Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-18-2018, 07:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Wouldn’t it be OK to tow it with those little wheels that tow trucks carry?

Dollies (those little wheels) are labour intensive, and when towing a vehicle for illegal parking slow the process down.

(05-18-2018, 07:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Also I’m confident towing for illegal parking is done very carefully. I’m pretty sure the tow operator is liable for any damage to the target vehicle.

I wouldn't be so confident on that. Wink Technically they are liable if you can prove they caused the damage. When I worked in Toronto, until the car was fully hooked up, if the driver came back, there would be a drop fee, that was significantly cheaper than the full tow bill. Never underestimate a greedy tow truck operator who will do whatever it takes to get the vehicle out of there in as little time as possible.

Coke

A crew was picking away at the crossover switches at Cameron this afternoon. Last week (or the week before? It’s all happening so fast!) when the lock got installed on the OCS, they also had trouble with the switches not registering they were locked in position there. I guess they were fixing that today.
If you have an interest in the history of street railways, electric trains, tunnels, infrastructure, rapid transit or intensification, you've got to watch American Experience: The Race Underground on Netflix.

https://youtu.be/JTXIrmDBfSw
We spotted 506 (!) wearing 8.5x11 nameplates heading up Charles on our way home tonight, around 6pm. That’s the latest I think I’ve ever seen them out!

My other half said he heard on the radio that they needed to turn it around in the yard for tomorrow’s testing.

The train was loaded with mass.
(05-24-2018, 08:45 PM)Canard Wrote: We spotted 506 (!) wearing 8.5x11 nameplates heading up Charles on our way home tonight, around 6pm. That’s the latest I think I’ve ever seen them out!

My other half said he heard on the radio that they needed to turn it around in the yard for tomorrow’s testing.

The train was loaded with mass.

Was that the one with the broken door?  If so, must have fixed it.  Thank you.
The door wasn’t necessarily broken - it was forced open by vandals. You’re welcome!
They're working on the crossing gates on Columbia. One of the pedestrian ones was being a little stubborn.

So I just witnessed a. "idiot"

I was on the route 7 heading towards Grand River hospital. Some idiot in a black pickup truck pulled onto the south bound tracks by Allan, and proceeded to the next intersection and made a right hand turn in front of the bus.

Truck has no markings and buddy driving didn't have a vest on, so I doubt it was a work crew.
I’ve been asked to put out an APB to all ion fans....

Please, please, please stay clear of the tracks during testing.

Apparently, people were standing on the rapidway today taking photos and video today.

This not only is super dangerous, but it slows down testing.

Thanks!
Speaking of activity on the rapidway, this crew was doing a repair in as small a space as they could arrange.

[Image: 3dw7.jpg]
Over in the planning and works agenda, i noticed a really interesting thing on page 61, a conceptual option for "Stage 3".

They had a dotted line running from Connestoga Mall south on King Street, then heading west down University and Erb St to Ira Needles.

Interesting concept.
(05-25-2018, 11:26 PM)Markster Wrote: Over in the planning and works agenda, i noticed a really interesting thing on page 61, a conceptual option for "Stage 3".

They had a dotted line running from Connestoga Mall south on King Street, then heading west down University and Erb St to Ira Needles.

Interesting concept.

It is also interesting to see a potential GO station in Breslau including a rail alignment to the airport.
(05-25-2018, 11:26 PM)Markster Wrote: They had a dotted line running from Connestoga Mall south on King Street, then heading west down University and Erb St to Ira Needles.

This pleases me:

This means that the technology choice is open. (Even though we all know it’s 98% certain to be LRT/Tram)

...better sharpen up my PowerPoint skills. Tongue

(05-25-2018, 11:26 PM)Markster Wrote: Over in the planning and works agenda, i noticed a really interesting thing on page 61, a conceptual option for "Stage 3".

Interesting concept.

Also, the line running down Victoria (west). Not much room in between Park st. and Lawrence, albeit it would be a one way line. I often wonder if the region/city is secretly buying properties along Victoria for future expansion, for road expansion at the very least.
(05-26-2018, 07:09 AM)Canard Wrote: This means that the technology choice is open. (Even though we all know it’s 98% certain to be LRT/Tram)

...better sharpen up my PowerPoint skills. Tongue

Unfortunately, in this case “RT” means they might settle for BRT. I’d say it’s about a 30% change LRT, 70% chance BRT, rounding error all other possibilities combined. Now that we have an LRT system, all future non-bus expansion will be LRT. The new line will not require more maintenance facilities; they would just have to add some additional storage tracks to the OMSF. So the plus side is that the per-km cost of an expansion will be less, until we get to such a large system that the existing maintenance spaces are insufficient.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »