Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bright Building (749 King St W) | 18 + 3 fl | U/C
The Bright Building
749 King St West, Kitchener
https://www.thebrightbuilding.ca/
Developer:?
Architect: Martin Simmons

[Image: Hudson-01.jpg?w=3000]

[Image: Hudson-02.jpg?w=3000]
(image source http://www.martinsimmons.ca/projects/the-hudson)

So they must have bought 737 and 741 King St. buildings out! I wondered why one doctor I knew left 751 King St, now I know! Thank you.
Great find. I think this project is being developed by HIP Developments referenced a couple of places the first being post #449 in the General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours thread.

I really like that HIP is making projects that are unique.
(05-13-2018, 10:41 PM)Lens Wrote:
The Hudson
749 King St West, Kitchener
http://www.martinsimmons.ca/projects/the-hudson
Developer:?
Architect: Martin Simmons

[Image: Hudson-01.jpg?w=3000]

[Image: Hudson-02.jpg?w=3000]
(image source http://www.martinsimmons.ca/projects/the-hudson)

The NIMBY's will come out fast and quick on this one. Just watch.

Other than that, I like it. Wondering if this is why my doctor and pharmacist vacated this property.
Ooh. Yet another inaccurate rendering of the LRVs.
Is that a mid block laneway? I know Midtown PARTS called for the addition of more but I wonder if this is just a Laneway to back lot parking.
Cool project. I like the slim profile from the front, but worry that looking North (West) on King it's going to look like a huge wall.

Current building:

Also note the "741" building in the rendering -- it does not match the current building above (beige stucco house with dark brown roof). It appears that this house is part of the 749 development, which will encompass a low-rise 741 building (with medical space?) and a high-rise residential 749 building.

Regarding the laneway, the 741 property reaches all the way back to Walter St, as does 749/751 at the other edge of the property, which would enable them to do a laneway. There already is a small path on the 741 side; the 751 side uses the reach for a secondary parking entrance.
As a KCI alumnus, I do mourn for the loss of the east wing classrooms' view of downtown.

But I can't argue against its suitability here, this is just what midtown needs.
I love how the LRT rapidway is a place for people to congregate, walk their baby strollers, etc.
(05-14-2018, 12:51 PM)timc Wrote: I love how the LRT rapidway is a place for people to congregate, walk their baby strollers, etc.

It's a MUR!  (Multi-Use Rapidway …)  Big Grin
(05-14-2018, 12:51 PM)timc Wrote: I love how the LRT rapidway is a place for people to congregate, walk their baby strollers, etc.

Cuz that's the way it looks now. I can't imagine that changing for some time, even once the LRT gets going. The KCI kids like doing their chatting on the tracks. I could add other stuff, but I want to keep my warning level at 0%.

My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

Why are there so many larger tower developments and so few mid-sized developments (Red, Cortes, 42)? Is it not economically viable with the zoning/parking restrictions? I'd much rather see 3 buildings of 6 stories each all along King than 1 tall one.

Perhaps knowing the push back they'd get they have purposely asked for more so the have room to "compromise" and get what they really want?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-14-2018, 08:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

Why are there so many larger tower developments and so few mid-sized developments (Red, Cortes, 42)? Is it not economically viable with the zoning/parking restrictions? I'd much rather see 3 buildings of 6 stories each all along King than 1 tall one.

Perhaps knowing the push back they'd get they have purposely asked for more so the have room to "compromise" and get what they really want?

I think this part of "mid-town" has been designated for taller buildings. You'll eventually see plans coming up the street towards Waterloo as well (Sunlife parking lot). And there is indeed a very large 12-story building across street, my uncle used to live in there, before he passed away. So no sore thumbs, plus not that far up the street is Sunlife, so they're close enough to start to blend.

Same developer as Breithtaupt, so this should be an interesting go.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »