Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
I'm a proud Kitchener resident. I moved here as an adult after growing up as a Waterloo resident because I think the municipality is run better and making better choices. I prefer to work for companies specifically headquartered in Kitchener and in offices specifically located downtown. If Kitchener and Waterloo were to amalgamate I would want some amount of effort put into finding a new name for that municipality rather than just defaulting to Waterloo (even though that's absolutely what will happen).

The distinction is important, but only when we're here or when we're talking with other individuals or small groups. But when it comes to the economic benefits that come from being a recognized place - why a high speed rail connection to us would benefit other communities, why companies should open offices here, all of that - it serves all of us to unite under the name Waterloo.

With this Google announcement, tn regards to Residential Property Values, I see that the market will easily retain it's current value...if not then continue to climb higher and higher. I vote for the "Residential Property Values will increase...BIG time".
(02-07-2020, 11:06 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I get it....  You missed the point that some of us are proud Kitchener residents..thats all...   They should never have made it the Region of Waterloo,  it should have been a different name  That was the additional point I was making...
I get that people are proud Kitchener residents which is great, count me as one of them. That doesn't stop me from wanting amalgamation even if we end up with Waterloo as our official name. People of North York and Scarborough are proud to be residents of that area and still tell people within Toronto that they live in those neighborhoods. Foreign investors don't care though, they set up in Toronto because it is a known name, they might actually be locating in North York. Waterloo like it or not is the name that has clout in the tech world, that is why the region and the cities use it when luring investors. It was also waterloo county before the regional government was formed.
Again, most of us understand all this.  We are just stating that we stand for our city.  I for one dont want amalgamation  I think the region will thrive the way it has now..
Maybe we should vote for Kitchener to annex from Waterloo Region outright and remain as Kitchener within the 'Regional Municipality of Berlin' Wink
(02-07-2020, 12:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 11:06 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I get that people are proud Kitchener residents which is great, count me as one of them. That doesn't stop me from wanting amalgamation even if we end up with Waterloo as our official name. People of North York and Scarborough are proud to be residents of that area and still tell people within Toronto that they live in those neighborhoods. Foreign investors don't care though, they set up in Toronto because it is a known name, they might actually be locating in North York. Waterloo like it or not is the name that has clout in the tech world, that is why the region and the cities use it when luring investors. It was also waterloo county before the regional government was formed.
Again, most of us understand all this.  We are just stating that we stand for our city.  I for one dont want amalgamation  I think the region will thrive the way it has now..
Well then it seems like some Kitchener residents are a little to sensitive about having national news to use their name. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Amalgamation would fix this as we would all have the same name. Personally I don't want a full amalgamation, just the three cities and maybe an annexation of Breslua and Bridgeport from woolwhich.  I wouldn't want what is happening in Hamilton to happen to us. We would still have a regional government and a 2 tier system, but only 1 city, but I digress and we can rehash this debate in the amalgamation thread when enviably comes in a month/ year.  

Yeah for google expansion in Waterloo Region this is good news for all!
If your calling me sensitive, you are sadly mistaken and don't know me...just saying.
(02-07-2020, 11:14 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm a proud Kitchener resident. I moved here as an adult after growing up as a Waterloo resident because I think the municipality is run better and making better choices. I prefer to work for companies specifically headquartered in Kitchener and in offices specifically located downtown. If Kitchener and Waterloo were to amalgamate I would want some amount of effort put into finding a new name for that municipality rather than just defaulting to Waterloo (even though that's absolutely what will happen).

The distinction is important, but only when we're here or when we're talking with other individuals or small groups. But when it comes to the economic benefits that come from being a recognized place - why a high speed rail connection to us would benefit other communities, why companies should open offices here, all of that - it serves all of us to unite under the name Waterloo.
Very well said... Thank you for that succinct analysis.  I couldn't agree with you more.

(02-07-2020, 01:07 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If your calling me sensitive,  you are sadly mistaken and don't know me...just saying.
I never called you were sensitive, but you can take my comment however you like. I pointing out that there are people (on this forum and other sites) that are quite hurt that the globe and mail, or even Steve woods leader of google engineer Canada (who works in Kitchener) would mention Waterloo over Kitchener.  The point is it doesn't matter we are one economic engine and should start thinking/ acting as one, instead of being upset that one city is getting credit over another.
(02-06-2020, 05:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:14 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Google has definitely been on a roll in KW. They're also taking over the King Centre building from Manulife downtown. Originally intended to just be temporary until Breithaupt Block phase 3 is built, my understanding is they're now considering keeping both King Centre and the full Breithaupt Block.

Looking to grow to 3,000 employees in DTK, according to today’s G&M.

But gradually, not overnight. Up to this point they have been adding about 200 people per year, so getting to 3000 may take the better part of 10 years, and surely at least five.
Exciting news on all the Google expansion, both at King Centre and Breithaupt. I haven't been over by the Breithaupt Block in awhile, does anyone know what the current construction progress is on Phase 3?
(02-07-2020, 01:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Looking to grow to 3,000 employees in DTK, according to today’s G&M.

But gradually, not overnight. Up to this point they have been adding about 200 people per year, so getting to 3000 may take the better part of 10 years, and surely at least five.

The Globe article said 3000 by 2022, so they're definitely accelerating their expansion. Based on what I know from people there, and how much their recruiters bother me on LinkedIn, I absolutely believe they're intending to hit 3000 2-3 years from now.
That's a big number, for one company (albeit Google is massive) - it should spur even more investment/companies moving who want to be close to such a force by proximity! Keep it rolling...
(02-07-2020, 01:21 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 01:07 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If your calling me sensitive,  you are sadly mistaken and don't know me...just saying.
I never called you were sensitive, but you can take my comment however you like. I pointing out that there are people (on this forum and other sites) that are quite hurt that the globe and mail, or even Steve woods leader of google engineer Canada (who works in Kitchener) would mention Waterloo over Kitchener.  The point is it doesn't matter we are one economic engine and should start thinking/ acting as one, instead of being upset that one city is getting credit over another.
Sorry, I should have inserted at (Sarcasm or joking) comment there. I am not taking this in any way personal nor am I offended by your comments.  It is healthy debate, not personal..

(02-06-2020, 07:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:54 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Woah, what, since when? The entire building? Will it become the "Google" building instead of "The Manulife one"?

Yes, entire building. It's not
officially announced yet, but I've heard it from several different people in the know, so it's not a well kept secret.

Google has already overflowed their current Breithaupt space, and has a temporary office around Philip and Columbia. I assume they want to get everyone back downtown. If the target is now 3000 jobs then the Manulife building is 1000 of those jobs.

Wow, that's great news!  Any idea when?
(02-07-2020, 01:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 01:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But gradually, not overnight. Up to this point they have been adding about 200 people per year, so getting to 3000 may take the better part of 10 years, and surely at least five.

The Globe article said 3000 by 2022, so they're definitely accelerating their expansion. Based on what I know from people there, and how much their recruiters bother me on LinkedIn, I absolutely believe they're intending to hit 3000 2-3 years from now.

Are the 3000 jobs new jobs, or relocating from other sites?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »