Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-27-2016, 12:47 PM)Markster Wrote:
(09-25-2016, 09:20 PM)Canard Wrote: Is this snark?

Whoah, what are you quoting?  I never said that.

(09-27-2016, 02:16 PM)boatracer Wrote: I guess I don't know how rail systems are intended to operate but what is the purpose of the switchover point.  Obviously I understand it is to move trains from one track to the other but what is the purpose of that during regular operation?

It's to permit an LRV to change direction. You might want to do this if you want to return a train back to "home base" (the OMSF) if there's a mechanical problem, or if there's a blockage (accident) on the line somewhere further up. Otherwise you're stuck.
(09-27-2016, 02:21 PM)Canard Wrote: Whoah, what are you quoting?  I never said that.

Sad
Sorry for the confusion. I was actually quoting someone else, but I had to clear out some accidental multi-quote any it got attributed to you. And... it seems the thing I quoted is deleted now, so it's extra confusing.

I think I'll just delete my post altogether.
(09-27-2016, 02:23 PM)Canard Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 02:16 PM)boatracer Wrote: I guess I don't know how rail systems are intended to operate but what is the purpose of the switchover point.  Obviously I understand it is to move trains from one track to the other but what is the purpose of that during regular operation?

It's to permit an LRV to change direction.  You might want to do this if you want to return a train back to "home base" (the OMSF) if there's a mechanical problem, or if there's a blockage (accident) on the line somewhere further up.  Otherwise you're stuck.

That's what I had initially thought.  Thanks for the information.  I haven't looked at the plans but I assume there are switchover points on the ends (Conestoga and Fairview Malls) to head back in the other direction.
Some downtown Kitchener streets to reopen in time for Oktoberfest parade

Intersections reopening and resurface work done just in time for Oktoberfest Parade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3780861
Where are the crossovers? I had hoped, perhaps naively, that they could have been positioned close enough so as to allow for trains to get around issues (especially in the split route areas) by taking turns on the open rail, but that only works with sufficient crossovers.
One is at the south end of Waterloo park, one just south of Grand River hospital, and one by Cameron heights (in addition to the ones at the ends of the line).

(09-27-2016, 03:40 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Where are the crossovers? I had hoped, perhaps naively, that they could have been positioned close enough so as to allow for trains to get around issues (especially in the split route areas) by taking turns on the open rail, but that only works with sufficient crossovers.

There is another one at Perimeter Institute.
bpoland has identified them all. Note that the ones at the terminals are double (full) crossovers.
So, in reality, not at all practical for sharing a line when one of NB/SB is out of commission for some reason.
(09-27-2016, 04:55 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: So, in reality, not at all practical for sharing a line when one of NB/SB is out of commission for some reason.

I expect that such an event would be exceptionally rare.
(09-27-2016, 04:55 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: So, in reality, not at all practical for sharing a line when one of NB/SB is out of commission for some reason.

Correct.

And similarly, there will be no two-way usage of tracks in the one-way loop areas.
It's tough to see them getting legal signoff to do wrong-way service on the tracks. Certainly not without full bidirectional signage and signalling. That's an expense which is hard to justify when we're talking about something that would be used only in exceptional circumstances. Instead, we're probably just going to see replacement bus service in the event of critical issues.

Other dashed dreams:
Allowing the one-way loop sections in the downtowns to actually work as loops.
(09-27-2016, 05:00 PM)timc Wrote:

I expect that such an event would be exceptionally rare.

It would perhaps have been nice to be able to reroute the train off King St. in uptown for regular festivals.  I mean, not that it's necessary, because pedestrians and LRTs can co-exist, but in that it seems like we're unwilling to give that a try.  But time will tell I suppose, maybe we're simply forcing the issue here.

(09-27-2016, 05:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It would perhaps have been nice to be able to reroute the train off King St. in uptown for regular festivals.  I mean, not that it's necessary, because pedestrians and LRTs can co-exist, but in that it seems like we're unwilling to give that a try.  But time will tell I suppose, maybe we're simply forcing the issue here.

Ah, now that would be interesting. If there was signalling for it, then you could have bidirectional service between GRH and the Perimeter Institute. It's probably not really worth the expense though.

On a related note: does Waterloo still plan to have Open Streets with ION running through it?
Sod going in along King between Allen and William:

Another unfortunate utility box that should have been 0.5m to the west (right):

That no stopping sign that was right in front of the new KCI signage has disappeared:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »