Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(04-13-2015, 09:29 PM)YKF Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 11:03 AM)Markster Wrote: My reading of the map told me that yes, it does.

The new 20 will not stop at Charles St. Terminal. The routing (traveling eastbound) will see it travel along Victoria St., make a right onto Weber, and then turn left onto Frederick St.
2015 Preferred Changes Plan Map

You're both right! If you look at the downtown Kitchener inset view, you can see that: 1) the regular 204 and 1 routes do not go to the Charles Street Terminal; and 2) the detour routing during ION construction does take them there. The 20 won't go to the terminal at all.

I was confusing the 1 and the 20 when I was writing that.
New Hamburg/Baden getting a GRT bus route to Kitchener, beginning in January 2016.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3032397
I'm worried about what September 2015 will look like in downtown. The decentralization of a few routes and connections between "Charles St. buses" and "non-Charles St. buses" might be messy when everything is still under construction and routes are on detours. I'm all for decentralization, it's just I'm wondering of it would be best to hold off until the dust has settled in 2017 (re:route 20 avoiding Charles St).
Thanks for the link to the preferred option map; the inset clearly shows the 20's new routing.

My next question is what are the proposed stops for the 204 between Highland/Queen and Frederick/King?
The preferred option map seems to show a stop on Highland at Queen, whereas the map in the committee report seems to show the stop on Queen between Highland and Woodside.
The preferred option map seems to show a stop on Queen at Joseph Schneider Haus, whereas the map in the committee report seems to show the stop on Queen near Courtland.
The preferred option map seems to show a stop on Frederick at King (Ion stop), whereas the map in the committee report seems to show the stop on Benton at Charles.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Gotta love when your bus is 7 minutes late, thus necessitating a 30 minute wait at your next stop as you're too late to make the connection that the GRT Trip Planner states.

Rubbish!
GRT Spring Service started today, and I noticed on the way to work that there is now a 200 iXpress stop at King & Bridgeport. Unfortunately that seems to be the only new stop added - a Kitchener Market stop, at least on Saturdays, would be very convenient.

...what.

Looking at the new schedule:
http://www.grt.ca/en/routesSchedules/res...ng2015.pdf

Looks like that stop is in preparation for the construction closing the Uptown Waterloo stop at Willis Way.

Also, damn you summer service on the iXpress.  The electronic sign at Charles is broken, only showing the bus *after* the next bus, so when I saw "17 minutes", I assumed that meant the next bus was 7 minutes away, not 2!  I saw the iXpress leave the terminal from the inside of a 7E that promptly had a 7 minute layover.
(04-27-2015, 10:49 AM)goggolor Wrote: GRT Spring Service started today, and I noticed on the way to work that there is now a 200 iXpress stop at King & Bridgeport.

I believe this is in preparation for upcoming closures on King between Erb and Union when construction moves north later this Spring.
Oh! I see that GRT finally simplified the iXpress schedule by condensing several hours of numbers into "every 15 minutes"!

I tweeted them a storm back in August 2014 about this:
https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/...9544244225
https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/...3934385152
https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/...9840866304
https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/...7120772096

Yay!
(04-27-2015, 10:49 AM)goggolor Wrote: GRT Spring Service started today, and I noticed on the way to work that there is now a 200 iXpress stop at King & Bridgeport. Unfortunately that seems to be the only new stop added - a Kitchener Market stop, at least on Saturdays, would be very convenient.

Someone here reported a couple of weeks ago that there was indeed a (temporary) iXpress stop at Weber/Victoria- which would make a lot of sense. I was speaking with someone the other day who told me that she was catching the 200 around there, but also noted that the stop might change from one day to the next. She actually told me that, one morning, she saw a construction worker holding the temporary stop in the process of moving it a ways.

Are the stops in the schedule that googolor linked to the real ones? Are they still in flux for the time being?
Where is this iXpress stop at King and Bridgeport? I see no sign of it, either on King or on Bridgeport.
I incorrectly reported on Twitter that the iXpress was indeed stopping at Weber/Victoria, because the first iXpress ride I took with the detour did stop there. That has never been repeated.

The Bridgeport stop is the regular #7 northbound stop at Bridgeport.

The 1957 Kitchener Transit service map below was recently posted to the "You Know You're From Kitchener When..." Facebook Group.
[Image: 11212130_10205393645974044_2694454207941561018_o.jpg]
[Image: 10986975_10205393646854066_7629022867146664194_o.jpg]
Was there ever any discussion by GRT about a true express bus? Like, one that Starts at Conestoga Mall and stops at Say King/University, Waterloo Town Square, Victoria St (future train station), Fairview Mall, Somewhere practical in Cambridge, Ainsle St?

I find our current iXpress set up to be somewhat misleading and am left wondering what the express part of it is.