Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
(12-15-2016, 10:00 AM)Canard Wrote: No, I've only touched the edge of Germany (Rust). Sad the accident at Emsland means a ride on the Transrapid is now out of the question. Sad But yes am quite familiar with the Schwebebahn! Another excellent video by my friend Luke:

That is really cool....  We would never be that brave here to try something different though....

That looks exactly like the implementation Brampton wants for their LRT. They want to avoid going anywhere near their downtown, so they want to route it through a naturalized creek.
Wasn't suggesting Wuppertal for RoW; but the Siemens systems I mentioned on the previous page would have been great.
I was lucky enough two weeks ago to have work ship me to Hawaiʻi for a week's conference-sort-of-thing. We were at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort and they had one of these:

Casual searching comes up with very little information other than "Swiss-made".

So: what are they? And was the fact that walking was often faster the fault of their system (pdf), their rotational switches, their operators, or the trams themselves?
It's a custom thing made by Schwager Davis. It used to be a Von Roll monorail from what I recall and then SD did a big overhaul on it. Similar system runs in Indianapolis at the Clarion Health Sciences centre.
Yeah; more here:

http://www.schwagerdavis.com/projectsnews/

http://www.schwagerdavis.com/project/haw...enovation/

As far as speed goes: you can thank the fact that it runs on sidewalks for that. See why I've got such a hard-on for putting these types of things up in the air? Wink
"runs on sidewalks" FWIW, it runs on a dedicated transitway that has at-grade pedestrian crossings. (If this is what you said, but more succinctly, then that's my bad.) I was disappointed that in the stretches between crossings they didn't kick it up a bit, but that seemed to also be where they put the ever-so-slowly-turning switches.

Ah well, there's a reason the staff call it the Hilton Walkalot Village.

Haha! I'm intrigued by your visit - Hawaii is on our list of places to visit, and I wanted to stay at that resort just to check out that system. Wink
(12-15-2016, 01:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Wasn't suggesting Wuppertal for RoW; but the Siemens systems I mentioned on the previous page would have been great.

Wuppertal is awesome. If I ever go anywhere near I’ll have to make a point of taking it. One thing I find interesting about it is that the bottom of vehicles I think are just smooth — how many other vehicles are like that? Maybe not any — not even aircraft!
It's appropriate we're discussing Wuppertal - since on Sunday, they put into service the first 5 of their brand-new trains:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/eur...hannel=537

[Image: aussenansicht-vorne-buero_staubach-653x408.jpg]

Stadler is building 31 new trains for them.

It's pretty cool seeing such futuristic new vehicles on 100+ year old infra. I hate the term - but it's maybe a little "steampunk", even. Smile
What's the downside of this "upside-down monorail" as compared to the usual monorail? The rail is obviously higher but that also makes it less visually obtrusive in my eyes.
Wuppertal's structure is massive and is a result of the technology available at the time.

The Siemens systems in Dortmund and Düsseldorf (see previous page) are much more elegant structure-wise.

It's 6-of-one... I like straddle beam monorails more but I couldn't tell you why. Personal preference. The guideway is a little less obtrusive if the train sits on top since the supports don't have to "reach over".
A nice little video about the first day of service with the new trains:

It's kind of crazy to watch that, and then compare that to this:

[Image: schwebebahn128~_v-gseapremiumxl.jpg]

...knowing it's the same system?!

Yes! You get the same feeling from a lot of the older Tokyo railway bridges (Yamanote sen!) that were built more than 100 years ago.
London has some of that, too! I remember getting off at Baker Street, stepping out of a shiny new train into a station that is older than Canada!

A lot of the Docklands Light Railway stuff is built onto hundred year old stone structures, too - so you have this cool automated train running across stone bridges and stuff.

I am all about new and brutalist (Westminster is heaven!), but I was pretty smitten with that - the whole Underground, overall. That constant tug between old and new.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »