Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The Record just published a fairly in-depth article about maintenance issues since the start of service.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/980...crossings/

(01-11-2020, 04:07 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The Record just published a fairly in-depth article about maintenance issues since the start of service.

It's a little ironic that the most frequent maintenance failure doesn't impact system users, but drivers. That being said, given that at University, drivers drive in the pedestrian crossing to go around the gates, it's still a big issue.

My question is, we have had railway gates for about 150 years. How is it possible that they still do not function correctly. These are standard parts are they not?
I really do not understand the continuing issues with the gates either. As you said, this isn't exactly a new technology, and they've been in place for years. Even when it happened literally beside the OMSF in December it took them nearly 30 minutes to resolve the issue.
(01-11-2020, 04:51 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I really do not understand the continuing issues with the gates either. As you said, this isn't exactly a new technology, and they've been in place for years. Even when it happened literally beside the OMSF in December it took them nearly 30 minutes to resolve the issue.

I thought that one was due to a stopped LRV? Still unacceptable, if my understanding of the sequence of events is correct, but not related to failing crossing gate equipment.
(01-11-2020, 08:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 04:51 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I really do not understand the continuing issues with the gates either. As you said, this isn't exactly a new technology, and they've been in place for years. Even when it happened literally beside the OMSF in December it took them nearly 30 minutes to resolve the issue.

I thought that one was due to a stopped LRV? Still unacceptable, if my understanding of the sequence of events is correct, but not related to failing crossing gate equipment.

Yes, it was caused by a stalled train triggering the signal, but it took a ridiculous amount of time for Keolis to clear it considering the location. I have little faith they are dispatching repair crews any faster to other stuck signals caused by the signal hardware itself.
(01-11-2020, 08:44 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Yes, it was caused by a stalled train triggering the signal, but it took a ridiculous amount of time for Keolis to clear it considering the location. I have little faith they are dispatching repair crews any faster to other stuck signals caused by the signal hardware itself.

I see what you mean. Yes, I agree that problems which severely affect either LRT service or cross traffic need to be addressed forthwith. It occurs to me that a signal stuck down could be handled by a staff member popping on the LRT and just being let off right at the problem location. That might be the fastest access to locations along the rail corridor section in Waterloo. Not so much in Kitchener where taking a truck down the expressway would probably be faster.

I wonder how those jobs are staffed? I mean, what is the person who fixes a stuck gate doing when they aren’t fixing a stuck gate?
(01-11-2020, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: My question is, we have had railway gates for about 150 years. How is it possible that they still do not function correctly. These are standard parts are they not?

Recall that a big part of the vehicle delay was because of the in-cab signalling systems. I understand that it's not just a simple mechanical device these days but instead the cab works in conjunction with the signal and control to ensure safety. I don't think that it is standard parts at all anymore. Pretty sure it is also linked with positive train control.

I guess this is one such system:

https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/en/stron...ol-system/

(01-11-2020, 04:07 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The Record just published a fairly in-depth article about maintenance issues since the start of service.

"[Thomas] Schmidt said the public may learn in a few months when the planned frequency will be achieved."

We "may" learn in a few months. In late August, we were told the delay would be measured in months, not weeks. Fair enough, but four and a half months later there is not even an estimate of when the planned frequency will be delivered.
(01-12-2020, 02:10 AM)plam Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: My question is, we have had railway gates for about 150 years. How is it possible that they still do not function correctly. These are standard parts are they not?

Recall that a big part of the vehicle delay was because of the in-cab signalling systems. I understand that it's not just a simple mechanical device these days but instead the cab works in conjunction with the signal and control to ensure safety. I don't think that it is standard parts at all anymore. Pretty sure it is also linked with positive train control.

I got the sense from the description that the failures where in the actual gates, not the control systems. If it was in the control systems, I would think the central control centre could remotely fix the problem within a few minutes....or at least, should be able to do so.
(01-12-2020, 07:37 AM)MidTowner Wrote:

"[Thomas] Schmidt said the public may learn in a few months when the planned frequency will be achieved."

We "may" learn in a few months. In late August, we were told the delay would be measured in months, not weeks. Fair enough, but four and a half months later there is not even an estimate of when the planned frequency will be delivered.

At this point, I don't put much trust in what Schmidt says.
(01-12-2020, 02:10 AM)plam Wrote:

ION uses the Alstom Urbalis signalling system https://www.alstom.com/our-solutions/sig...ng-systems . It's not yet fully working, that's why we don't have ATP and trains are limited to 50km/h on the spur line. Wouldn't be surprised if its issues are related to the gate issues.
(01-12-2020, 09:53 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I got the sense from the description that the failures where in the actual gates, not the control systems. If it was in the control systems, I would think the central control centre could remotely fix the problem within a few minutes....or at least, should be able to do so.

Just reboot the system, right? I wouldn't trust the writeup to be technically accurate and it's easier for me to believe that it's a software/firmware issue rather than a physical issue.
Completely packed train at UW station last Thursday

https://twitter.com/biggianthead/status/...4156949510

[Image: l8ibHbF.jpg]

The lack of a proper exit on the north end of Frederick station is even more obvious, now that numerous students are entering Market Square on the Duke Street side...
I noticed they put up a big sign telling people not to exit that way. But due to the width of the street in that particular block, I think it's all they could do.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »