Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Garment Street Condos | 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(04-21-2022, 05:17 PM)Serendipity Wrote: When I did a walk through at the end of Feb, my unit was very warm so it's surprising to me that the pipes would freeze.

(04-21-2022, 03:14 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: The building is fully enclosed, at this point mechanical systems are functioning heating the building. You cannot do any other finishing in below zero temps such as tape, paint, tile etc.

Not suggesting it was the case, just giving my interpretation of Tom's post. But interesting to hear nonetheless.

Although now I'm curious, can heat be turned on floor by floor before the tower is fully enclosed? i.e. are floors reasonably insulated from each other? I was under the impression on taller buildings that work begins finishing lower units before the entire tower is enclosed.

I think that there couldn’t have been that much damage done to the units in the podium. I would think that those units would still be starting the occupancy soon.
(04-21-2022, 06:41 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 05:17 PM)Serendipity Wrote: When I did a walk through at the end of Feb, my unit was very warm so it's surprising to me that the pipes would freeze.

(04-21-2022, 03:14 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: The building is fully enclosed, at this point mechanical systems are functioning heating the building. You cannot do any other finishing in below zero temps such as tape, paint, tile etc.

Not suggesting it was the case, just giving my interpretation of Tom's post. But interesting to hear nonetheless.

Although now I'm curious, can heat be turned on floor by floor before the tower is fully enclosed? i.e. are floors reasonably insulated from each other? I was under the impression on taller buildings that work begins finishing lower units before the entire tower is enclosed.

There are multiple heating sources that help keep entire building warm. From the state of this building the mech penthouse is operational so the make up air unit is pumping warm air throughout each corridor, this alone is enough to keep an enclosed building ok. Depending on what stage the suites are they will have their fancoil/heatpump units on where suites are at final stage. Upper floors they could be using electric or gas heaters through the winter.
(04-21-2022, 05:17 PM)Serendipity Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 02:27 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I think his point was that the ice indicates temperatures were low enough for pipes freezing to be a possibility. Assuming indoor temperatures were similar to outside.

When I did a walk through at the end of Feb, my unit was very warm so it's surprising to me that the pipes would freeze.

I’m just wondering if the elevators are installed and working yet. Did you see that?
(04-25-2022, 05:57 PM)JK2021 Wrote:

I’m just wondering if the elevators are installed and working yet. Did you see that?

They were not functional at the time. We had to use the construction elevator.
(04-26-2022, 07:26 PM)Serendipity Wrote: They were not functional at the time. We had to use the construction elevator.

Ok but does it look like they are completely installed?
(04-26-2022, 07:26 PM)Serendipity Wrote: They were not functional at the time. We had to use the construction elevator.

Just wondering what you refer to as construction elevator? If it was inside the building that would be the permanent elevator. I doubt they took you up the exterior construction hoist...?

(04-27-2022, 01:57 PM)skyrise32 Wrote:

Just wondering what you refer to as construction elevator? If it was inside the building that would be the permanent elevator. I doubt they took you up the exterior construction hoist...?

Why not? My Charlie West PDI was later, but when I did an early construction site visit (at a time that they were already doing PDIs for lower floors) we had to use the exterior construction hoist.

They have loaner steel toed boots, hard hats, and high vis vests for people visiting.
(04-27-2022, 02:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 01:57 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: Just wondering what you refer to as construction elevator? If it was inside the building that would be the permanent elevator. I doubt they took you up the exterior construction hoist...?

Why not? My Charlie West PDI was later, but when I did an early construction site visit (at a time that they were already doing PDIs for lower floors) we had to use the exterior construction hoist.

They have loaner steel toed boots, hard hats, and high vis vests for people visiting.

Oh ok, surprised. That is typically not done in GTA, PDI is all you get.
Anyone know the new occupancy date? I'm worry that my pre-approved mortgage will be expired before the occupancy date.
Anyone knows the new occupancy date?
(04-11-2022, 03:21 PM)jeremyroman Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 11:12 AM)JK2021 Wrote: Anyone have any information on the extent of the damage? How many floors were affected?

I'd taken a photo on the 29th which gives some indication.
Anyone knows the new occupancy date?
Anyone knows the nes occupancy date

(04-27-2022, 01:57 PM)skyrise32 Wrote:

Yes, they took us up the exterior construction hoist. Told us it would be removed after construction was completed Smile
(05-10-2022, 08:50 AM)Serendipity Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 01:57 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: Just wondering what you refer to as construction elevator? If it was inside the building that would be the permanent elevator. I doubt they took you up the exterior construction hoist...?

Yes, they took us up the exterior construction hoist. Told us it would be removed after construction was completed Smile

Does anyone have any information about the state of the elevators inside? I think that might be holding things up
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »