Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
So if it's in the "Mac Yard", does that pretty much confirm it's coming straight along the GO Kitchener line, and won't be going to London and all that nonsense like last time?

Today's LRT rant post in the local food group. No problem with the OP using her phone while driving though Dodgy

[Image: OEI2emY.png]
(09-29-2017, 03:15 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Today's LRT rant post in the local food group. No problem with the OP using her phone while driving though Dodgy

[Image: OEI2emY.png]

She's not the first person to be using their phone while turning into that Tim Hortons.  Someone in a pickup truck just about hit me doing so.
(09-29-2017, 03:08 PM)Canard Wrote: So if it's in the "Mac Yard", does that pretty much confirm it's coming straight along the GO Kitchener line, and won't be going to London and all that nonsense like last time?

I would say so.
What makes people think they can block the only lane of traffic because they can't pull into a private driveway? Surely there must be a traffic violation in this.
(09-29-2017, 03:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: What makes people think they can block the only lane of traffic because they can't pull into a private driveway? Surely there must be a traffic violation in this.

Similar behaviour to people who realize they meant to turn left, then just stop in the middle of the intersection until they can do so, blocking the entire line of cars behind them. Some seem to have trouble understanding that you can’t always drive where you want to, and just have to proceed with the flow until you get to an appropriate place to turn around or change direction.

On the flip side, I’ve seen a drivethrough line that took up twice as much space as it needed to because everybody in the line was being super-cautious and leaving more than a carlength between them and the next car. There is such a thing as too much safety!
Police have been known to ticket drivers for blocking through lanes.

Which shouldn't be surprising... because its clearly illegal.

(09-29-2017, 03:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: What makes people think they can block the only lane of traffic because they can't pull into a private driveway? Surely there must be a traffic violation in this.

I don't think there is anything specific in the HTA about waiting to make a turn from a two-lane (or one-lane) road.  At some point the driver could be ticketed with a more general obstruction of traffic but I expect that this would need to be at the discretion of the ticketing officer -- and more difficult to enforce in court.
(09-29-2017, 01:56 PM)Canard Wrote: It's kind of infuriating how they make everything as difficult as possible that way.  Smile  Like, why not just say Pickering!?!?  Why make everyone Google it?

Those are not town names. They are the names of particular points on the railway network. For example, CN Silver is the junction between the GEXR Guelph Sub and the CN Halton Sub. It happens to be in Georgetown but from the point of view of railway operations that is irrelevant. Of course, many railway names are the names of nearby towns but not always. Sometimes it’s not even possible because there are multiple name points in the same town.

Indeed, on the Halton Sub, Mile 23.5 is Georgetown, while Mile 24.1 is Silver.

http://www.niagararails.com/halton.phtml
(09-29-2017, 04:15 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Police have been known to ticket drivers for blocking through lanes.

Which shouldn't be surprising... because its clearly illegal.

According to everyone who has tried reporting similar drive-thru road obstructions, WRPS either never shows up or outright admits they simply don't have the staff resources to deal with it. Apparently Tims is giving out free coffee this week so it may be worse than usual on King St.
(09-29-2017, 04:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Those are not town names. They are the names of particular points on the railway network. For example, CN Silver is the junction between the GEXR Guelph Sub and the CN Halton Sub. It happens to be in Georgetown but from the point of view of railway operations that is irrelevant. Of course, many railway names are the names of nearby towns but not always. Sometimes it’s not even possible because there are multiple name points in the same town.

But... why?

Why intentionally call it a confusing name, when a more easily recognizable name exists? I just don't understand the logic behind intentionally making something less clear.
(09-29-2017, 04:28 PM)Canard Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 04:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Those are not town names. They are the names of particular points on the railway network. For example, CN Silver is the junction between the GEXR Guelph Sub and the CN Halton Sub. It happens to be in Georgetown but from the point of view of railway operations that is irrelevant. Of course, many railway names are the names of nearby towns but not always. Sometimes it’s not even possible because there are multiple name points in the same town.

But... why?

Why intentionally call it a confusing name, when a more easily recognizable name exists?  I just don't understand the logic behind intentionally making something less clear.

for radio purposes I guess. Silver is a lot more concise than Georgetown West and won't get confused with Georgetown if there's radio interference
(09-29-2017, 04:28 PM)Canard Wrote: Why intentionally call it a confusing name, when a more easily recognizable name exists?  I just don't understand the logic behind intentionally making something less clear.

Names change with amalgamations, way points are forever.   Big Grin

(I'm sure the names were clear when the track was layed, changing them with the local political winds that rename and expand cities would be confusing to railroad operations, and confused operators = accidents.)

Exactly - it makes sense *to them*, and their internal group is the only audience they are considering. There's very little need for the general public (beyond us keener nerds) to know the ins and outs of freight rail locations.
(09-29-2017, 04:25 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: According to everyone who has tried reporting similar drive-thru road obstructions, WRPS either never shows up or outright admits they simply don't have the staff resources to deal with it. Apparently Tims is giving out free coffee this week so it may be worse than usual on King St.

Ugh. Ultimately I guess you have to deal with at Tim Horton's level. Make them redesign the drive through or shutting it down. That's a main route to the hospital and I don't think its reasonable at all to have the road blocked.

This is much different than those places where one lane of two gets blocked (which I still hate) or blocking a side road where people have a simple detour they can take before they get blocked (which I also still don't like).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »