Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It looks like GRT spring service usually starts in late April. If GrandLinq wants to align with that, we have a two month wait.

Is GRT still planning to introduce the "2018 Network Redesign" when ION starts service?

(02-28-2019, 06:40 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: It looks like GRT spring service usually starts in late April. If GrandLinq wants to align with that, we have a two month wait.

Is GRT still planning to introduce the "2018 Network Redesign" when ION starts service?

that was always the plan
(02-28-2019, 06:40 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: It looks like GRT spring service usually starts in late April. If GrandLinq wants to align with that, we have a two month wait.

This is precisely why they are targeting that date, so the new network starts with a scheduled service change.
(02-28-2019, 05:01 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: .....
  • All rolling stock vehicle testing required to start revenue service is complete
  • Reliability of vehicles is not yet “ready for service”
  • Overall reliability of the vehicles continues to be an issue. Bombardier needs to complete significant modifications to address reliability issues. This totals approximately 50 to 100 hours per vehicle of critical work that needs to completed before service starts and 200 to 250 hours of work that can be completed after service starts. These types of issues can be expected with an initial run of vehicles. 
  • Preliminary Acceptance Certificate (PAC) and Final Acceptance Certificate (FAC) processes still need to be completed.

To begin service, vehicles must go through an acceptance process. Significantly, no vehicles are yet fully ready for service, in that they have not yet achieved Preliminary Acceptance Certificate (PAC) or Final Acceptance Certificate (FAC).

Thanks so much for posting!

I am confused here, these two highlighted statements seem to be in direct disagreement.

"All rolling stock vehicle testing required to start revenue service is complete"

And multiple statements explaining the work left to be done on vehicles explicitly before revenue service and discussing reliability issues of the vehicles suggests that stock vehicles are not completed testing for revenue service.

What does the first statement mean?
Well, the only take-away from tonight's meeting is... we'll find out in March when opening day will be, and that planing for that day has already begun!
CTV jumped the gun reporting on the update before that tidbit.
I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel … and it might be an in-service LRT coming our way!

"Spring" is good for me. It seems that they now have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done before we go live.

(02-28-2019, 08:58 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: CTV jumped the gun reporting on the update before that tidbit.

It's your fault - you kept clicking "Refresh" all day on the Regional webpage, and posted it here, first!

Tongue
(02-28-2019, 07:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 05:01 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: .....
  • All rolling stock vehicle testing required to start revenue service is complete
  • Reliability of vehicles is not yet “ready for service”
  • Overall reliability of the vehicles continues to be an issue. Bombardier needs to complete significant modifications to address reliability issues. This totals approximately 50 to 100 hours per vehicle of critical work that needs to completed before service starts and 200 to 250 hours of work that can be completed after service starts. These types of issues can be expected with an initial run of vehicles. 
  • Preliminary Acceptance Certificate (PAC) and Final Acceptance Certificate (FAC) processes still need to be completed.

To begin service, vehicles must go through an acceptance process. Significantly, no vehicles are yet fully ready for service, in that they have not yet achieved Preliminary Acceptance Certificate (PAC) or Final Acceptance Certificate (FAC).

Thanks so much for posting!

I am confused here, these two highlighted statements seem to be in direct disagreement.

"All rolling stock vehicle testing required to start revenue service is complete"

And multiple statements explaining the work left to be done on vehicles explicitly before revenue service and discussing reliability issues of the vehicles suggests that stock vehicles are not completed testing for revenue service.

What does the first statement mean?

I think the sentence makes much more sense if we read it as "All rolling stock vehicles required to start revenue service are complete". Maybe that's what they meant, maybe that's not.
(02-28-2019, 06:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Just happy to be along for the ride. Smile it’s been an incredible journey. I’ll be a little sad when it’s over, a sentiment I’m sure many who were actually responsible for bringing it to life will feel, too.

It's going to be crazy once it's actually up and running.

Remember when it was just an idea?  Then all of the opposition in the 2010 and 2014 elections?  Then finally getting the vote to go ahead with it.  It's been a heck of a ride.
(02-28-2019, 10:33 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 06:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Just happy to be along for the ride. Smile it’s been an incredible journey. I’ll be a little sad when it’s over, a sentiment I’m sure many who were actually responsible for bringing it to life will feel, too.

It's going to be crazy once it's actually up and running.

Remember when it was just an idea?  Then all of the opposition in the 2010 and 2014 elections?  Then finally getting the vote to go ahead with it.  It's been a heck of a ride.

Lol, when it contributed to my choice to stay here in 2010, I never thought I'd still be waiting for it in 2019.
ION service date to be announced near end of March
Quote:Regional Council briefly touched on the LRT update in their meeting, but little was discussed beyond the hope of a service date announcement.

"We are hoping, near the end of March, to actually be in a position to announce the start date for the service," Regional Councillor Tom Galloway said.

The last update for the ION service was set for spring 2019, though no specific date was given.
https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ch-1266896
Has anybody heard anything lately about expected ridership levels for ION? original estimates prior to 2014 were 25,000 a day on average, then at some point that was changed to 27,000 a day when projections for bus ridership were reach a few years early. Of course, that was before the downfalls in 2014, 2015, and 2016. ION aBRT introduced in 2015 grew from ~2,000/day in 2015 to ~2,700/day in 2017 based on emails I got from GRT, but they haven't responded to my requests about 7+200 ridership since 2014.

(03-01-2019, 01:03 PM)Bytor Wrote: Has anybody heard anything lately about expected ridership levels for ION? original estimates prior to 2014 were 25,000 a day on average, then at some point that was changed to 27,000 a day when projections for bus ridership were reach a few years early. Of course, that was before the downfalls in 2014, 2015, and 2016. ION aBRT introduced in 2015 grew from ~2,000/day in 2015 to ~2,700/day in 2017 based on emails I got from GRT, but they haven't responded to my requests about 7+200 ridership since 2014.

Considering they haven't started posting this year's monthly ridership numbers yet I have a feeling some resources are tied up planning launch of LRT.
From the radio and my own observations it seems we have 504,505,508,509,511 out today! Indication of progress with more than 4 LRVs? Tongue
(I’ve been told my Dec observation was likely inaccurate, which is totally possible)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »