Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
One Hundred | 21 & 17 fl | U/C
Duke and College!?

(08-09-2016, 03:59 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 05:46 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Article in the Record on the results of the OMB hearing. An exciting little tid bit in there saying that Momentum us working on the details for a new Downtown project.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/680075...eet-condos

Charles and Gaukel???? haha

I missed where they said that.  Although I'm disappointed to hear that there might be some reduction in retail.  As someone who already lives nearby, that was a big attraction for me.
(08-09-2016, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 03:59 PM)Spokes Wrote: Charles and Gaukel???? haha

I missed where they said that.  Although I'm disappointed to hear that there might be some reduction in retail.  As someone who already lives nearby, that was a big attraction for me.

Spokes was referring to insider's rumoured Charles/Gaukel redevelopment thread, which has yet to materialize, about a year later.  Search still finds it here, but it seems that maybe the thread was deleted?
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=471
(08-09-2016, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I missed where they said that.  Although I'm disappointed to hear that there might be some reduction in retail.  As someone who already lives nearby, that was a big attraction for me.

“The original plans called for 306 units. But now the exact number is not known because demand has been so strong the developer wants to convert some of the proposed commercial units into residential units.”

Perhaps demand was so strong because of the commercial proportion of mixed-uses within the complex. If I purchased based on the original plan because I thought there might be useful work, service, and play opportunities at my doorstep I’d be upset that opportunity would no longer exist if commercial was converted to residential. It’s one thing when you purchase and your kitchen counter ends up a few cm short of what was promised 3 years previous in a sales room with rough model plans, but this practice seems more like a bait and switch.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
My memory of this project was ground floor retail, with a couple floors of office above, and then residential above that. I would guess that they're converting the office to residential, rather than the retail. Ground floor condos in a building like this would be odd. Assuming that's true I don't see it as being a big deal for buyers, office isn't really an amenity that you buy for.
(08-09-2016, 03:59 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 05:46 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Article in the Record on the results of the OMB hearing. An exciting little tid bit in there saying that Momentum us working on the details for a new Downtown project.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/680075...eet-condos

Charles and Gaukel???? haha

Has me wondering if the picture rendered in the drawing, if you look towards the right, it's where the HUB is supposed to be, could that be what they're referring to? The building doesn't look like 1 Victoria to me, though perhaps it is...
(08-09-2016, 08:30 PM)taylortbb Wrote: My memory of this project was ground floor retail, with a couple floors of office above, and then residential above that. I would guess that they're converting the office to residential, rather than the retail. Ground floor condos in a building like this would be odd. Assuming that's true I don't see it as being a big deal for buyers, office isn't really an amenity that you buy for.

I think that's a good guess. And some office suites in One Victoria are still trying to find buyers, so I wouldn't be too upset if they saw that there was lesser demand for the office suites, and convert them to residential instead. It's too bad, as that mix of several uses are great, but probably understandable.

(08-10-2016, 07:09 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 08:30 PM)taylortbb Wrote: My memory of this project was ground floor retail, with a couple floors of office above, and then residential above that. I would guess that they're converting the office to residential, rather than the retail. Ground floor condos in a building like this would be odd. Assuming that's true I don't see it as being a big deal for buyers, office isn't really an amenity that you buy for.

I think that's a good guess. And some office suites in One Victoria are still trying to find buyers, so I wouldn't be too upset if they saw that there was lesser demand for the office suites, and convert them to residential instead. It's too bad, as that mix of several uses are great, but probably understandable.

I vaguely recall seeing that they were looking hard for office tenants in 100 too. It makes sense to me that they'd convert away if they're having trouble.
(08-09-2016, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 03:59 PM)Spokes Wrote: Charles and Gaukel???? haha

My guess is that the ground floor retail will stay, but the office space in the podium will be gone?
From reading the Kitchener Post article on how OMB decision it sounds like ground breaking is optimistically 5 months away.
(08-27-2016, 12:14 PM)rangersfan Wrote: From reading the Kitchener Post article on how OMB decision it sounds like ground breaking is optimistically 5 months away.

IIRC that's about a year later than originally proposed.
Am I correct in saying that this will be the tallest building in Kitchener and the first to break the 20 story mark?
(08-27-2016, 01:42 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Am I correct in saying that this will be the tallest building in Kitchener and the first to break the 20 story mark?

Yeah, I think it is the first to break the 20 story barrier for Kitchener....

Unsure if it's the tallest, but likely is.

Hopefully Kitchener will be the first to the 30 story building mark with the King Crossing Building Smile
The official site for this project still has the towers 15 and 19 stories, hopefully it is just outdated.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »