Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
(11-09-2021, 01:20 PM)Votemac Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 12:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There is currently an issue with the theme -- you can get the attachment functionality back if you switch the theme to "Default" (bottom right corner of the page).

oh boy i'm not having any luck with this, see post above for result

On the bright side, you can see the picture in all its glory by right-clicking and selecting view image in new tab.

(11-09-2021, 01:20 PM)Votemac Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 12:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There is currently an issue with the theme -- you can get the attachment functionality back if you switch the theme to "Default" (bottom right corner of the page).

oh boy i'm not having any luck with this, see post above for result

You just need to click the "Insert into post" button at the end -- that will resize appropriately (see it now).
Looks like it's worked now. Thanks for the support!
Cool, docs including drawings and a new render are up for phase 2 and 3

Won’t let me post the pics but here’s the link

https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...475814.pdf

If anyone is wondering about the heights of these bad boys:
Building C = 100.5m
Building D = 112.3m
Building E = 155.7m
About time, I've pestered them for weeks to get those up so people can finally see the project.

Building E is going to look great, I hope! I forget what the files say - if anything (been a while since I've studied them) - so I can't remember the materials used on the 44 floor tower. That said, COR-TEN steel would be absolutely perfect for those brown looking sections. One of my favourite towers at the Leeds Beckett University in Leeds, England uses COR-TEN in a very similar design manner and I think it would make Building E of Station Park be one of the true standouts of current architectural design in the region if it tried to do something similar.

Broadcasting Tower, Leeds, England:

[Image: broadcasting_place_f251010_wpp1.jpg]

If you need a visual example as to high 155 meters is, take about 1 floor off the tallest tower you see here in Manchester and see. This thing is going to look massive for us. I suspect it'll start the game where developers start to one up each other and build even taller (seriously), which happens in most important cities. It's already taller than 30 Francis, which has the same number of floors.
Here are some new renderings and plans of phase 1: 

[Image: PDRsNju.png][Image: SJopqqC.png][Image: 4aiFKbG.png][Image: aSGtkQm.png][Image: 4mhFXP5.png]
Here are some new renderings and plans of phases 2 and 3: 

[Image: PIeuqgY.png][Image: 5A3BzLJ.png][Image: 62glkpP.png][Image: 1YuKgNB.png][Image: OeQMjk7.png][Image: ZqMfD1A.png]

I wonder when the demo permit will be issued for phase 2. I also don’t mind the looks of phase 2 tower C and D depending on what the colours and material will be it could turn out nice.

As for tower E, that thing is a monster and will look absolutely massive in Kitchener
Monster in the best possible way ... :^) The rest of Station Park is boring and generic but Building E could look great.
(11-11-2021, 04:35 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I wonder when the demo permit will be issued for phase 2.

What is the timing like between sales and the beginning of demolition/construction? 
Condo Culture has said sales will start early in the new year.
(11-11-2021, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Monster in the best possible way ... :^) The rest of Station Park is boring and generic but Building E could look great.

I agrees completely! Building E is the only unique building. I hope they use cor-ten steel for the panels! seams like a pipe dream for a residential tower in this region, but one can hope. Building A and B seam to be using high quality cladding materials and should look ok. Personally I don't like the massing of the buildings C and D. They are awkward looking and seam like something that would be designed and built in yaletown (Vancouver) in the 90's. I also don't like that the parking podium is so close to the rail line. I would have like a couple meter setback to accommodate a future multi-use trail on that side of the track.
The floorplans for the retail in Building E, pages 6-8 of https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...0Plans.pdf , are pretty interesting. Looks Building E is being designed heavily around having a full size grocery store in it. At street level there's a loading dock for three trucks, with an elevator up to the area marked "Food Store". The grocery store appears to be one-two levels above ground (ground is sloped), with escalators up from the street level lobby at the corner closest to downtown/the transit hub. There's smaller retail units fronting King St on the level below the grocery store.

I think this is the first multi-level retail complex I've seen proposed in DTK, probably since the now failed malls were built. The setup with the second level grocery store is similar to what Loblaws has in downtown Toronto, https://goo.gl/maps/y3oRi4mTYTQwTwwS6 . Having been in that grocery store, it's as large as a suburban one with far more product selection than you'd find in somewhere like Marche Leo's.

I'm also relieved to see retails units facing King St, as the rest of the project hasn't really been great for addressing King St. So far having preferring to orient its retail units inwards.
Interesting also on page 8 there is a Zamboni room in the plans. Goes to show that skating rink they are talking about will actually be legit.

(11-11-2021, 04:00 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Cool, docs including drawings and a new render are up for phase 2 and 3

Won’t let me post the pics but here’s the link

https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...475814.pdf

If anyone is wondering about the heights of these bad boys:
Building C = 100.5m
Building D = 112.3m
Building E = 155.7m

Vanmar posted pictures of building A/B on Instagram today and in the caption it says phase 2 (Building C and D) will have a 40 floor building which is different than what is stated in the documents that are attached since they say 32 and 36 floors for phase 2 so unless it is a typo we could be getting more height in the remaining phases than the documents suggest.
Having a design for a grocery store is nice, but still need to find a tenant who wants to open a store in DTK. And now, with Marche Leo's open already, there is some competition already. Maybe they will have a store open there, or maybe not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »