Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Take Appleby Line north from Derry Road; there's an epic switchback up the escarpment. Just watch out for all the cyclists on the weekend.

(01-27-2015, 08:26 AM)Canard Wrote: Guelph Line is a great route, agreed. Very relaxing (and scenic) drive. There are some wonderful back roads in that area if you're looking for some Sunday-afternoon drives.

(Pedestrians and cyclists, cover your ears, pretend I didn't just advocate driving... For FUN! Horrors.)

I've driven from Halifax to Kelowna, and looped Detroit-Chicago-Pittsburgh-Niagara Falls, and it's very fun to drive without a schedule, and without repetition. But on a daily basis, I really appreciate the ability to not need to do so. But here, I do appreciate that a scenic getaway is only a short hop away.
(01-27-2015, 09:14 AM)jamincan Wrote: Take Appleby Line north from Derry Road; there's an epic switchback up the escarpment. Just watch out for all the cyclists on the weekend.

That's one of my favourites.  There's another switchback in Belfountain that's fun to take, but we're off the topic of GO Transit now, so that's all I'll say.
(01-27-2015, 08:26 AM)Canard Wrote: (Pedestrians and cyclists, cover your ears, pretend I didn't just advocate driving... For FUN! Horrors.)
Everything in moderation
Commitment by new mayors remains strong for two-way all-day GO trains

Brampton has joined the consortium of Kitchener, Waterloo, Waterloo Region, and Guelph lobbying for 2-way all-day GO service along the Kitchener line.  Representatives have recently met with Brad Duguid, Minister of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure aiming to get the line mentioned in the next budget (tweet).

Could we see implementation sooner than the 10-year horizon hinted at last election?  Optimistically, how long would it take to complete environmental assessments and then construction (grade separation and double tracking) if this project became a priority?
(02-08-2015, 01:17 PM)willow Wrote: Optimistically, how long would it take to complete environmental assessments and then construction (grade separation and double tracking) if this project became a priority?

EAs keep on growing in scope and reach. I would say at least a year for the EA alone if not two. In Toronto a few years back it took two or three years to do the environmental assessment for the subway line through urban areas. What they were afraid they could damage the sensitive asphalt ecology?
I thought transit projects got an accelerated EA process now?

Metrolinx Begins Early Works for GO Transit Expansion

Urban Toronto ran an article (February 12, 2015) on the expansion and electrification of GO Train Services to Hamilton, Kitchener and Barrie.

[Image: Mjxe9fa.jpg]
I realize this thread is largely focused on GO trains, but I'm curious. Is there no weekend service between Kitchener/Waterloo and Guelph with the GO bus?

If there isn't, is VIA the only option?
(03-09-2015, 01:05 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I realize this thread is largely focused on GO trains, but I'm curious. Is there no weekend service between Kitchener/Waterloo and Guelph with the GO bus?

If there isn't, is VIA the only option?

You can take the 25 GO bus to Aberfoyle park and ride, then connect to one of the GO buses to Guelph. It's not very fast though.

Greyhound serves Kitchener to Guelph with about 7 buses/day on weekends, so it's a decent alternative to VIA.
What's the best way to catch a ride on one of the Double-Deckers? What routes come in and out of Kitchener and where do they go/terminate?
There's only one GO route into KW with any real service, route 25 to Square One in Mississauga. It's not hard to catch a double decker on it, they're far more common than the single deckers. The exception is the 25A, which goes to Milton and I don't think has double deckers.

If you're just riding it to try a double decker you can catch it in Waterloo at UW DC and take it to Kitchener or Cambridge, then catch the iXpress back. Be aware most letter versions run express, so a Waterloo to Cambridge trip requires a plain 25.
Has anyone else noticed that the windows on the upper deck aren't sealed very well? Going down the highway is like being in a plane that's always landing; my ears always want to pop.

(03-09-2015, 11:42 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There's only one GO route into KW with any real service, route 25 to Square One in Mississauga. It's not hard to catch a double decker on it, they're far more common than the single deckers. The exception is the 25A, which goes to Milton and I don't think has double deckers.

If you're just riding it to try a double decker you can catch it in Waterloo at UW DC and take it to Kitchener or Cambridge, then catch the iXpress back. Be aware most letter versions run express, so a Waterloo to Cambridge trip requires a plain 25.

Nope, the 25A trips in the morning are double deckers. You're right. It's easier to catch a double decker out of Waterloo Region than it is a single deck GO bus.
I can't recall the last time I saw a single deck GO bus in town.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »