Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Other Forum Issues
(09-09-2020, 06:04 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 06:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It's easy to the "east" and the "south", because the expressway.  To the "north" and "west" it's arguably trickier, although Westmount and University offer simplicity of definition.  To me "urban" looks a lot like K-W circa pre-1970s, while "suburban" is K-W post-1970s, roughly speaking.

1950  Tongue

But I’m much older than my birth certificate would suggest  Big Grin

In 1950 the corner of Ottawa and Mill St was out on the edge of town, with apple orchards on the city side.  There was some development out along old King St and Weber St, but Rockway Gardens would have been pretty much the end of town.  The Greenbrook pumping station and Lakeside Pond would have been the edge of town over on the (now) Forest Hill side.  In Waterloo, except perhaps for King St, pretty much everything north of University would still have been farmland.  There would have been little or no development on the far side of Westmount (or its predecessor streets), except for the golf course. Over on the other side of town, there would not have been much beyond the Aud, apart from along Victoria St.

I live in the Rosemount area on the other side of the expressway. Our house was built in 1967.
(09-09-2020, 06:28 PM)creative Wrote: I live in the Rosemount area on the other side of the expressway. Our house was built in 1967.
I think the oldest homes in Rosemount date to circa 1952-53.
(09-09-2020, 06:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 02:51 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol...both DTK and Urban are both open to some interpretation... Tongue 

I'm getting that itch to create a map...I mean, Kitchener already has one for Downtown that we could argue about https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGen...nities.pdf. Tongue

It's easy to the "east" and the "south", because the expressway.  To the "north" and "west" it's arguably trickier, although Westmount and University offer simplicity of definition.  To me "urban" looks a lot like K-W circa pre-1970s, while "suburban" is K-W post-1970s, roughly speaking.

Wow, that's a much more generous interpretation than I was going to give, I'd say 1 is the core, 2, 3, 4, (parts of) 5, 6, 7, (parts of) 8, 10 are a given, and 9, 13, 14 are debatable as downtown neighbourhoods.

For urban areas there are a couple smaller areas I'd include outside the DTK, like Belmont Village, King/University, maybe Bridgeport.

But one could pick any number of criteria and come up with any number of different locations.
What makes a residential area suburban rather than urban? In my mind a suburb typically ...
  • Is lower density
  • Has street patterns that discourage direct transportation (crescents and cul-de-sacs rather than a grid pattern)
  • Has houses with attached garages, as a result of car-centric transportation
  • Shopping in proximity is car-centric (strip malls or similar) rather than pedestrian-centric
Based on these criteria, the suburban form in our region really took over in the 1960s, although some 1950s areas have suburban characteristics as well. Most of the residential areas bounded by the expressway, Westmount and the Waterloo border would be urban, based on these criteria, and some other neighbourhoods (such as those near King St E beyond the expressway) would be as well.

The commercial urban areas are a bit different, but, again, the car-centricity would be a key criterion in my mind.
To me, the transition can be seen when you go beyond the first generation (1945-1960) of post war housing development. Some might include those areas too, but to me they’re transitional in nature.
That's pretty much it, yes.

I keep accidentally rating threads low ratings when I'm trying to switch thread pages on my phone. There doesn't seem to be a way to update the ratings so please disregard my low ratings.
Hello

Up until a couple of days ago, the site showed the date/time of the last post within a given subforum. This no longers shows up.
Has something changed?

I have tried switching to/from "desktop site" but with no difference.

Any advice?
Is this on the mobile site that you are not seeing it?
(06-12-2023, 06:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is this on the mobile site that you are not seeing it?

No. It is through Chrome on my phone. Never had the issue befoe
The site is "responsive", meaning that it adapts to the screen size on whatever device you are reading on. I did confirm what you are seeing on my phone, also using Chrome.

I'm quite sure we haven't made changes on this recently. On the other hand, Google releases new Chrome versions weekly, so something may have changed there. I also tested using Edge on the same phone, and if I rotate the phone to landscape I can see the last poster and the time of the post. On the other hand, Firefox has the same behaviour as Chrome, and does not show those regardless of the orientation. So you might consider installing Edge if this is important to you ...
(06-12-2023, 09:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The site is "responsive", meaning that it adapts to the screen size on whatever device you are reading on. I did confirm what you are seeing on my phone, also using Chrome.

I'm quite sure we haven't made changes on this recently. On the other hand, Google releases new Chrome versions weekly, so something may have changed there. I also tested using Edge on the same phone, and if I rotate the phone to landscape I can see the last poster and the time of the post. On the other hand, Firefox has the same behaviour as Chrome, and does not show those regardless of the orientation. So you might consider installing Edge if this is important to you ...

Great. Thank you very much for looking into this matter. I really appreciate it.

Tom is right, no changes have been made.
Not sure why this has changed on your end.
Hi Everyone,
I know in the past one big issue we've had has been when clicking the "report" button nothing seems to happen. This seems to be fixed now. (It only took 10 years. Darn. Sorry hah)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »