Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(03-19-2017, 02:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 02:09 PM)The85 Wrote: By the chunks out of the hydro poles around the roundabout at Margaret and Union (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4672537,-...312!8i6656 and https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.467255,-8...312!8i6656), it's clear some large vehicles have difficulty maneuvering this tighter roundabout.

Looking at that damage, I'm pretty sure it was some large truck making a right-hand turn, not negotiating the roundabout

It does appear to be right turn damage.  Of course, it's still not a good idea to design our roadways bigger to accommodate bad drivers, it should be well known by now, that such design choices only exasperate the problem.  

As for the rest, the centre is intentionally mountable.  Probably some vehicles take it too far, and lazily run over the middle and landscaping would fix this (no matter the screaming and terror that such scenery seems to elicit from various comment sections).

@kps  Yes, I have seen those, I think that's a fantastic design, and I hope one day we can get to that point.

Interestingly, in the Netherlands, many intersections do not even bother with the roundabout, instead preferring to have low speed intersections be entirely uncontrolled and rely on "default priority", something which, although it actually does appear in the HTA, I'm willing to bet less than 1% of drivers know about, hell, I wonder if a substantial portion of police officers are aware of this law.

In any case, for the majority here, "default priority" is basically the opposite of a traffic circle.  In countries where traffic drives on the right hand side of the road, a vehicle approaching an intersection with default priority must yield to vehicle approaching on the right. Basically, it's a 4-way "yield" sign.

Sadly, given that even 1 way yield signs seem beyond some drivers here, I fear it will be a long time before such simple, cheap, easy, and common sense designs will work here.

It of course doesn't help that at least in the Netherlands, these intersections were generally 30 km/h, and, not the pretend 30km/h zones we ever so rarely see here.

In a way, we do have some zones that function kind of like calmed neighbourhoods where vehicles go slow and there is no separation between cars/pedestrians/cyclists. It's basically what you often find in private townhouse developments. I suppose most parking lots are a perverse form of this too.

The point is that there are spaces in North American cities where drivers do slow down and where there isn't a clear hierarchy of users, and I'm willing to bet that that generally collisions are fairly rare in them and when they happen, the risk of fatalities is low and the cost of damages is also low. The question is why we aren't willing to extend that into the public sphere.
(03-19-2017, 01:42 PM)kps Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 12:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There are plenty of options to allow this without making the circle larger.  Mountable medians, lane straddling, and the like.

UK is full of roundabouts like this (image mirrored for driving on the right):

They fit in nearly any intersection, obstruct neither large vehicles nor vision, and cost approximately 15 minutes of paint crew next time they redo the lines.

I can't even imagine how many people would die if they attempted something like that in K-W.
Yeah, I don't think roundabouts are ingrained enough in our driving behaviour. Too many people would barrel through at full speed.
(03-19-2017, 05:41 PM)jamincan Wrote: Yeah, I don't think roundabouts are ingrained enough in our driving behaviour. Too many people would barrel through at full speed.

Or just treat it as a four-way stop, which would rather defeat the purpose even if it resulted in fewer casualties.
(03-19-2017, 05:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 05:41 PM)jamincan Wrote: Yeah, I don't think roundabouts are ingrained enough in our driving behaviour. Too many people would barrel through at full speed.

Or just treat it as a four-way stop, which would rather defeat the purpose even if it resulted in fewer casualties.

Depends on what the purpose is.  Fewer casualties is at least one of the purposes of putting in a roundabout.  

But surely there is middle ground between full stop and not slowing down at all.  Quite frankly if some licensed drivers here are incapable of achieving that middle ground, then they really shouldn't qualify for a license.
"But surely there is middle ground between full stop and not slowing down at all. Quite frankly if some licensed drivers here are incapable of achieving that middle ground, then they really shouldn't qualify for a license."

Isn't being given a driver's license a protected right in Canada?

And: don't most drivers here achieve that middle ground at any stop sign they encounter? They do slow down, but no need for a full stop for most of them.

(03-19-2017, 07:04 PM)MidTowner Wrote: "But surely there is middle ground between full stop and not slowing down at all.  Quite frankly if some licensed drivers here are incapable of achieving that middle ground, then they really shouldn't qualify for a license."

And: don't most drivers here achieve that middle ground at any stop sign they encounter? They do slow down, but no need for a full stop for most of them.

Uhh, no, a driver's license is not a "right", in any sense of the word.  Not sure why you're implying with "protected" but the usual discrimination laws apply (a province couldn't decide to restrict licenses based on gender, or cultural identity) but they have no requirement to guarantee licensing to everyone.

We do have the right or freedom of travel, which is totally different.

You're right, most drivers do rolling stops here anyway.  Ironically, those same drivers freak out when cyclists do the same thing.  Regardless, I'm not sure of the right solution, redefining the word stop to mean yield, I don't think is a good solution, and this is the direction we're heading now.

However, WRT my sentence, it was in response to the idea that we needed to treat the traffic circles as "four way stops".  I agree that most (well, probably most) drivers are capable of yielding.  In fact, the vast majority of drivers are quite competent.  Sadly, it only takes 1 to blow through any intersection and wipe out a whole family worth of pedestrians.

The only solution is to somehow make it appear that traveling so fast through the intersection would be dangerous or difficult for the driver in question.  In fact, even better if the entire road appears difficult to drive fast on.  Wider lanes and more comfortable angles don't achieve this, in fact, they make the problem worse.
(03-19-2017, 09:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 07:04 PM)MidTowner Wrote: "But surely there is middle ground between full stop and not slowing down at all.  Quite frankly if some licensed drivers here are incapable of achieving that middle ground, then they really shouldn't qualify for a license."

Uhh, no, a driver's license is not a "right", in any sense of the word.  Not sure why you're implying with "protected" but the usual discrimination laws apply (a province couldn't decide to restrict licenses based on gender, or cultural identity) but they have no requirement to guarantee licensing to everyone.

We do have the right or freedom of travel, which is totally different.

You're right, most drivers do rolling stops here anyway.  Ironically, those same drivers freak out when cyclists do the same thing.  Regardless, I'm not sure of the right solution, redefining the word stop to mean yield, I don't think is a good solution, and this is the direction we're heading now.

However, WRT my sentence, it was in response to the idea that we needed to treat the traffic circles as "four way stops".  I agree that most (well, probably most) drivers are capable of yielding.  In fact, the vast majority of drivers are quite competent.  Sadly, it only takes 1 to blow through any intersection and wipe out a whole family worth of pedestrians.

The only solution is to somehow make it appear that traveling so fast through the intersection would be dangerous or difficult for the driver in question.  In fact, even better if the entire road appears difficult to drive fast on.  Wider lanes and more comfortable angles don't achieve this, in fact, they make the problem worse.

We could install corduroy roads.
I saw this picture on twitter and it seems apropos:

[Image: C7SLpVGXgAA7XCS.jpg][Image: C7SLpVGXgAA7XCS.jpg][Image: C7SLpVGXgAA7XCS.jpg][Image: t9sP9Ppl.jpg]
(03-19-2017, 02:09 PM)The85 Wrote: By the chunks out of the hydro poles around the roundabout at Margaret and Union (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4672537,-...312!8i6656 and https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.467255,-8...312!8i6656), it's clear some large vehicles have difficulty maneuvering this tighter roundabout.

The second looks like snowplow damage.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-19-2017, 06:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 05:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Or just treat it as a four-way stop, which would rather defeat the purpose even if it resulted in fewer casualties.

Depends on what the purpose is.  Fewer casualties is at least one of the purposes of putting in a roundabout.  

But surely there is middle ground between full stop and not slowing down at all.  Quite frankly if some licensed drivers here are incapable of achieving that middle ground, then they really shouldn't qualify for a license.

I agree entirely.  Imho, a significant number of drivers in the Region simply should not be behind the wheel of an automobile.
(03-20-2017, 08:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 06:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Quite frankly if some licensed drivers here are incapable of achieving that middle ground, then they really shouldn't qualify for a license.

I agree entirely.  Imho, a significant number of drivers in the Region simply should not be behind the wheel of an automobile.

Really we need better driver education and more stringent driver licensing.  In all of North America.

...and/or far stricter enforcement. Most of the stuff you see happen here would get your car impounded in Europe.
I think people exaggerate the badness of drivers (I'm as guilty as anyone else), but I agree there are some obvious changes necessary.

For example, I don't really understood the opposition to photo radar - ESPECIALLY in pedestrian heavy areas, school zones, and other low speed areas.  It seems like that would be pretty effective in controller drivers (or giving us enough information to remove the bad drivers from the road) w/o a lot of the downsides of things like speed bumps / super narrow roads / etc.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »