Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(01-18-2020, 08:53 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 02:13 AM)Lens Wrote: They have 2 cranes bases and have for months...
they took the Cameron towers crane base out the first day they put this crane up.
I wouldn't read 100% into that. I've observed that sometimes one base is used for alignment when pouring the crane base, but it is pulled out and a different one installed when the crane actually goes up. I can think of a couple possible reasons:
1. Keep all the parts for the same crane togther
2. Use a normal section for the fit-up, but a special one of some sort for the actual base (either heavier or special to support climbing/section insertion)
3. Use a damaged/scrap/no longer serviceable section for the fit-up
Not sure which ones actually make sense in practice.

(01-18-2020, 11:47 AM)megabytephreak Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 08:53 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote: they took the Cameron towers crane base out the first day they put this crane up.
I wouldn't read 100% into that. I've observed that sometimes one base is used for  alignment when pouring the crane base, but it is pulled out and a different one installed when the crane actually goes up. I can think of a couple possible reasons:
2. Use a normal section for the fit-up, but a special one of some sort for the actual base (either heavier or special to support climbing/section insertion)
3. Use a damaged/scrap/no longer serviceable  section for the fit-up
why would they take it out then put another one back in? is it not stronger if they just leave it in the concrete?
The anchors are still in the concrete. The base was really beat up when I saw them moving it
The crane is moving now. They still have the mobile crane doing smaller things.
A couple of shots taken this morning around 8am, from a bus.

Things are moving along here. The NW tower is up to the ground level, and we should see the start of the retail component next.

The SE tower has the base poured but the walls for the parking level are just getting started.

This is the 1 site that shut down and no work since the first shutdown was issued on March 13.

For some reason I am not surprised ....
I had a feeling this would end up being a hole in the ground for a while, but I wonder why?
You guys are suggesting that Drewlo is in trouble?
At this point, is the permit for foundation only?
They have a full permit (otherwise they wouldn't have got this far) so they are allowed to continue. It must be a company decision, then, to stop work during the pandemic.
(04-07-2020, 10:43 AM)tomh009 Wrote: They have a full permit (otherwise they wouldn't have got this far) so they are allowed to continue. It must be a company decision, then, to stop work during the pandemic.

Have all of Drewlo's sites shut down?

I thought someone earlier had mentioned this one was a lower priority and they were taking their time with it until other ones were wrapped up and they had more manpower.

Even construction companies that remain open are experiencing low attendance because some people don't feel comfortable being out, and also the government is pushing hard (radio commercials etc.) to try and convince everyone to stay home. I heard that one big site in Toronto that has 4 cranes on it now only has enough people showing up to work to keep one crane busy. Maybe Drewlo is consolidating their workforce to keep some sites going at a more normal pace by closing others down temporarily?
(04-07-2020, 12:56 PM)mastermind Wrote: Even construction companies that remain open are experiencing low attendance because some people don't feel comfortable being out, and also the government is pushing hard (radio commercials etc.) to try and convince everyone to stay home.  I heard that one big site in Toronto that has 4 cranes on it now only has enough people showing up to work to keep one crane busy.  Maybe Drewlo is consolidating their workforce to keep some sites going at a more normal pace by closing others down temporarily?

Makes perfect sense. Drewlo isn't going to abandon this project, but it will come back online in the coming months.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »