Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(06-26-2019, 10:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes. Two platforms are still open. The terminal still has a moderate level of activity which is a good thing.

Do you know if the actual terminal itself is still open to public? I would hope it would remain open for intercity bus travelers, to shelter them from heat/rain during the summer.

It's open for the ticket office and café, so it should remain open for other uses.
(06-26-2019, 03:21 PM)KevinL Wrote: It's open for the ticket office and café, so it should remain open for other uses.

I dropped by on Monday, and found that the bridges over to the GRT platforms are closed and locked, but the main building is still open. I wonder how well Transfers will do without all the GRT passengers going through the building?
I can't imagine it would last long. I'd assume almost all of their business is from transit customers.
(06-27-2019, 09:06 AM)Spokes Wrote: I can't imagine it would last long.  I'd assume almost all of their business is from transit customers.

It's funny, transfers is one of the closest restaurants to me, and I've always thought to go there, but never have. I should try it before it closes, but I always wondered who actually went there.
I grabbed some food there before. I don't recall it being remarkable in either direction.
(06-27-2019, 09:48 AM)jamincan Wrote: I grabbed some food there before. I don't recall it being remarkable in either direction.

Yeah. It's basically a diner and for that downtown I'd rather go to Slices, though my dining experience there benefits considerably from nostalgia and bias, I think.

(06-27-2019, 10:02 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 09:48 AM)jamincan Wrote: I grabbed some food there before. I don't recall it being remarkable in either direction.

Yeah. It's basically a diner and for that downtown I'd rather go to Slices, though my dining experience there benefits considerably from nostalgia and bias, I think.

I do like the atmosphere at slices.  But for transfers, more of a novelty factor.  I don't expect remarkable food or experience.
It's worth going at least once I think. It's an institution in its own way, and it certainly doesn't hurt to help support a local business that's definitely at risk. It would be nice if whomever holds the lease gave them a serious break at least until the long-term plans are established but I guess that's probably not the way such things work.
(06-27-2019, 10:35 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: It's worth going at least once I think. It's an institution in its own way, and it certainly doesn't hurt to help support a local business that's definitely at risk. It would be nice if whomever holds the lease gave them a serious break at least until the long-term plans are established but I guess that's probably not the way such things work.

As someone who lives across from the terminal, I hope very much that the building stays at least a little busy until new plans are in place.  Sadly, I never knew how busy transfers was, they have a patio, but I've never seen it used.

I didn't actually know it was a local business either.
According to today's UW Daily Bulletin, construction on the transit terminal will begin in less than a week.

https://uwaterloo.ca/daily-bulletin/2019-06-27

Quote:[Image: XADigk9.png]

Construction will soon begin on a Grand River Transit bus terminal on the University’s east campus.

While this is certainly a transit gain for the University, it is also a loss of parking space in both Q Lot and Lot B that border the service roadway that runs through the east campus to the LRT tracks and the ring road. Parking Services have informed permit holders in B and Q lots of the impending construction and have asked them not to park in the designated areas.

Construction begins at 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 2.

Construction is expected to last several months, and once the parking spaces are gone, they’re gone. Fencing will be installed along the service roadway marking the areas that will be part of the bus terminal construction. There will be no access in the middle of the construction area from Q-lot to the Engineering Buildings. All access through these areas will be directed via Phillip Street or Ring Road.

Pedestrian walkways will be available allowing people to cross the tracks to get to the East Campus buildings as well as the Engineering buildings.
(06-27-2019, 12:26 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: According to today's UW Daily Bulletin, construction on the transit terminal will begin in less than a week.

https://uwaterloo.ca/daily-bulletin/2019-06-27

It took me a second to realize this was about the one at UW and not the transit hub. I was about to get excited.
A GO bus got wedged under a pedestrian bridge at the Charles St terminal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5193930

(06-28-2019, 02:38 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: A GO bus got wedged under a pedestrian bridge at the Charles St terminal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5193930

Hmm. There's a "no double-decker bus" sign right over that spot. Amazing.
Note to self: never ride on the upper deck of a GO bus.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »