Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Project team is looking into it. I'll keep you posted! Although they never followed up when I pointed out the issue of the "crossing request" button being between the tracks and arms at Erb/Caroline...

Prep work for tile wall happening at Frederick.
(05-16-2017, 12:15 PM)Canard Wrote: Project team is looking into it.  I'll keep you posted!  Although they never followed up when I pointed out the issue of the "crossing request" button being between the tracks and arms at Erb/Caroline...

Would have been caught already if they had posted publicly the detailed design documents. Big Grin
Lettering going up at Central Station - Innovation District! Got a message from a friend working on the anchor walls.
(05-16-2017, 01:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Lettering going up at Central Station - Innovation District! Got a message from a friend working on the anchor walls.

It's also (I believe) the first station to have the glass in the bottom of the anchor walls!
(05-16-2017, 04:27 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 01:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Lettering going up at Central Station - Innovation District! Got a message from a friend working on the anchor walls.

It's also (I believe) the first station to have the glass in the bottom of the anchor walls!
I've seen the glass at another station, though I can't recall which.
I thought the UW station had glass

It does, yeah.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tactile edge tiles at Victoria Park station are staged for installation. Only half the platform has LRV door locations with black tiles <a href="https://t.co/KewYGCxWse">pic.twitter.com/KewYGCxWse</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/864647779020394496">May 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

They're only installing black panels that will align with the doors for the length of 1 LRV.  An interesting choice.
I guess they don't want people seeing the black ones, and assuming that an LRV will show up in front of them (on the wrong end of the platform.)

The very front door has that extra wide tile. I'm not sure the reasoning for that. Perhaps so that someone with visual impairment can find the first available door quickly?
This morning the crew at Queen and Charles have dug up the area near the sidewalk corner in question. Looks like they had some white paint on the ground yesterday, where the new curb would be placed. Seemed a slightly smaller radius that protruded a bit into Queen street, narrowing the lane way slightly right at the intersection before opening back up. Also I think more flat area along the tracks.
(05-17-2017, 11:00 AM)Markster Wrote: The very front door has that extra wide tile.  I'm not sure the reasoning for that.  Perhaps so that someone with visual impairment can find the first available door quickly?

I wonder if it's a subtle cue that that's where the operator is? Sort of like a "DWA*-Lite"?

* - Toronto term; Designated Waiting Area
A short walk through downtown and so much discovered!

Victoria Park platform, edge tiles placed.

[Image: RB06dfL.jpg]

Queen at Charles, road torn up.

[Image: T5iMqCJ.jpg]

Frederick station, feature wall up.

[Image: LXdaTNK.jpg]
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Paving in the Waterloo Public Square area. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> <a href="https://t.co/GMqHoiu7fZ">pic.twitter.com/GMqHoiu7fZ</a></p>&mdash; iain (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/864968729020567552">May 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

Looks like the rework along Charles, between Cedar and Cameron is for some kind of large electrical box (signal-house sized). They're preparing a rectangular foundation with a bunch of conduits running into the one end of it.

Also, haven't seen with my own eyes yet, but beautiful station signage is going up at Northfield today, including an awesome-looking runner strip along the edge of the canopy with GRT and RoW logos. I can't wait to check this out later!
(05-09-2017, 06:26 PM)Canard Wrote: You mean some kind of automatic derailleur*...er, derailler?
* bikes on the brain Tongue

Hopefully this device is never required, but if so I'm sure it'd be quite the sight! It'll derail a westbound train before it enters Uptown.

It's located just east of Willow Street along the Spur Line Trail. Here's a view on Google Street View.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »