Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-03-2018, 07:18 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: It's the usual practice for the reports to be left off the agenda until the day of the meeting so that it is kept out of the press cycle until it is discussed at the meeting. The media (and the ion twitter account) are saying it will be at the P&W Committee meeting

That really isn't true.

All the other major Ion reports, even controversial ones, like the mode selection, the route selection, the station placement/naming, have all come out beforehand. Unless there is a very good reason for the release of the report to be delayed, e.g. revealing a pending land acquisition, it is really undemocratic too. The Friday to Tuesday window is at least some time for the public to ensure that their councillor knows their views on the report before the vote happens. That they would change their practice now would suggest that it is REALLY bad news, but I hope not.

Regardless of when the report comes out I am expecting mix of good and bad news. The good being being more testing and public events, the bad being a delay in launch.

I hadn't seen that Twitter post until after you mentioned it so that must mean the report is being received in the in-camera portion of the meeting (note that item one on the agenda is "Motion to Reconvene into Open Session") or that report wasn't finished in time to be posted with the rest of the agenda items and is awaiting final details to be firmed up (imagine the nightmare the person who has to schedule Trudeau and Ford to get on the same train to take credit during the opening is going through!).

Also, I noticed this in the finance agenda:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

What twitter post?

The crossing at Shelley sounds like the one they’re already finishing up, which had been closed due to expropriation issues with the car dealership. Crews are still working frantically to complete it.
This is the one I just came across.

This is the one I originally saw.
(11-03-2018, 12:13 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 07:18 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: It's the usual practice for the reports to be left off the agenda until the day of the meeting so that it is kept out of the press cycle until it is discussed at the meeting. The media (and the ion twitter account) are saying it will be at the P&W Committee meeting

That really isn't true.

All the other major Ion reports, even controversial ones, like the mode selection, the route selection, the station placement/naming, have all come out beforehand. Unless there is a very good reason for the release of the report to be delayed, e.g. revealing a pending land acquisition, it is really undemocratic too. The Friday to Tuesday window is at least some time for the public to ensure that their councillor knows their views on the report before the vote happens. That they would change their practice now would suggest that it is REALLY bad news, but I hope not.

Regardless of when the report comes out I am expecting mix of good and bad news. The good being being more testing and public events, the bad being a delay in launch.

I hadn't seen that Twitter post until after you mentioned it so that must mean the report is being received in the in-camera portion of the meeting (note that item one on the agenda is "Motion to Reconvene into Open Session") or that report wasn't finished in time to be posted with the rest of the agenda items and is awaiting final details to be firmed up (imagine the nightmare the person who has to schedule Trudeau and Ford to get on the same train to take credit during the opening is going through!).

It has been true for most of the previous ION Vehicle updates that they were not on the media release agenda until the morning of the meeting. It has been that way because the local media has, with every vehicle progress report, spun the contents in a negative light. Better to release it the day of than let it percolate in the media cycle for the Friday - Tuesday period. As for the contents, I don't expect any delays. We have 6 (soon to be 7-9) vehicles with equipment installed here, once 511 is done debugging the systems it's full steam ahead with equipment testing and everything will start falling into place quite rapidly. 505, 507 & 509 have been doing operator training (in both daylight and nighttime conditions) and simulated burn-in testing for the past couple of weeks as well in preparation for the ramp-up of testing. 

As for Ford, he has no place being at the opening. His government had no role in funding ION and him being there would be another classic case of the government of the day taking credit for the hard work of a previous government.
(11-03-2018, 12:47 PM)Canard Wrote: What twitter post?

The crossing at Shelley sounds like the one they’re already finishing up, which had been closed due to expropriation issues with the car dealership. Crews are still working frantically to complete it.

Shelley is the alternative entrance for the dealership that currently has only a pedestrian crossing. Siebert is the one that was half-built
(11-04-2018, 07:16 PM)Canard Wrote: So, any bets on the news ahead of Tuesday?

I'm going with May (2019).

I could see them pitching or proposing that they could be ready by February... but opening in the dead of winter, the first winter/snow that the trains have ever seen (either in testing or in training) sounds like a bad idea*.  Also saying May means there's some padding - if they're ready in April, open in April, and everyone thinks "Yay, early!".  Under-promise, over-deliver.

* - sure, some towing happened in like February, but we didn't see powered testing until the snow left, IIRC.  They haven't had a full snowstorm to deal with and figure out how to make things work properly - they didn't even practice snow clearing last winter, which completely and absolutely blows my mind.

There was some powered testing in Winter. But it was mostly just 502 in the yard. They did practice snow clearing, they needed to to perform the clearance testing.

I can still see it happening for December. Once 511 is done debugging they can open the floodgates and let all the equipped trains out. They 505, 507, & 509 can get theirs installed
(11-03-2018, 01:00 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 12:13 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: That really isn't true.

It has been true for most of the previous ION Vehicle updates that they were not on the media release agenda until the morning of the meeting. It has been that way because the local media has, with every vehicle progress report, spun the contents in a negative light. Better to release it the day of than let it percolate in the media cycle for the Friday - Tuesday period. As for the contents, I don't expect any delays. We have 6 (soon to be 7-9) vehicles with equipment installed here, once 511 is done debugging the systems it's full steam ahead with equipment testing and everything will start falling into place quite rapidly. 505, 507 & 509 have been doing operator training (in both daylight and nighttime conditions) and simulated burn-in testing for the past couple of weeks as well in preparation for the ramp-up of testing. 

As for Ford, he has no place being at the opening. His government had no role in funding ION and him being there would be another classic case of the government of the day taking credit for the hard work of a previous government.
So its better to not give citizens the few days to review the report and give feedback to their government representatives? You sound like you support the strategy of not giving people information in a timely manner.

(11-04-2018, 10:02 PM)darts Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 01:00 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: It has been true for most of the previous ION Vehicle updates that they were not on the media release agenda until the morning of the meeting. It has been that way because the local media has, with every vehicle progress report, spun the contents in a negative light. Better to release it the day of than let it percolate in the media cycle for the Friday - Tuesday period. As for the contents, I don't expect any delays. We have 6 (soon to be 7-9) vehicles with equipment installed here, once 511 is done debugging the systems it's full steam ahead with equipment testing and everything will start falling into place quite rapidly. 505, 507 & 509 have been doing operator training (in both daylight and nighttime conditions) and simulated burn-in testing for the past couple of weeks as well in preparation for the ramp-up of testing. 

So its better to not give citizens the few days to review the report and give feedback to their government representatives? You sound like you support the strategy of not giving people information in a timely manner.
Unfortunately there aren't enough people outside of this bubble that care enough to read reports to council and instead rely on the media coverage of council reports which on the LRT tend to be negatively biased.
(11-04-2018, 08:20 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: I can still see it happening for December. Once 511 is done debugging they can open the floodgates and let all the equipped trains out. They 505, 507, & 509 can get theirs installed

While I appreciate the optimism when I consider that the custom equipment for the other LRVs here in Waterloo started 113 days ago or 79 work days ago (on July 16) I can't imagine how it is possible to meet the December timeline.

Even if they can get the installation to a quarter of the first round of installation time, say 20 days, and work 7 days a week, you are still looking at November 25.

Even if they can finish testing the trackside signals and timing between now and then they would still have to fit in testing all the newly installed specialized equipment, burn-in time, simulated service, and other testing. I could see the remaining Kingston vehicles arriving before year-end, but even that seems unlikely at this point (I think 501 will be the hold up; and even when they remaining trains arrive they will have testing that needs to be done).

Again, I appreciate the optimism, and I hope I am wrong, but I cannot see it opening in December 2018 even with a reduced service level.
We can guess, but we really don't know what parts of testing have been completed so far.  What gives me hope that they can hit a December deadline is that they are still testing weekends.  Grandlinq wouldn't pay staff to come in and work weekends if they didn't still feel that they could hit a December deadline.
(11-05-2018, 08:03 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: We can guess, but we really don't know what parts of testing have been completed so far.  What gives me hope that they can hit a December deadline is that they are still testing weekends.  Grandlinq wouldn't pay staff to come in and work weekends if they didn't still feel that they could hit a December deadline.

I'm not sure about that. They have hired their drivers, and those drivers need to work, rather than sit home and collect free money. And they might as well as keep testing.

Personally, I don't see this LRT running anytime soon, and my guess is sometime between late spring 2019 and early winter 2020.
(11-05-2018, 08:20 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 08:03 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: We can guess, but we really don't know what parts of testing have been completed so far.  What gives me hope that they can hit a December deadline is that they are still testing weekends.  Grandlinq wouldn't pay staff to come in and work weekends if they didn't still feel that they could hit a December deadline.

I'm not sure about that. They have hired their drivers, and those drivers need to work, rather than sit home and collect free money. And they might as well as keep testing.

Personally, I don't see this LRT running anytime soon, and my guess is sometime between late spring 2019 and early winter 2020.

What basis do you hold that belief?  Launch is imminent, trains are almost here, testing is in full swing.  Unless there was a major failure, trains were defective or specialized equipment didn't work, there is no reason to think that they aren't close to launch in December.  Whether they hit December or not it still should be close.

And it isn't just drivers who are testing, the trains are full of engineers and other highly paid employees who would rather have their weekends off. For that matter, how are drivers paid?

You are assuming that weekend labour costs are greater than weekday costs. It could be that that as long as the shift is scheduled far enough in advance and not in excess of the length of a regular day that it is considered a regular shift and not OT.

(11-05-2018, 09:14 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:

You are assuming that weekend labour costs are greater than weekday costs. It could be that that as long as the shift is scheduled far enough in advance and not in excess of the length of a regular day that it is considered a regular shift and not OT.

I am making that assumption, but I don't think it's undeserved.  Again, it *might* not be true for drivers, if they have enough drivers such that none are working more than a five day work week, but I suspect it probably isn't true for the dozen engineers and other auxiliary personnel who are also work on testing the train, who didn't sign up for a weekend job. Construction usually costs more when done on weekends.
So someone will share this magical PDF update prior to Tuesday’s meeting? Yes? Big Grin

For attending do you just show up a little before 7, and then they let you in after the closed session goes “open” or something like that?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »