Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
(09-26-2020, 10:33 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 11:12 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Liability for what? It’s absurd.

Note: not saying you are being absurd — actually, you’re probably right — but either the fear of liability is insane or the court system is insane. There is no world in which it is reasonable that people can’t see construction sites because of legal liability.

The wall (I am assuming) is to protect passer-by's from the dangers of the work site.  If a flying piece of debris flew thru a viewing hole, there would be a liability.  (I also remember them, and miss them too... I'm just trying to think like a lawyer for this post)

Coke
Yes, I agree with you, it's just that most of the downtown sites have just a metal fence around them.  Part of the gate was open on Saturday, so I went in for just a moment and the excavator is gone, the base for the second crane is laid and the rebar is going in fast for the 1st tower!

(09-27-2020, 12:45 AM)Square Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:33 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: The wall (I am assuming) is to protect passer-by's from the dangers of the work site.  If a flying piece of debris flew thru a viewing hole, there would be a liability.  (I also remember them, and miss them too... I'm just trying to think like a lawyer for this post)

Coke
Yes, I agree with you, it's just that most of the downtown sites have just a metal fence around them.  Part of the gate was open on Saturday, so I went in for just a moment and the excavator is gone, the base for the second crane is laid and the rebar is going in fast for the 1st tower!

Speaking of that first crane, isn’t it kind of small? The jib (crane runway) seems very short compared to others.
(09-26-2020, 10:33 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 11:12 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Liability for what? It’s absurd.

Note: not saying you are being absurd — actually, you’re probably right — but either the fear of liability is insane or the court system is insane. There is no world in which it is reasonable that people can’t see construction sites because of legal liability.

The wall (I am assuming) is to protect passer-by's from the dangers of the work site.  If a flying piece of debris flew thru a viewing hole, there would be a liability.  (I also remember them, and miss them too... I'm just trying to think like a lawyer for this post)

Coke

Plexiglass will address that.
We should form up a task team that will go under the cover of dark, and cut a hole and cover with plexiglass. They won't even notice !!!
(09-27-2020, 11:03 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 12:45 AM)Square Wrote: Yes, I agree with you, it's just that most of the downtown sites have just a metal fence around them.  Part of the gate was open on Saturday, so I went in for just a moment and the excavator is gone, the base for the second crane is laid and the rebar is going in fast for the 1st tower!

Speaking of that first crane, isn’t it kind of small? The jib (crane runway) seems very short compared to others.
Maybe two small cranes are cheaper than 1 long big crane?, lol
The wooden fence is only along the King St. side.        

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-27-2020, 05:55 PM)Acitta Wrote: The wooden fence is only along the King St. side.

This reminds me of a thought I had: the construction of the fence along King St. looks more substantial and more carefully done than I usually expect for a fence. I wonder if it will in effect become a huge billboard for the project (in addition to acting as a fence)?

I'm sure it will, especially considering it faces an LRT route.
Today I saw a different way of poring the concrete wall. They had rebar installed and instead of a form they were spraying the concrete. Talking about the walls or specifically the retaining walls, why are some all concrete and some are just wood?

Also Tower 2 crane base has rebar and just needs concrete. So based on the last crane that went up 17 days after the concrete was poured, my guess will be October 20 for the 2nd crane to go up.
(09-30-2020, 08:19 PM)Square Wrote: Today I saw a different way of poring the concrete wall.  They had rebar installed and instead of a form they were spraying the concrete.  Talking about the walls or specifically the retaining walls, why are some all concrete and some are just wood?

Also Tower 2 crane base has rebar and just needs concrete.  So based on the last crane that went up 17 days after the concrete was poured, my guess will be October 20 for the 2nd crane to go up.

They would've been using shotcrete which i've seen done typically when pools are being built. The only building i've seen shotcrete used is in the states there was a hospital that got built a while ago in San Francisco where all of the exterior foundation walls were done using it. Theres a youtube channel called hospital construction which documented the entire process.
It's very common in mining and tunneling.
(09-30-2020, 08:19 PM)Square Wrote: Today I saw a different way of poring the concrete wall.  They had rebar installed and instead of a form they were spraying the concrete.  Talking about the walls or specifically the retaining walls, why are some all concrete and some are just wood?

Also Tower 2 crane base has rebar and just needs concrete.  So based on the last crane that went up 17 days after the concrete was poured, my guess will be October 20 for the 2nd crane to go up.

Shotcrete is very common for structural walls underground against the shoring.  Most sites around town that I can think of in the last number of years have done it.

The wooden shoring walls are cheaper and faster, and therefore often the preferred method.  By nature they allow a bit of settling of the ground outside (up top) so they are not an option when you're right beside an existing building or something else that cannot be allowed to move.  Then they need to use the concrete type.
Thank you for all the replies and help.

Second crane going up today. Also Wooden fences being installed along wellington.

Damn, another crane. This one is short. Like my temper....LOL!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »