Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Vogelsang Green like I've never seen it before.  I was surprised at the amount of soil they removed today.

(05-21-2020, 09:06 AM)kidgibnick Wrote: Walking around yesterday, I noticed what looked like the entire block of Queen S. (from 112 - 84) to the corner of Charles was not only temporarily closed by completely vacated. Peaked in the windows and looked like some were under interior demo - did not look like the same tenant was planning to return. Of course the situation for small business is challenging right now - anyone know what's going on? I always liked the buildings on this block - just needs updating and some love.  Also, Coffee Culture (Queen/King corner) was full of construction equipment. A local resident told me "it's finished." I wasn't sure what to believe?!

I counted today. 10 properties, five vacant and five occupied (games store, African goods, video store, massage and hair salon). Pearl Laundry building has been empty for five-plus years. A few others are more recent but still pre-COVID, I think.

Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.
(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 09:06 AM)kidgibnick Wrote: Walking around yesterday, I noticed what looked like the entire block of Queen S. (from 112 - 84) to the corner of Charles was not only temporarily closed by completely vacated. Peaked in the windows and looked like some were under interior demo - did not look like the same tenant was planning to return. Of course the situation for small business is challenging right now - anyone know what's going on? I always liked the buildings on this block - just needs updating and some love.  Also, Coffee Culture (Queen/King corner) was full of construction equipment. A local resident told me "it's finished." I wasn't sure what to believe?!

Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.

Victim of pandemic realities and/or the prospect of a Timmies across the street, or just the Walper continuing to upgrade its tenants, I wonder?
(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.
That is disappointing as it is the one coffee shop I have most often used. However, I am sure the location will attract something good.
(05-21-2020, 06:10 PM)jgsz Wrote: Vogelsang Green like I've never seen it before. I was surprised at the amount of soil they removed today.

Is there a timeline for the Vogelsang Green/Queen St changes? I feel like I saw it somewhere, but not sure where.

(05-21-2020, 08:57 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.
That is disappointing as it is the one coffee shop I have most often used. However, I am sure the location will attract something good.

There are a lot of coffee shops in the area and Coffee Culture had one of the worst product selections IMO (not that it was bad), so I'm not too surprised. I did like the atmosphere of the place though. I'd certainly rather have it over Tim Hortons, but people have their habits I guess.

Speaking of coffee shops, does anyone know what's happening with Williams? I seems inaccessible from the street with the Carl Zehr square construction, is presumably shut down from COVID, and has a ton of competition now. Gone for good?
(05-21-2020, 09:57 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 06:10 PM)jgsz Wrote: Vogelsang Green like I've never seen it before.  I was surprised at the amount of soil they removed today.

Is there a timeline for the Vogelsang Green/Queen St changes? I feel like I saw it somewhere, but not sure where.

(05-21-2020, 08:57 PM)Acitta Wrote: That is disappointing as it is the one coffee shop I have most often used. However, I am sure the location will attract something good.

There are a lot of coffee shops in the area and Coffee Culture had one of the worst product selections IMO (not that it was bad), so I'm not too surprised. I did like the atmosphere of the place though. I'd certainly rather have it over Tim Hortons, but people have their habits I guess.

Speaking of coffee shops, does anyone know what's happening with Williams? I seems inaccessible from the street with the Carl Zehr square construction, is presumably shut down from COVID, and has a ton of competition now. Gone for good?
QUEEN ST S
KING ST E TO CHARLES ST E
Reason: Road Reconstruction
Details: TENTATIVE CLOSURE DATES 2+ MONTH CLOSURE
Date: 2020-Apr-22 to 2020-Jun-03

Phase 1 of construction.

QUEEN ST N
DUKE ST E TO KING ST E
Reason: Road Reconstruction
Start:  Jun 4, 2020
Details: TENTATIVE DATES OF CLOSURE 3+ MONTH CLOSURE

Phase 2 of construction.

I thought I saw a sign on the King St side about closing for Covid-19, so they were open right until the closure. Seems unlikely the Walper would have a new tenant already, especially given the current circumstances. I feel it's still possible this is just a reno for Coffee Culture, taking advantage of the shutdown. The interior before wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't up to the standard of the renovated Walper.

I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related. So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...
(05-22-2020, 08:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related.  So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...

At the moment the sign says they will return. Was there an announcement or something posted?
No, I heard it from a couple of people in the industry...
(05-22-2020, 09:33 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: No, I heard it from a couple of people in the industry...

Perchance ones who previously worked in the same space?
(05-22-2020, 08:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related.  So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...

If true, that would be rather ironic...

Actually, the Walper itself was closed for a while, was it not?  Has it now re-opened?
(05-22-2020, 09:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

Actually, the Walper itself was closed for a while, was it not?  Has it now re-opened?

The hotel is open now, yes. The flowershop and barbershop are closed.

(05-22-2020, 09:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

The Walper Barbers are waiting for the go ahead from the government to reopen.
I found this on Vive's site. Looks like the own and are planning on refurbishing the Duke Food block...

http://vivedevelopment.com/property/duke-food-block/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »