Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
The Bow (Arrow phase II) | 15 fl | Completed
(08-21-2020, 09:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 08:57 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Who obsorbs this cost ?  The crane rental company ?  And who has to pay for construction delays ?

These are questions that only Auburn has answers to. And they are not talking. Smile

P.S. Drewlo owns their cranes. I don't know whether that's the case for Auburn.

That makes sense. This is why they can pause work and not worry about crane rental costs.

Crane is back up today.
Glad they caught whatever had to be fixed, there has been two crane collapses in Toronto this summer. They can be deadly.
Based on what they did, I assume there was a mechanical problem at the top of the crane, maybe a motor or a gearbox or something similar. It took them a few days to do the repairs after they got the crane down, but the frame was never disassembled.
Floor addition has started up again this past week (for those interested in the webcam).
I think we can start getting a good idea of what this will look like, even if there are still five more floors to be added.

It's kitsch, but does manage to work next to the original factory. I like it.

Personally not a fan of this one. As soon as EIFS is involved it looks cheap in my opinion. Beige makes it even worse. It would have looked so much better if they had just used a brick panel system to carry the brick look up 15 floors.  I don't like curved windows, but if the had to include them I would have preferred it to be carried all the way up instead of just a couple floors in the middle. They actually look decent on the second floor with the keystone. Density is a good thing but that is about it on this one.
It's not EIFS, it's painted precast concrete.

I'm not a huge fan but it's OK. Better than DTK in my eyes.
(09-21-2020, 04:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's not EIFS, it's painted precast concrete.

I'm not a huge fan but it's OK. Better than DTK in my eyes.
My bad the beige makes the concrete panels look a lot like EIFS panels. I feel like knowing somehow makes this building worse. They could have easily made this a taller dumbed down version of factory. With similar vertical and horizontal lines. Instead they built what is going to look like a glorified suburban tower. Either way it will add more people to downtown.
They should have built a shirt factory - employed people, fought hard against the creation of a union, negotiated a contract with a union then closed up shop to ship the jobs overseas...and then converted the building into Arrow Lofts II
It's not my favourite, but it's not terrible. The original is obviously far nicer, but still. Anyone know what kind of finishes thus units we can expect? Are they going high end?
Based on Auburn's track record, they'll be upper mid-market, similar to the Barrelyards.

Arrow Lofts on Octorber 13th:

[Image: AfupCvb.jpg]
Four more floors to go.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »