Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-19-2017, 10:21 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: SATURDAY JUNE 24, 2017
10:00am
ALL YOU CAN EAT CEREAL & CARTOON PARTY
160 MINS, G
THE SATURDAY MORNING ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT-CEREAL CARTOON PARTY!
Curated by Kier-La Janisse

Remember Saturday mornings? Kids today may not realize the significance of the Saturday morning ritual, but once upon a time, we had to wait a whole week to get our cartoon fix, and when we got it, we tended to binge. In that gleefully gluttonous spirit, curator Kier-La Janisse presents a 3-hour trip down memory lane with a tribute to the eye-popping, brain-addling Saturday morning cartoons of yore, complete with a smorgasbord of delicious sugary cereals (and yes, we have non-dairy too!)! You’ll see both faves and obscurities spanning the 60s through the 80s, all punctuated with vintage commercials and PSAs! The lineup is always a secret, but there will be monsters, sci-fi, sleuths, superheroes and all kinds of 2D silliness, so get ready for a sugar rush and an explosion of nostalgia all wrapped up in one candy-coated package.

Lets see Cineplex do that!

youtube

Youtube's going to help cineplex do that? Unlikely.
I find it kinda weird how this thread managed to stay on topic for over 500 pages but now y'all are talking about movies and paying for roads instead of LRT stuff.... c'mon folks, more pictures... especially for people like me stuck out of town! I can't keep an eye on everything from Alberta! Smile
(06-19-2017, 10:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:56 PM)darts Wrote: And you're making assumptions too, cineplex serves food too, most others have food available that you can take in or a foodcourt in the mall.  cineplex is licensed, although if you feel that you must have a drink and can't watch a movie without one, well you might be an alcoholic. 

Of course the main reason I was saying it was better was because it has bigger movies sooner, not all of them are hits, but it is the main reason for going to a theatre. Most other movies after time can be watched at home with a sound system.

I thought Cineplex was only licensed in select "VIP" theaters.

In any case, I'm well aware they serve fast food, that's not what Apollo serves, and again, I think they only serve you food *in* the theatre in select VIP theaters.

And of course all movies can be watched at home.  I don't care to go to a theater to see a movie sooner 90% of the time, but I do go to Apollo for the ambiance.

The cineplex on fairway has VIP theatres and serves food like calamari, caesar salads bruschetta flat breads and more. They also have a fully licensed lounge and bar, where you can sit down either at a booth or table or at the bar have drinks and have a server help you order some food. Or you can choose to go into a theatre to watch a movie and have drinks and food be brought to your seat. So you are wrong and believing they only serve you food "in the theatre".
And of course the VIP section is 19+ only so that a plus not having screaming kids ruining the movie for you.
Yeah, okay if you need to keep on talking movie theatres, you should probably take it to a different thread.

Here's the one for Apollo Cinema:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=359
(06-19-2017, 09:50 PM)darts Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:39 PM)Canard Wrote: The "To Conestoga" and "To Fairway" signs have other information on the back, because depending on what side of the sign you're standing on, you need different information.

But when standing on the platform it is good to be able to look up and confirm you are on the correct side if you didn't check when following people or had a brainfart and forgot where you were.

They do have signage on the platform indicating exactly that. See my other photos...
It looks like they have installed red brick with white painted stripes on top in the pedestrian crossings at king and John. I'll try to get a picture by end of day.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Train 2 has slipped to August/September. Sad
Council is reporting the second LRT vehicle has been delayed until late August/early September due to testing problems of some kind.

Bombardier continues to claim the remaining vehicles are on schedule for delivery according to the previous schedule (ending in December).

https://twitter.com/andreabellemare/stat...8140664835
Spring 2018 has to be out then, doesn't it? The latest schedule had the second vehicle delivered in June, with a new one every two weeks thereafter. Even if they can keep to the "every two weeks," and even if the second vehicle really is here by early September, that would mean the last wouldn't get here until into February.

Disappointing.
(06-20-2017, 11:11 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Spring 2018 has to be out then, doesn't it? The latest schedule had the second vehicle delivered in June, with a new one every two weeks thereafter. Even if they can keep to the "every two weeks," and even if the second vehicle really is here by early September, that would mean the last wouldn't get here until into February.

Disappointing.

No, that's not what was said.  Bombardier claims all vehicles will be delivered by December.  Whether this is an accelerated schedule, or only the second vehicle is delayed I don't know, and whether you believe Bombardier or not, well, that's up to you Tongue, but according to them, their original deadline is still in play.

Also, it was never Spring 2018 IIRC, wasn't it Jan/Feb 2018?
(06-20-2017, 09:38 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: It looks like they have installed red brick with white painted stripes on top in the pedestrian crossings at king and John. I'll try to get a picture by end of day.

Really??? an actual streetscape decorative element as part of this project?!? Wow... I wonder if they will do something similar elsewhere!
Disappointing confirmation of what was suspected, but nothing surprising here at all.

When the delay last May was announced all the talking points used the term "early 2018" which I am sure many including myself took to be before March 31. The language today is "spring 2018" which as we discovered with the king/Victoria underpass is code for June (and now July).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I do think I'd read and heard "Spring 2018" before today. It's a very good point that a common-sense definition of "Spring" was not used for the King Street underpass.
Second LRT vehicle delivery delayed to late August at earliest

So, opening will undoubtedly be "Late Summer 2018" instead of "Early 2018". This is fine by me, so long as it doesn't slip any further - my only requirement is that the Opening Day Ceremony happen on a nice warm day with a clear blue sky!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »