Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bright Building (749 King St W) | 18 + 3 fl | U/C
(07-26-2020, 10:35 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Why the white(ish) concrete tho! Reminds me of old school office, think Mutual Life. They used some on the new AAA office in DTK but imo should have just gone all glass/something diff.
If they pull it off alright (high quality) then it should be fine and a nice break from all the plain glass buildings go up. 

If it's done well I think it'll be a appreciated in the future when it stands out amongst a sea of other glass buildings that will inevitably be propsed and built. It has to be done right for that to happen tho

Gotta say I like the podium.
Ground level rendering from the website. https://images.ctfassets.net/40dvx7jqs1c...jpg?w=2500
(07-27-2020, 03:19 PM)Acitta Wrote: Ground level rendering from the website. https://images.ctfassets.net/40dvx7jqs1c...jpg?w=2500

It looks nice.  I agree with a few comments ago that the white-ish concrete wall on the tower isn't beautiful, but at the same time I think that the really important part is only the podium.  Anyone living/working/eating right here will hardly even notice the tower.
How does one know the wall is concrete?
The podium makes this way more interesting than before.

Only a small detail on this project, but I wish renders were somehow required to accurately portray the street-scape. This new one seems to imply on street parking / a loading zone (or maybe those cars are just driving, hard to tell I suppose). At least it doesn't have 10 people, including a woman pushing a stroller, on the ION tracks like the original render. This is a lot more tame than other projects, but the dishonesty always bothers me.
(07-27-2020, 03:19 PM)Acitta Wrote: Ground level rendering from the website. https://images.ctfassets.net/40dvx7jqs1c...jpg?w=2500

Very nice looking. Pity they didn’t think to make the architecturally suggested portico an actual portico with a function, rather than only a form.

PS Sorry I always go on about this. I need somewhere to do so and this is it.

The new podium look is a huge improvement, far better interaction with the street. If developments can be like this all along King St it would really be one continuous retail strip from downtown to uptown.

At the same time, why do developers put grass/flower sections between the building and the store front?! It greatly reduces the visibility of the store front, and I'd much rather have the greenery between the sidewalk and road, or a wider sidewalk. I think the part of walking along King St in downtown or uptown that makes walking so much more enjoyable is looking in the windows of all the different businesses. I feel like we apply suburban setback requirements because we can't imagine building to the property line anymore, and then don't encourage developers to treat them as a wider sidewalk (1 Victoria is one of the rare examples of doing this correctly IMO).
(07-27-2020, 04:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote: How does one know the wall is concrete?
I can confirm it is painted concrete.
(07-27-2020, 07:43 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 04:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote: How does one know the wall is concrete?

I can confirm it is painted concrete.

I think that disqualifies it as a brutalist building! Tongue
Huge improvement to the street interaction. Nice
Yah that's the pic I was looking for.

Great curb appeal.

Hopefully it actually gets built like that with a nice resto/retail in there.
(07-27-2020, 07:23 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

The new podium look is a huge improvement, far better interaction with the street. If developments can be like this all along King St it would really be one continuous retail strip from downtown to uptown.

At the same time, why do developers put grass/flower sections between the building and the store front?! It greatly reduces the visibility of the store front, and I'd much rather have the greenery between the sidewalk and road, or a wider sidewalk. I think the part of walking along King St in downtown or uptown that makes walking so much more enjoyable is looking in the windows of all the different businesses. I feel like we apply suburban setback requirements because we can't imagine building to the property line anymore, and then don't encourage developers to treat them as a wider sidewalk (1 Victoria is one of the rare examples of doing this correctly IMO).
I completely agree. The podium is visually okay, but the effect of the planting between the sidewalk and the podium, and the business entrance being to the side gives it a somewhat less urban feel for me. The plantings would be far better next to the curb providing a buffer between the sidewalk and the street.

(07-27-2020, 07:23 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

Google, KCI, GRH and the Mutual, among others, pretty much ensure that that can never happen, no?
(07-28-2020, 09:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 07:23 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The new podium look is a huge improvement, far better interaction with the street. If developments can be like this all along King St it would really be one continuous retail strip from downtown to uptown.

Google, KCI, GRH and the Mutual, among others, pretty much ensure that that can never happen, no?

I think you're right for GRH, as it's a whole block. But the downtown and uptown retail strips are already interrupted by office buildings, civic buildings, public square, etc. but I still think of them as pretty continuous. I guess I mean "mostly continuous with minor interruptions, enough to be pleasant to walk" .
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »