Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
By chance does anyone know if ION will be getting road paint similar to the Gold Coast LRT? https://www.google.ca/maps/@-28.0058242,...6656?hl=en

I don't believe so Sad  I've been posting G:Link photos for years as an example of "how it should be done"!  Love G:Link.  Many of the same system partners that built that system are the same ones here (they even called their consortium "GoldLinq"!).

There are only a couple of places on the Functional Design Plans that indicate that there is some kind of textured demarcation to be installed "By the Project Co." - one of those locations, off the top of my head, is the transition segment right around King/Wellington.

Edit - here ya go:

King at Allen:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
King is now open up to the Francis intersection, giving three directions full movement at that intersection.

In seeing this intersection, I'm noticing bad habits already. Drivers coming northwest along King will use the furthest point of the crosswalk as their stop line, completely blocking pedestrians. Drivers coming southeast on Francis using the furthest point of the rails (!!!) as their stop line, with the actual stop line about half a car length back of the start of the embedded track.

The first incidents of collisions won't necessarily involve the trains, and those that do will be blatantly obvious.
Lots of activity around future Queen station this morning, but forms are still not at the pourable stage.

The Benton side of the work zone is now getting under way; a big front-end loader was tearing up the asphalt. A small strip remains between fences as a pedestrian path, about where the King crosswalk had been.
I'm going to be on 570News today!
Sometime around 12:30, I'll be taking about the LRT pedestrian crossing issue in the Traynor-Vanier neighbourhood.
I wrote a post describing the issue in detail. I don't know if anyone had linked it here yet?

Here's an overview of the existing crossings in that neighbourhood that are being fenced off.
[Image: hydro-corridor-paths-insets.jpg]

While there is political movement on the issue now, I still recommend that people sign the petition, to underscore the point that a crossing here is very reasonable and necessary.

You can listen here: http://player.570news.com/
(08-23-2016, 04:36 PM)timio Wrote: My eyes may have been tricking me, but I believe I saw a signal gantry on a flatbed at the crossing at Seagram today. I was driving on University at the time, so I could be very wrong about this.

Can anyone confirm?

Confirmed: "@tomjgalloway14: Maas Electric Canada lifting overhead wigway assembly into place at @rideIONrt Seagram crossing #wrLRT https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...12/photo/1"

(08-24-2016, 10:42 AM)KevinL Wrote: Lots of activity around future Queen station this morning, but forms are still not at the pourable stage.

The Benton side of the work zone is now getting under way; a big front-end loader was tearing up the asphalt. A small strip remains between fences as a pedestrian path, about where the King crosswalk had been.

Concrete now poured between the track and the curbs in front of Full Circle.  It looks like they can finally install new concrete and ashphalt for Full Circles's driveway and parking lot.

(08-24-2016, 08:59 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: King is now open up to the Francis intersection, giving three directions full movement at that intersection.

In seeing this intersection, I'm noticing bad habits already. Drivers coming northwest along King will use the furthest point of the crosswalk as their stop line, completely blocking pedestrians. Drivers coming southeast on Francis using the furthest point of the rails (!!!) as their stop line, with the actual stop line about half a car length back of the start of the embedded track.

The first incidents of collisions won't necessarily involve the trains, and those that do will be blatantly obvious.

I assume there are no lane markings painted yet to guide the drivers, right?
Francis has all lane markings, there are none on King (which doesn't have left turns as Francis does). So the best excuse a King driver stopped on the crosswalk would have is "I didn't know the rules of the road, wherein in absence of a stop sign, I am required by law to stop at the near edge of any crosswalk."
Well done on the radio, Mark!
And with little fanfare, Charles reopened to two-way traffic today! The lights aren't activated, but it's drivable!
Here's the link to the show, but the audio isn't uploaded yet: http://www.570news.com/2016/08/24/wednes...2016-12pm/

When you say "Charles", which section? Assume you mean somewhere around the transit terminal? It's been open for a long time now past Benton.
I've been trying to find the site plan of the proposed transit plaza adjacent to the UW station... could anyone post it or link to it please? thanks!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »