Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carshare in Waterloo Region
Carsharing in Waterloo Region

Some news at Community CarShare: several new rate plans (Occasional Plan and Corporate Distance Plan), drivers who are 18 or have only a G2 can drive as of March 1, and there's a new program that allows vehicles to be reserved at several dozen new "Quantum Stations" all throughout Kitchener-Waterloo.
I was surprised not to be able to find a thread about Community Car Share. If there is one already (I really thought that there was), apologies.

I suppose we have a lot of car share members on here. An e-mail was sent to co-op members on the weekend outlining the challenges facing the car share, and posing the question of whether the co-op should reincorporate as a for-profit co-op in order to seek new financing, or sell to Communauto, which has expressed interest.

Personally, I'm torn about those two options, but think that the Communauto purchase would be interesting. I'm pleased they see a possibility for successful car share in KW and the other cities Community Car Share serves. Of course, others have recently, too, but this seems more tangible. I'm really curious to see what the membership ultimately decides about a Communauto sale.
Do they have a new challenge? Is the membership and/or car usage dropping? Or is this an ongoing, long-term challenge?
Membership has steadily grown since inception, as far as I know. I believe these are ongoing challenges.
(09-25-2017, 10:18 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I was surprised not to be able to find a thread about Community Car Share. If there is one already (I really thought that there was), apologies.

There was! And now the threads are merged!
Thanks! Sorry again! I didn't think to search for it as one word.

Big news:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/CarShareCoop?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CarShareCoop</a> AGM has voted to direct its next board to pursue negotiations for acquisition of its operations by <a href="https://twitter.com/Communauto?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Communauto</a> / <a href="https://twitter.com/vrtucar?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@vrtucar</a>.</p>&mdash; Michael Druker (@m_druker) <a href="https://twitter.com/m_druker/status/918289661365313537?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 12, 2017</a></blockquote>

Community CarShare has been in a perilous financial situation for a little while now. Basically one that was only feasible in an environment of continued growth.

Apparently they've been in discussions with Communauto of Montreal, who were interested in acquiring CCS as a way of entering the south Ontario market. The values of Communauto align fairly well with CCS, despite being a private company (as opposed to a non-profit co-op).

It's increasingly been a risk that one day one of the big players in Toronto, ZipCar, AutoShare, or Car2Go would decide to expand, and they have large multi-national backing (the former two are owned by rental car companies Budget and Enterprise respectively).
Maven is already in Kitchener, too, albeit with only five (or four?) cars.

Car2Go is Daimler, and Maven is GM.
The saving grace thus far, has been that the big players have not yet jumped full in.  They keep toying with these small little efforts that aren't really a comprehensive choice for locals.

The danger has always been that a big operator shows up one day with 30+ cars and at undercutting rates.
(10-12-2017, 12:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maven is already in Kitchener, too, albeit with only five (or four?) cars.

Car2Go is Daimler, and Maven is GM.

Maven is more of a GM experiment they have five cars but in one parking lot across the street from GM's innovation office in Communitech, it's not intended to be a real competitive service.
A big meeting tonight for Community CarShare.  If you're a member, be sure to head out.
Kitchener-Waterloo Venue: Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church, 50 Erb St. W., Waterloo
Hamilton Venue: Staybridge Hotel and Suites, 20 Caroline St. S., Hamilton

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/community-ca...9779362143

Some very existential motions are proposed regarding the possible sale to Communauto.
(11-22-2017, 03:06 PM)Markster Wrote: A big meeting tonight for Community CarShare.  If you're a member, be sure to head out.
Kitchener-Waterloo Venue: Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church, 50 Erb St. W., Waterloo
Hamilton Venue: Staybridge Hotel and Suites, 20 Caroline St. S., Hamilton

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/community-ca...9779362143

Some very existential motions are proposed regarding the possible sale to Communauto.

Shoot, somehow I missed the email and saw this way too late.

So ... what was the outcome?
Membership gave the Board approval to negotiate a definitive sales agreement with Communauto/VRTUCAR, and execute it without going back to the membership.

If an agreement can be reached wherein VRTUCAR takes over all of the co-op's debt, the car share will be sold.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »