Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I think the latest intel is that Bombardier is actually going to try and do the rework here.

502 is on the siding just north of Randall Drive. They had some problems dropping it off last night, from what I understand. Crews are getting the ramp out and setting it up right now. The little train-robot is out, too! It’s cute. Smile

(10-03-2017, 08:58 AM)Canard Wrote: I think the latest intel is that Bombardier is actually going to try and do the rework here.

502 is on the siding just north of Randall Drive. They had some problems dropping it off last night, from what I understand.

Thanks for the update. Any idea what the problems were? I’m not aware that dropping off the LRV is any different from any other “leave some cars here” job — I mean, they don’t roll it down the ramp in the middle of the night or anything like that. Interesting to hear in any case.
The switch was locked. So they had to pull it all the way up to Elmira, while someone (presumably) made some phone calls and got the switch for the siding unlocked.

The security guys guarding it on Randall said that it showed up “very late” last night.
Quick question. Driving around town this morning, I saw two buses (GRT and a schoolbus) come to a complete stop *in* the intersection before crossing the ION tracks like they would at a railroad crossing. That's not required is it?
Which intersection?
(10-03-2017, 10:06 AM)timc Wrote: Which intersection?

Union and King. Buses were crossing eastbound toward Weber on Union.
Well as you know, it was still in the yard at 7:15 last night... and it was immediately adjacent to my VIA Train that went by!

Sad I didn't get the camera up in time.

Coke

(10-03-2017, 10:12 AM)KingandWeber Wrote: Union and King. Buses were crossing eastbound toward Weber on Union.

I'm not a bus driver, but... That's not a railroad crossing. They shouldn't need to stop.
They only need to stop if the crossing is marked with a red and white "railway X-ing" sign, no?
502 is offloaded and into the OMSF!
(10-03-2017, 10:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: They only need to stop if the crossing is marked with a red and white "railway X-ing" sign, no?

As far as I know, yes.
(10-03-2017, 11:55 AM)Canard Wrote: 502 is offloaded and into the OMSF!

And it was never seen again...
(10-03-2017, 10:04 AM)KingandWeber Wrote: Quick question. Driving around town this morning, I saw two buses (GRT and a schoolbus) come to a complete stop *in* the intersection before crossing the ION tracks like they would at a railroad crossing. That's not required is it?

Not only is it not required, it's dangerous - people shouldn't expect a vehicle to stop after it's entered an intersection.

(10-03-2017, 01:11 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 10:04 AM)KingandWeber Wrote: Quick question. Driving around town this morning, I saw two buses (GRT and a schoolbus) come to a complete stop *in* the intersection before crossing the ION tracks like they would at a railroad crossing. That's not required is it?

Not only is it not required, it's dangerous - people shouldn't expect a vehicle to stop after it's entered an intersection.

Good point. I thought there had been some discussion about how GRT would handle the LRT tracks. Does anybody know if they have been stopping at the in-street LRT tracks regularly, or was this an unusual occurrence? I know they still stop on University at the Waterloo Spur.

In any event, buses should definitely not stop at in-street tracks. Of course, it’s probably not the drivers’ fault — they probably haven’t been clearly informed by management/government/whoever. And bus drivers are all about following rules exactly, even when they are absurd.
Concrete being poured at Fairway for the track buffer.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »