Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Unless one is suggesting that cab drivers are illiterate, I'm not sure how this is "message not getting through". It seems pretty clearly a decision to disregard the message, no?

Cab drivers have always picked up passengers at the bus depot.  When it was rebuilt the cabs had to park out front.  Now, with ION, there is no place to wait for fares.   What are drivers to do?  Every effort was made to keep access open to business during the ION construction but, it seems, no though was given to people who make a living driving cabs.   Hopefully the new depot at King and Victoria will solve that problem.
The King and Victoria hub will have a dedicated taxi rank, yes. I'm surprised no other space has been dedicated for them at Charles Street yet; it will still be a few years at least before the hub opens.
(01-15-2017, 01:16 PM)KevinL Wrote: The King and Victoria hub will have a dedicated taxi rank, yes. I'm surprised no other space has been dedicated for them at Charles Street yet; it will still be a few years at least before the hub opens.

I thought I saw something about the number of buses at Charles St. going down in the near future. Would it be possible to turn one of the bus platforms into a taxi stand?
(01-15-2017, 12:46 PM)jgsz Wrote: Cab drivers have always picked up passengers at the bus depot.  When it was rebuilt the cabs had to park out front.  Now, with ION, there is no place to wait for fares.   What are drivers to do?  Every effort was made to keep access open to business during the ION construction but, it seems, no though was given to people who make a living driving cabs.   Hopefully the new depot at King and Victoria will solve that problem.

I don't know the specifics and what options are available to cabs, but I don't think them just picking some laws to disregard is the solution.  But I get pretty annoyed with those professional drivers who believe that laws are optional for them.

Edit: And just to be clear, I don't have a problem with professional drivers that have special rules/privileges.  Because THAT's the way to deal with the fact that sometimes they need accommodations to do a function that is valuable.
(01-15-2017, 01:47 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 12:46 PM)jgsz Wrote: Cab drivers have always picked up passengers at the bus depot.  When it was rebuilt the cabs had to park out front.  Now, with ION, there is no place to wait for fares.   What are drivers to do?  Every effort was made to keep access open to business during the ION construction but, it seems, no though was given to people who make a living driving cabs.   Hopefully the new depot at King and Victoria will solve that problem.

I don't know the specifics and what options are available to cabs, but I don't think them just picking some laws to disregard is the solution.  But I get pretty annoyed with those professional drivers who believe that laws are optional for them.

Edit: And just to be clear, I don't have a problem with professional drivers that have special rules/privileges.  Because THAT's the way to deal with the fact that sometimes they need accommodations to do a function that is valuable.

I doubt anyone would suggest that it is the solution.  It is, however, something that people do (not just cab drivers) when they are sufficiently comfortable that they can get away with it.  Not a surprise, really.
Oh, I'm not surprised. Smile

(01-15-2017, 12:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Unless one is suggesting that cab drivers are illiterate, I'm not sure how this is "message not getting through".  It seems pretty clearly a decision to disregard the message, no?

I'm sorry. How should I have phrased this?
1/4 - Sunday, January 15, 2017

OCS/Catenary work on Caroline is complete.

That stagger tho

Willis Way platform.

Close up of the new digital signboard. 16-pixel vertical resolution. What are the two-line GRT ones?

Crossover work at KCI.
2/4 - Sunday, January 15, 2017

KCI Crossover cont'd

I think the concrete pouring work that was going on this past week was on the centre support and sidewalls for the bridge itself. This is evidenced by the heaters and ballooning tarps in those areas.

Future Waterloo Town Square station area.

Erb/Caroline.
3/4 - Sunday, January 15, 2017

Switch gear heaters have shown up at several of the stations along the Waterloo Spur.

These are to melt snow and ice from the points at the gauntlet track switches.

Without these, the electro-hydraulic switch actuator wouldn't be able to do it's job properly.

Seagram/Laurier/Waterloo Park station.

Erb/Caroline.
4/4 - Sunday, January 15, 2017

Erb/Caroline.

Erb/Caroline.

Erb/Caroline.

Interesting signage is now up at the passage way between the Spur Line Trail and King St. I wonder if Transport Canada was involved in getting some kind of waiver here? At any rate, as much of a safety-nut and rules/regulations kind of guy thatI am, I'm happy to see a very logical conclusion was reached, here.
Ardelt area (I think that was the Mark IV hiding in the tunnel):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Hayward area:

Courtland (is there really no sidewalk along the west side of Courtland between Hayward and Hillmount (Blockline station)?):

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »