Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(10-26-2019, 03:28 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 01:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: Thanks. I was curious as I wanted to visualize what this will look like once completed. This building is less than half a meter shy of 128 meters. The Duke Tower building is really going to dominate the skyline for quite a while.
Well that building is a lot better looking the DTK. I wish kitchener could get Rotterdam quality buildings. Having said that the dtk will still have a significant presence on the skyline. Just wish it was of a bit better design.

Can't say what DTK condo will look like until done, truly, but imo that building in the link isn't that pretty! At least not at that angle in that pic

(11-01-2019, 05:54 PM)Momo26 Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 03:28 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Well that building is a lot better looking the DTK. I wish kitchener could get Rotterdam quality buildings. Having said that the dtk will still have a significant presence on the skyline. Just wish it was of a bit better design.

Can't say what DTK condo will look like until done, truly, but imo that building in the link isn't that pretty! At least not at that angle in that pic
I guess it is all subject, but that building is bold with the colour red, it sleak with its uniformed shape. It has inset balconies which I love and find make a building look so much better. It doesn't change shape randomly at the last 3 levels. I find architectures in north American design condos with a bunch of different elements that don't add up to a nice design. DTK has half inset half protruding balconies. They change in size randomly at like the 30th floor. For some reason they thought if they put a hat on it it would look nice. Grey and white spandrel panels all over the place. Don't get me wrong I like that kitchener is getting this type of height in downtown, but this thing is not going to be the jewel of the city by any means.
Yah, agreed one of the other offerings downtown is likely to take the 'jewel title'...which one do you feel based on pics is nicest? I think Charlie West or maybe Young
All the work I see being done by the electrician in this building I bet he wishes he was a plumber. No work it's easy! A
(11-03-2019, 10:22 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yah, agreed one of the other offerings downtown is likely to take the 'jewel title'...which one do you feel based on pics is nicest? I think Charlie West or maybe Young
I do think Charlie West will be a better looking building. Unfortunately, Young CW, DTK, Garment St. 100 and station park all have similar looking features and standard protruding balconies. I am particularly disappointed with station park. They hyped it up to be a spectacular development and from the renderings it look pretty basic. All of them are blue glass grey and white spandrel. None of them are offensive and glad they are all getting built and I want the downtown's to get as much density as possible to attrach more business and offices to locate in the cores. I think my favorite recent development is "the coutes" on king street across from sunlife. It is the type and size of development I would like to see occur the whole stretch of king between uptown and downtown. I also think the princess st condo were well done. Sorry for the off topic rant.
(11-04-2019, 02:12 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 10:22 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yah, agreed one of the other offerings downtown is likely to take the 'jewel title'...which one do you feel based on pics is nicest? I think Charlie West or maybe Young
I do think Charlie West will be a better looking building. Unfortunately, Young CW, DTK, Garment St. 100 and station park all have similar looking features and standard protruding balconies. I am particularly disappointed with station park. They hyped it up to be a spectacular development and from the renderings it look pretty basic. All of them are blue glass grey and white spandrel. None of them are offensive and glad they are all getting built and I want the downtown's to get as much density as possible to attrach more business and offices to locate in the cores. 
I would have to agree. Charlie West will be the crown of the city for now. This building, with its height should be, but I honestly think it will end up rather unappealing. 

Station park also should/still could be the crown of the city, but the new renders will need drastic change for that to happen. I really quite liked the sixo renders, but I'll trade that for these new ones with more height.
Charlie West will look the best. In comparison to Duke Tower, it'll look significantly better. IN8 Developments is behind Duke Tower and they and their architects are mediocre at best. Their only other significant work was the Sage Condos scattered around Waterloo, and they're not the nicest buildings.

(11-07-2019, 03:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: Charlie West will look the best. In comparison to Duke Tower, it'll look significantly better. IN8 Developments is behind Duke Tower and they and their architects are mediocre at best. Their only other significant work was the Sage Condos scattered around Waterloo, and they're not the nicest buildings.
Agreed those Sage Buildings are horrendous at times. I feel like the best developer in town at the moment is HIP Developments they seem to produce the best quality buildings that don't rely on stucco, which IMHO is possible the worst building material imaginable. Not that The Duke tower will have stucco.
any new pics of the construction JGSZ
(11-07-2019, 03:58 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: Charlie West will look the best. In comparison to Duke Tower, it'll look significantly better. IN8 Developments is behind Duke Tower and they and their architects are mediocre at best. Their only other significant work was the Sage Condos scattered around Waterloo, and they're not the nicest buildings.
Agreed those Sage Buildings are horrendous at times. I feel like the best developer in town at the moment is HIP Developments they seem to produce the best quality buildings that don't rely on stucco, which IMHO is possible the worst building material imaginable. Not that The Duke tower will have stucco.

I was going to say Zehr/Perimeter as well. Most credit goes to ABA Architects as they're the ones designing the buildings, but overall they both seem to handle the most major projects in the city.

HIP have been doing good work lately as well, though. They tend to rely on Martin Simmons Architects, who are IMO the best firm the region has. The quality of their work is exceptional when you get down to the tiny details of the structures (aesthetic and technical design, atmosphere, materials etc).
(11-08-2019, 10:53 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:58 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Agreed those Sage Buildings are horrendous at times. I feel like the best developer in town at the moment is HIP Developments they seem to produce the best quality buildings that don't rely on stucco, which IMHO is possible the worst building material imaginable. Not that The Duke tower will have stucco.

I was going to say Zehr/Perimeter as well. Most credit goes to ABA Architects as they're the ones designing the buildings, but overall they both seem to handle the most major projects in the city.

HIP have been doing good work lately as well, though. They tend to rely on Martin Simmons Architects, who are IMO the best firm the region has. The quality of their work is exceptional when you get down to the tiny details of the structures (aesthetic and technical design, atmosphere, materials etc).
Agreed both those architecture firms seem to produce the best quality buildings in the region. I will say SRM Architects seems to producing better buildings of late. But they will never be forgiven for the monstrosity that is 1 Columbia.
How do you think 1 Victoria stacks up in terms of the look, as a comparison to the above mentioned, and specifically in the high rise world?

Do you think it is aging well? It also has a bigger podium with recessed tower (King facing).
(11-08-2019, 11:57 AM)Momo26 Wrote: How do you think 1 Victoria stacks up in terms of the look, as a comparison to the above mentioned, and specifically in the high rise world?

Do you think it is aging well? It also has a bigger podium with recessed tower (King facing).
I personally like it. It turned out better than the render in my opinion which is a rare feat. I do think there is a little to much going with the design, but overall for this region its nice. I think once the uhaul and ziggy's cycle get redeveloped it will look even better as the big blank grey walls will be hidden. 

It appears to be aging ok, only time will tell. 1 columbia on the other hand has been aging terrible and it started off bad. They used the cheapest possible materials for the cladding and windows. the dark cladding has sun fadding and the light cladding has water markings. it is truly an assault to the eyes. 1 columbia gives NIMBY's a branch to step on. They can just point to what happened along king between columbia and hickory as a reason to appose development. (or at least that is the reason I hear from my older relatives)

1 Columbia - just searched it. Ew yes, even without damage/aging, looks terrible. Grey/charcoal only. Hey it's 5 bedroom student units, what do you expect? Is it managed/owned by one company or did they sell each individual unit? Based on what I've heard of rents lately, they've gone up a solid 70-80% over the past decade, and we are talking per room in shared accommodations.
(11-07-2019, 07:10 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: any new pics of the construction JGSZ

2019-11-08

They're finally starting to repave Frederick Street.  Otherwise, progress continues on DTK.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »