, so while it isn't ideal to have a truck/bus stopping half of traffic because they want to turn left onto King, at least they aren't completely stopping traffic.

If I saw correctly.
You may have seen correctly, and I incorrectly. You're right that the exemption would make more sense on Victoria than on King, but the exception can be made. Six 200s an hour carrying x riders might delay some number of motorists by a minute or two, conceivably, but I think urbd's point about building ridership near King and Victoria is a very good one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »