Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(07-23-2021, 04:25 PM)Gubs Wrote: Am I the only one thinking about this?…..

It has been 2 1/2 years since they began work on this project. They have completed 4 floors.

As a nearby resident, we have endured the noise, the dirt & dust, the workers swearing, the disregard for local parking rules, multiple road closures, AND, the great flood (a.k.a. “Lake Cameron).

At the rate they have progressed it will be the year 2032 before this project is complete.

Is this too much to ask a neighbourhood to put up with?

Drewlo is usually pretty good at getting work done in a timely fashion. I imagine it will continue to speed up.

It has been 2 1/2 years since they began work on this project. They have completed 4 floors.

As a nearby resident, we have endured the noise, the dirt & dust, the workers swearing, the disregard for local parking rules, multiple road closures, AND, the great flood (a.k.a. “Lake Cameron).

At the rate they have progressed it will be the year 2032 before this project is complete.

I actually get what you're talking about. One project by itself may not be bad, but the amount of construction that has happened in this area over the last few years starts to add up. In the four years I've lived here we've had Drewlo, Market Flats and the roadwork on Weber. There were times when King and Weber had road or lane closures at the same time causing all traffic to divert to Duke and the side streets and a lot of people seemed to not realize (or care) that Duke is one way which caused multiple car accidents. Not to mention all the trucks and noise that goes along with these projects. The pandemic stopping Drewlo was actually a nice break. 

I just keep reminding myself that having a revitalized King East is going to be a good thing, even if means having to be annoyed at the process of getting there.
(07-24-2021, 09:46 AM)ac3r Wrote: Drewlo shut down the site during for a few months in early 2020 due to the pandemic, which was a good choice out of respect for their workers. That said, yeah they are still taking a hell of a long time to make any progress on this since they've been back up and running.

I forget the exact details, but they were closed by the ministry of labour. I think it was because only residential projects above grade were allowed to continue work. They risked it and kept going and got caught and I believe had a two month shutdown penalty
(07-26-2021, 08:45 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:

I actually get what you're talking about. One project by itself may not be bad, but the amount of construction that has happened in this area over the last few years starts to add up. In the four years I've lived here we've had Drewlo, Market Flats and the roadwork on Weber. There were times when King and Weber had road or lane closures at the same time causing all traffic to divert to Duke and the side streets and a lot of people seemed to not realize (or care) that Duke is one way which caused multiple car accidents. Not to mention all the trucks and noise that goes along with these projects. The pandemic stopping Drewlo was actually a nice break. 

I just keep reminding myself that having a revitalized King East is going to be a good thing, even if means having to be annoyed at the process of getting there.

It will be a nice city if they ever get it finished?
(07-26-2021, 09:17 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:45 AM)BruceAshe Wrote: I actually get what you're talking about. One project by itself may not be bad, but the amount of construction that has happened in this area over the last few years starts to add up. In the four years I've lived here we've had Drewlo, Market Flats and the roadwork on Weber. There were times when King and Weber had road or lane closures at the same time causing all traffic to divert to Duke and the side streets and a lot of people seemed to not realize (or care) that Duke is one way which caused multiple car accidents. Not to mention all the trucks and noise that goes along with these projects. The pandemic stopping Drewlo was actually a nice break. 

It will be a nice city if they ever get it finished?

"Finished" seems like an impossible thing lol.  There are so many parking lots along here that as long as the housing market is the way it is I can't see construction along this stretch ending anytime soon.
Entire structures have gone up nearby, are now inhabited, while being started well after this project began.

When the word “onerous” enters into any discussion of this nature, then obviously there is a problem.

I return to my “4 floors in 2 1/2 years comment”.
Havent seen anyone talking about this but both towers are above the podium now and on to the tower portion.

(10-03-2021, 11:33 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Havent seen anyone talking about this but both towers are above the podium now and on to the tower portion.

Both towers aren't on to the tower portion yet the tower at King and Madison is the only one that is. The tower at Charles and Cameron is still in the podium with a floor or two to go until it's at the top of the podium.
(10-03-2021, 12:40 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 11:33 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Havent seen anyone talking about this but both towers are above the podium now and on to the tower portion.

Both towers aren't on to the tower portion yet the tower at King and Madison is the only one that is. The tower at Charles and Cameron is still in the podium with a floor or two to go until it's at the top of the podium.
(10-04-2021, 09:22 AM)Gubs Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 12:40 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Both towers aren't on to the tower portion yet the tower at King and Madison is the only one that is. The tower at Charles and Cameron is still in the podium with a floor or two to go until it's at the top of the podium.
FYI - all work on the Cameron tower stopped about 6 weeks ago….
I was passing this yesterday while on the LRT and noticed it seems like nothing has progressed on this project at all. I haven't been measuring the floors etc but it seems like it is stalled. I almost never see trucks or workers there.

Is there anyone who lives around here or who checks this project out that can shed some light on what is going on? It has been two years since the cranes went up but they've barely made any progress. I know they willingly shut down at the start of the pandemic and then resumed but then if I remember right, they violated some rules and had to be put on pause. But it has been months since then and they've barely done anything. I was really hoping to see this get finished because, although it's a generic Drewlo project, it is one of the few major projects taking place in the south end of downtown.
(01-17-2022, 10:46 PM)ac3r Wrote: I was passing this yesterday while on the LRT and noticed it seems like nothing has progressed on this project at all. I haven't been measuring the floors etc but it seems like it is stalled. I almost never see trucks or workers there.

Is there anyone who lives around here or who checks this project out that can shed some light on what is going on? It has been two years since the cranes went up but they've barely made any progress. I know they willingly shut down at the start of the pandemic and then resumed but then if I remember right, they violated some rules and had to be put on pause. But it has been months since then and they've barely done anything. I was really hoping to see this get finished because, although it's a generic Drewlo project, it is one of the few major projects taking place in the south end of downtown.

Progress is really slow, but every time I pass it, it still seems to be progressing.
(01-17-2022, 10:46 PM)ac3r Wrote: I was passing this yesterday while on the LRT and noticed it seems like nothing has progressed on this project at all. I haven't been measuring the floors etc but it seems like it is stalled. I almost never see trucks or workers there.

As Acitta said, it is making progress, but it is going slow. It's funny because that project on Weber got started in the early in 2021 and is almost complete in terms of height.

They should be called Sloth Holdings !
It's weird, I swear the apartment buildings they built on Fallowfield went up very quickly.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »