Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(05-24-2019, 10:39 PM)Lens Wrote: I don't have a ton of confidence in this developer yet. They're a student block builder and this is a WAY different building in context, height, and buyers. Will be interesting to watch.

This issue has nothing to do with the developer.   It is as simple as the contractor rented a crane and the provided equipment had an issue.  Now they have to remedy it.  The crane is extremely integral to the build and safety has to be the number one priority over delays. This crew has worked faster than any other project I have seen in the region. I suspect once the crane is functional you will see a blistering pace of work.

That crane looks sketchy and old. I would question its ability to hoist fly forms 39fl up. Definitely staying away from that site.
2019-05-26

Hmm.  Trying to fix the crane on a late Sunday afternoon...  22 Frederick is in the background. 

The crane is working today.  It just hoisted the portable toilet into place.  If there are no more issues, work should resume after a three week delay.
(05-27-2019, 08:58 AM)jgsz Wrote: The crane is working today.  It just hoisted the portable toilet into place.  If there are no more issues, work should resume after a three week delay.

Probably the most important component in the crane assembly. IMHO.
2019-05-29

Work continues on this site.  This morning they put this large green tube in the area that was lower than the rest of the rebar.  Perhaps some readers know what this is all about.

Among its many amenities, Duke Tower will offer residents a communal well, accessed from the parking garage .... Wink

(05-29-2019, 08:59 AM)jgsz Wrote: This morning they put this large green tube in the area that was lower than the rest of the rebar.

A sump pit? It looks like the drain pipes in your photo lead to it.
(05-29-2019, 10:16 AM)EdM Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 08:59 AM)jgsz Wrote: This morning they put this large green tube in the area that was lower than the rest of the rebar.

A sump pit? It looks like the drain pipes in your photo lead to it.

Correct. The green tube is part of the sump pump system.
(05-29-2019, 09:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Among its many amenities, Duke Tower will offer residents a communal well, accessed from the parking garage ....  Wink

I heard it was a fountain of youth !!!
(05-29-2019, 10:45 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 10:16 AM)EdM Wrote: A sump pit? It looks like the drain pipes in your photo lead to it.

Correct. The green tube is part of the sump pump system.

I think because the building is built on so much sand, they need to drain the water away to avoid and hydraulic pressure build up underneath the foundation pad...
A big concrete pour today, with cranes pumping the concrete from Frederick St.
(06-01-2019, 09:39 AM)tomh009 Wrote: A big concrete pour today, with cranes pumping the concrete from Frederick St.

Yes, it is a big concrete pour.  It started at 4:00 AM!  We were told it will last until midnight but the noise will subside around 9:00 PM.  By the way, this was the second time Frederick Street was closed for this project but, unless I'm looking in the wrong place, there was no mention of the street closing. 

You can see where the elevators are going to go there's a depression in the rebar with wooden forms. That solved what the hole in the first pour by the crane was for because in the plans there is an elevator across from the 3 main elevators.
2019-06-02

Before and after.  The first pic shows the job site at the end of Friday, May 31.   The second pic shows the site this morning.  They were still pouring the concrete during the heavy rains yesterday.  This morning they covered the fresh concrete.  

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »