Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Travelling to Toronto is not even remotely a nightmare. It could certainly improve, and improvements are warranted, but it's not terrible either.

(09-01-2021, 09:26 PM)jamincan Wrote: Travelling to Toronto is not even remotely a nightmare. It could certainly improve, and improvements are warranted, but it's not terrible either.

On a weekend it most certainly is. Unless your timing aligns with the only train, it's many hours on two buses. And if you're driving there is still traffic--which you still get stuck in on the bus. 

Citation, I did it last weekend.
We were going down Weber and I noticed a tower crane and a concrete pumping truck on Borden between Weber and East. Anyone know what's going on there?

(On our way to Toronto, as the case may be. We usually take the 30 bus to Bramalea, then take the train from there.)
(09-03-2021, 09:30 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: We were going down Weber and I noticed a tower crane and a concrete pumping truck on Borden between Weber and East. Anyone know what's going on there?

(On our way to Toronto, as the case may be. We usually take the 30 bus to Bramalea, then take the train from there.)

It's a 6 floor midrise development that is being developed by Vive, there's already a thread on it:
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1585
Spotted these NIMBY signs around downtown, just off one of the side streets near the library:

[Image: WkEY7Ia.jpg]

The "unlimited height" claim is rich. Worded that way, you'd think the developers are wanting to build a 68 floor skyscraper. I hope this gets built and these people don't manage to stop it. If I remember right, it was going to be rental units which are in desperate need, though maybe it's condos, I can't remember. Either way, we need more housing ASAP. These privilegey NIMBYs need to understand that. There's already two 18 floor towers right nearby as well, which are in fact even closer to the existing single family homes. 22 Weber West would be on a dumpy parking lot next to a church and some business. There would be no loss of heritage as their website claims.
(09-03-2021, 10:25 AM)ac3r Wrote: Spotted these NIMBY signs around downtown, just off one of the side streets near the library:

[Image: WkEY7Ia.jpg]

The "unlimited height" claim is rich. Worded that way, you'd think the developers are wanting to build a 68 floor skyscraper. I hope this gets built and these people don't manage to stop it. If I remember right, it was going to be rental units which are in desperate need, though maybe it's condos, I can't remember. Either way, we need more housing ASAP. These privilegey NIMBYs need to understand that. There's already two 18 floor towers right nearby as well, which are in fact even closer to the existing single family homes. 22 Weber West would be on a dumpy parking lot next to a church and some business. There would be no loss of heritage as their website claims.

Not challenging you, but don't most condos work as rentals as well? A building like this built specifically as a rental won't have cheaper rents. So it's one super-wealthy landlord versus a mix of owner-occupiers (which we also need) and some-what well off landlords? I would take the later
“Olde Berlin Town”?

Oye Vey!

Agreed, we need more housing, and if so much housing gets built that the value of my property goes down somewhat, I’m OK with that: I’ll have the consolation of knowing that it’s easier for people to find affordable housing in this city.

(09-03-2021, 12:19 PM)WaterLouGehrig Wrote: Not challenging you, but don't most condos work as rentals as well? A building like this built specifically as a rental won't have cheaper rents. So it's one super-wealthy landlord versus a mix of owner-occupiers (which we also need) and some-what well off landlords? I would take the later

I mean you're not wrong, but I would consider apartments distinct from condos. Condo units are purchased entirely by the one purchasing a unit, then the owner owns a unit in an entire building. Apartment buildings you generally pay a month to month rent and are on a lease and you do not own that unit.
(09-03-2021, 12:19 PM)WaterLouGehrig Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 10:25 AM)ac3r Wrote: Spotted these NIMBY signs around downtown, just off one of the side streets near the library:

Not challenging you, but don't most condos work as rentals as well? A building like this built specifically as a rental won't have cheaper rents. So it's one super-wealthy landlord versus a mix of owner-occupiers (which we also need) and some-what well off landlords? I would take the later

Actually no, condos do not work equally well as rentals. The problem with rental condos is that they don't provide the same housing stability as purpose built rentals. A renter living in a condo can be evicted if the owner wants to sell, or wants to live in their unit, but a purpose built building will probably remain a rental building for an indefinite period of time.

Also, while the "super-wealthy landlord" is a hot potato, I will say that a developer/property manager (like Drewlo) who is actually constructing housing is not reaping the benefits of others the same way an investor is.
I thought the issue people had with condos as rentals is that they tend to be all one bedroom units.
There is that, but also the stability. Unlike an apartment building - where you can be assured that building will always be an apartment building - a condo owner could just decide to one day sell their unit and you'd be out of luck.
Preserve the heritage of the era when downtown Kitchener was bulldozed for parking lots. We need to remember these parking lots they are all being destroyed with new construction. Maybe if not preserving the parking lot, a monument to the parking lot can be erected on the site to appease the Olde Beline Towne.. (Added more e's to make it more old times)
I will sign a petition to bulldoze Olde Berlin Towne to create a parking lot ghetto. The current residents can maybe move into A Better Tent City - if the current residents would accept them. :')

(09-03-2021, 04:21 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Maybe if not preserving the parking lot, a monument to the parking lot can be erected on the site to appease the Olde Beline Towne.. (Added more e's to make it more old times)

Touchéé.
Last building at Duke/Madison is coming down. Still no plan for what will be built here. 

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »