Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's celebrations
Local authorities are getting ready for another huge party on Ezra Street.  Really?  Most Saint Patrick’s Day Parades around the world have been cancelled due to Covid19.  Locally, the True North Festival has been cancelled for the same reason.  Rather than preparing for a huge party, the authorities should consider putting out an urgent message cancelling the event, and other large gatherings, due to Covid19.

This is the first year I'm in 100% complete agreement that the party is a really bad idea. But how do you cancel an event that isn't sanctioned? Bring in the reserves to break it up?
(03-10-2020, 05:03 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: This is the first year I'm in 100% complete agreement that the party is a really bad idea. But how do you cancel an event that isn't sanctioned? Bring in the reserves to break it up?

Students like to party, but they're not (that) stupid IMO. I think strong messaging from public health that the event is a major risk for corona virus, and asking people not to attend, would cut attendance significantly. Add a large warning sign on Ezra street starting a day or two before. It might not eliminate the event, but reducing attendance 80-90% would still be a major public health win.
(03-10-2020, 05:07 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:03 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: This is the first year I'm in 100% complete agreement that the party is a really bad idea. But how do you cancel an event that isn't sanctioned? Bring in the reserves to break it up?

Students like to party, but they're not (that) stupid IMO. I think strong messaging from public health that the event is a major risk for corona virus, and asking people not to attend, would cut attendance significantly. Add a large warning sign on Ezra street starting a day or two before. It might not eliminate the event, but reducing attendance 80-90% would still be a major public health win.

I agree.
(03-10-2020, 03:19 PM)jgsz Wrote: Local authorities are getting ready for another huge party on Ezra Street.  Really?  Most Saint Patrick’s Day Parades around the world have been cancelled due to Covid19.  Locally, the True North Festival has been cancelled for the same reason.  Rather than preparing for a huge party, the authorities should consider putting out an urgent message cancelling the event, and other large gatherings, due to Covid19.

Is this sarcasm?  I can see it both ways (not that it's a laughing matter)
(03-10-2020, 05:07 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

I think your strategy is good and I agree that attendance reduction (really of any percent) is a win. I'm not convinced it would drop that significantly, but that's just gut. I hope you're right.
(03-10-2020, 05:07 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Students like to party, but they're not at all stupid IMO.

Corrected it for you, and quoted for truth.

This virus seems to have little to no affect on younger people. In fact, this is what makes this viral infection unique -- it seems to bypass most of the young and very young completely (normally teens and young adults pull through OK regardless) including those with an assumed weaker immune system, like kids under 5. Not a single child has died yet. ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/20...eat-virus/ ) And from reports, it doesn't seem to have much, if any, affect on people between 10 and 55.

I am not at all into conspiracy theories either, but someone had suggested that this viral infection is a tailored man-made version (Covid-19) of the coronavirus (which was first observed in the 1960's) with the intention of killing the oldest members of society. Even suggesting that the US is behind this in order to ease their social security deficit. While I am not buying that theory, it does seem rather convenient.

But whatever the case, you have a whole bunch of 18-22 year olds partying at this Ezra event, I doubt anyone of them will get sick enough to need anything more than a Halls cough candy. And these uni kids already know the risk to them is really low, and a huge party is a party is a party.

I think there is more risk to the overweight and unhealthy police officers and by-law officers that might patrol it. And I would never usually suggest to allow a party to go ahead like this full-steam, but this year, they need to leave it alone and deal with it next year.

(03-10-2020, 05:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think there is more risk to the overweight and unhealthy police officers and by-law officers that might patrol it. And I would never usually suggest to allow a party to go ahead like this full-steam, but this year, they need to leave it alone and deal with it next year.

In case you hadn’t noticed, students tend to have parents who are older than them, sometimes by quite a few years, and sometimes even visit their grandparents, who are usually much older and almost never younger. To suggest that because the virus doesn’t much affect student-aged people and therefore passing it around like a bong is A-OK is the height of idiocy.

If Public Health says the gathering is a bad idea, the police should close the area and water cannon anyone who disobeys.

Of course, not being a public health expert I don’t actually know if cancelling the event is indicated, but if it is then it should be done so forcefully.
(03-10-2020, 08:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think there is more risk to the overweight and unhealthy police officers and by-law officers that might patrol it. And I would never usually suggest to allow a party to go ahead like this full-steam, but this year, they need to leave it alone and deal with it next year.

In case you hadn’t noticed, students tend to have parents who are older than them, sometimes by quite a few years, and sometimes even visit their grandparents, who are usually much older and almost never younger. To suggest that because the virus doesn’t much affect student-aged people and therefore passing it around like a bong is A-OK is the height of idiocy.

If Public Health says the gathering is a bad idea, the police should close the area and water cannon anyone who disobeys.

Of course, not being a public health expert I don’t actually know if cancelling the event is indicated, but if it is then it should be done so forcefully.

I doubt that these kids will be seeing any adults after st. pats, but I could be wrong and you might be right. Doubtful their parents would be a risk either way, being that I'd imagine most would be between 40 and 60 years of age. I also imagine they'd be smart enough not to hang with the grandparents if they were sick.

As for passing bongs (and drinks) they're doing that already. And kissing. And holding hands. Having sex. And they're already in close quarters while in school anyway. Unsure how the St. Pats event makes it that much worse. By that logic, then, we should cancel school (like they have in Japan and Italy).

I am concerned of the workers that would 'staff' this event though. Not like professors that can teach their students from a distance.
(09-28-2019, 01:52 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 08:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m not entirely sure the economics of that idea work out. How many tickets would they have to issue to cover the cost of the operation?

Depends on how much they intend on fining people. Say $250 for whatever they feel they can do is 'reasonable' and enough of a deterrent in 2021, multiply that by 1,500 (7% of the attendee's) is $375,000 minus enforcement cost (and assume 50% actually pay) so perhaps around $175,000 for coffers. I'd still bank though that many would take that risk as rather small, especially if they intend on fighting it. I mean, if I was a 19 or 20 year old, and perhaps came from a modest enough income, $250 is a small risk to have an awesome time with a lot of peers of my age. A pub crawl will cost almost as much. But I don't think Waterloo has calculated the cost associated with potentially many, if not most, of the party goers fighting the charges, plus any that gave false information and the consequences of that -- especially if they do link it to your drivers license.

This is a truly absurd suggestion, given that the top complaint about this party is the cost to the city and region. Police cost (which I believe is inflated--but still ends up on our budget sheet) exceeds a million dollars.
(03-10-2020, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 08:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: In case you hadn’t noticed, students tend to have parents who are older than them, sometimes by quite a few years, and sometimes even visit their grandparents, who are usually much older and almost never younger. To suggest that because the virus doesn’t much affect student-aged people and therefore passing it around like a bong is A-OK is the height of idiocy.

I doubt that these kids will be seeing any adults after st. pats, but I could be wrong and you might be right. Doubtful their parents would be a risk either way, being that I'd imagine most would be between 40 and 60 years of age. I also imagine they'd be smart enough not to hang with the grandparents if they were sick.

As for passing bongs (and drinks) they're doing that already. And kissing. And holding hands. Having sex. And they're already in close quarters while in school anyway. Unsure how the St. Pats event makes it that much worse. By that logic, then, we should cancel school (like they have in Japan and Italy).

I am concerned of the workers that would 'staff' this event though. Not like professors that can teach their students from a distance.

I do agree with this as well. It's also important to see a distinction between events where people travel great distances to attend (like True North) and events where people do not travel great distances, like St. Pattys' day. Ontario does not have an outbreak right now, and we're doing enough testing to be relatively confident that we aren't missing one. People can travel in Ontario with relative safety right now. If/when an outbreak does come (probably as a result of the undetected, uncontrolled spread in the USA), than these measure would be warranted.

However, events which see people attend from far distances, and from regions which are seeing an outbreak obviously make sense to cancel because that is how the disease can spread.
(03-10-2020, 11:24 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: I doubt that these kids will be seeing any adults after st. pats, but I could be wrong and you might be right. Doubtful their parents would be a risk either way, being that I'd imagine most would be between 40 and 60 years of age. I also imagine they'd be smart enough not to hang with the grandparents if they were sick.

I do agree with this as well. It's also important to see a distinction between events where people travel great distances to attend (like True North) and events where people do not travel great distances, like St. Pattys' day. Ontario does not have an outbreak right now, and we're doing enough testing to be relatively confident that we aren't missing one. People can travel in Ontario with relative safety right now. If/when an outbreak does come (probably as a result of the undetected, uncontrolled spread in the USA), than these measure would be warranted.

However, events which see people attend from far distances, and from regions which are seeing an outbreak obviously make sense to cancel because that is how the disease can spread.

I believe the Waterloo Ezra parties are now famous enough that I've heard of buses coming from as far as neighbouring US states to attend. Obviously not the majority of attendees, but I think it's not really just a local event anymore.
(03-11-2020, 01:40 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 11:24 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I do agree with this as well. It's also important to see a distinction between events where people travel great distances to attend (like True North) and events where people do not travel great distances, like St. Pattys' day. Ontario does not have an outbreak right now, and we're doing enough testing to be relatively confident that we aren't missing one. People can travel in Ontario with relative safety right now. If/when an outbreak does come (probably as a result of the undetected, uncontrolled spread in the USA), than these measure would be warranted.

I believe the Waterloo Ezra parties are now famous enough that I've heard of buses coming from as far as neighbouring US states to attend. Obviously not the majority of attendees, but I think it's not really just a local event anymore.

I agree that certainly would be a bigger problem, but I have not heard that.  Do you have a source?

(03-10-2020, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: I also imagine they'd be smart enough not to hang with the grandparents if they were sick.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe asymptomatic individuals can still pass along the infection.

It’s important to think clearly, correctly, and logically about matters related to public health.
Hadn't even thought of this. Even with a warning, students will party. Some will stay away but I think a lot will still attend
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »