Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Sad Sad to hear that, Pheidippides, but I suppose it's for the best.

New PIC about station area planing:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Midtown &amp; Rockway <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> transit stops: two public information meetings Sept 29, 6:45 pm <a href="https://t.co/MNdQ249WhG">https://t.co/MNdQ249WhG</a></p>&mdash; SPCKW (@SPCofKW) <a href="https://twitter.com/SPCofKW/status/776144430231347201">September 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

[attachment=2249 Wrote:Canard pid='26615' dateline='1473856743']Where are you guys finding best access to take photos and get these updates?

I sometimes pop up along King next to the Kaufman lofts, or go into the lot at Google at Charles/Victoria, but I'd love to get closer if there's a "legal" area to do so.

I like the view from my office at 305 King.

Last patches of dirt on king from William to union were getting a final regrade and roll/compaction this afternoon; would not be surprised if they are paved in the next day or two.

The rideion.ca traffic updates list is currently showing upcoming closures at king at William closing on or about September 21 until late November and Bearinger closing at the tracks closing September 20 for about one week.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-14-2016, 04:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The rideion.ca traffic updates list is currently showing upcoming closures at king at William closing on or about September 21 until late November and Bearinger closing at the tracks closing September 20 for about one week.

What could they be doing at Bearinger that needs a week's closure at the tracks?
I walked up and down Charles multiple times a week every week last summer, but haven't had the opportunity to do that this year. Just walked around the Market Station area and wow, I'm very impressed. It's so great seeing what this area will look like in an essentially finished state, now with the middle concrete done and the grass in the boulevards. It's not anywhere near as drab as I was expecting with all that concrete. It's actually really pretty!

Also quite impressed by the Benton / Charles intersection. All the poles and final lights are all up (though not yet on), and it looks very organized and not like the complete chaos I was expecting it to! 

(09-14-2016, 05:46 PM)c hutten Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 04:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The rideion.ca traffic updates list is currently showing upcoming closures at king at William closing on or about September 21 until late November and Bearinger closing at the tracks closing September 20 for about one week.

What could they be doing at Bearinger that needs a week's closure at the tracks?

Probably the same thing that required week-long closures at Columbia and at Seagram. Whatever that may be.
(09-14-2016, 05:46 PM)chutten Wrote:

The On-Track Safety guy says he can't tell us! Wink

Coke
I suspect more tamping - and if that's the case, that's kind of scary that it keeps shifting and needing constant tweaking. I wonder if it's just a burn-in thing, until the temperature and rail positions stabilize over a full season of temperature swings.

It seems like they haven't gone back to any intersection more than once after "completing" it. There was probably the initial tamping, and then the expectation that it might shift a bit after the first few months of use (freight). Now they're probably doing the final tamping. Like when they do the second coat of asphalt one a newly paved road after a year.
A few more pieces got delivered to the Cameron crossover, including these flange-intersection bits (don't know the proper name, sorry).

[Image: zL0yS8C.jpg]
Some pictures to accompany my post earlier!

King / Vic looking great! I figure they'll probably get this one completely  done before reopening - sidewalks and all.
[Image: H2QjRll.jpg]

Loving the graded slope next to where the Northbound station will go here. Catpole bases had also just been poured!
[Image: kMzJsZ1.jpg]

All the poles and lights in at Benton / Charles, just waiting to be turned on. Very neat looking. Will probably get a bit messier once catenary is strung. Nice to see the sidewalk on the corner with the church has finally been poured, as well!
[Image: ow3lYvB.jpg]
[Image: HtFMeud.jpg]

Market Station area, very nice with all the grass in here. I can picture some nice, tall glass buildings going up here at some point in the future, on the corner.
[Image: ttcPT8l.jpg]

One thing I noticed at Queen / Charles - the sidewalks are very tight here, on the Northwest side. They are a reduced width and radius, because of having to fit around the 2 older buildings here, PLUS, there's traffic poles (the permanent ones) sticking out. People walking can get by if walking single file, but there's not a chance a wheelchair or mobility scooter would fit. Not sure what could be done about this.
(09-14-2016, 10:26 PM)GtwoK Wrote: One thing I noticed at Queen / Charles - the sidewalks are very tight here, on the Northwest side. They are a reduced width and radius, because of having to fit around the 2 older buildings here, PLUS, there's traffic poles (the permanent ones) sticking out. People walking can get by if walking single file, but there's not a chance a wheelchair or mobility scooter would fit. Not sure what could be done about this.

You can see it all on streetview, I walk by there often and the only thing I can think of would be to bolt the pedestrian signals to the building and use the poles on the other corners with longer arms hang two traffic signals off of.
(09-14-2016, 10:26 PM)GtwoK Wrote: One thing I noticed at Queen / Charles - the sidewalks are very tight here, on the Northwest side. They are a reduced width and radius, because of having to fit around the 2 older buildings here, PLUS, there's traffic poles (the permanent ones) sticking out. People walking can get by if walking single file, but there's not a chance a wheelchair or mobility scooter would fit. Not sure what could be done about this.

Basically, they needed to leave the corner alone. They stole some of the sidewalk to make a turn radius. It used to be pretty close to square.
(09-14-2016, 10:26 PM)GtwoK Wrote: All the poles and lights in at Benton / Charles, just waiting to be turned on. Very neat looking. Will probably get a bit messier once catenary is strung. Nice to see the sidewalk on the corner with the church has finally been poured, as well!

(...)

One thing I noticed at Queen / Charles - the sidewalks are very tight here, on the Northwest side. They are a reduced width and radius, because of having to fit around the 2 older buildings here, PLUS, there's traffic poles (the permanent ones) sticking out. People walking can get by if walking single file, but there's not a chance a wheelchair or mobility scooter would fit. Not sure what could be done about this.

Benton/Charles will get a bit messier with the catenary, but on the other hand the temporary traffic light cables will go away, so I think it'll be no worse, hopefully actually better.

The sidewalks at Queen/Charles were always tight.  They may be a little bit more so now, but on the upside they've been reconstructed and should be much less hazardous.  (Ditto for the stairs a little bit further down Charles.)

(09-14-2016, 09:51 PM)KevinL Wrote: A few more pieces got delivered to the Cameron crossover, including these flange-intersection bits (don't know the proper name, sorry).

[Image: zL0yS8C.jpg]

Frogs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_s...rossing.29
Duke / Water closing down next Wednesday. That'll be fun. With Victoria set to open up within 2 weeks, could they not have just waited until then before closing the detour of the detour in order to create another detour?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »