Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-09-2016, 12:10 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: Walked by the freight rail crossing King in Uptown tonight and looks like it's connected to the northbound ION line now!

It is!

They were running that rail-bound machine that chuffs up a lot of dust behind the train station this morning. I'm thinking it's evening out the ballast? They also had some other dragon just hanging out near the (currently-closed) rail crossing in the parking lot.

(08-08-2016, 05:30 PM)Canard Wrote: Very fascinated by the stop work under the grade sep. It's so hard to see what's going on there, especially since the connection path in front of Google is now closed.

It's open again.
Some activity again this morning on the eastern part of Charles.  No sign of anything happening on Ottawa ahead of next week's scheduled opening, though.

Preparing the track for concrete just W of Stirling

More preparation a little bit W of Borden, just E of the station

The pavement has now been cut across Borden, to allow for track to be laid and the concrete to be poured

I noticed these wayfinding sign examples in the GRT presentation at council today with a different symbol (sorry last second screen grab):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That's close, but not the final design.
I appreciate this, and hope that some fines were given. Whatever they may be for.

[Image: bTrFcnK.jpg]
Tweet that out to the local media, please. Closed means closed!

At first, I thought the car was in the one open quadrant of the intersection - but now I realize they were trying to cross over the canyon for the Northbound track.

Speaking of dumb, in Uptown yesterday, I watched, in fear, as a woman lifted up some caution tape, move a fence out of the way, then nearly fall about 20 times as she tried to cross the work site from the pizza/yogurt place to the public square passing about 1m behind the Mark IV machine that was hard at work aligning the new track crossing at king. She then get irritated when a very patient and extreme concerned worker tried to direct her out of the site safely.

The workers were having a really hard time keeping people from crossing the tracks yesterday along the town square parking lot between King and Caroline, but were always exceptionally patient when dealing with any attempting to shortcut the current pedestrian detour (currently the two options are either Caroline or Regina, everything else is closed).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I think we've pretty much established that the general public have very little respect or understanding for worksite safety. I'm amazed nobody has been injured or killed yet.
More things happening today on Charles and Ottawa!

Getting the last bit of embedded track ready for concrete at the Charles/Stirling intersection:

Only one section of the EB curve left to pour at the Charles/Borden intersection:

Curbing machine was here yesterday!  E side of Ottawa now has curbs between Charles and (I think) Courtland:

And the bridge mystery is solved -- it will be a sidewalk (sorry, I was wrong in my earlier predictions), and the track will be next to it.  (On the other side the sidewalk width is being cut back a bit due to the limited width of the bridge.)

Marker posts in place on N side of Ottawa for the curbing machine:

In the second photo, is that a pedestrian and bicycle bridge?
(08-10-2016, 09:55 AM)jgsz Wrote: In the second photo, is that a pedestrian and bicycle bridge?

Pedestrian for sure.  It's a bit narrow for bicycles but might be OK if there are no pedestrians at that moment.  No signage of any kind.
Road closed?  No, surely not, doesn't apply to me, I can just blast through here at full speed ...

... or maybe not.  

Seriously, how dense are these people?

Send photos to Paige Desmond at The Record and suggest she run a piece on construction site safety. Sounds like there's more than enough "meat" for an article here. But I do kind of dislike how these observations are cluttering up and detracting from the conversation about Light Rail proper. Maybe a separate thread for "caughtcha"-type stories and photos, if we must post every time someone cuts through a fence?
(08-10-2016, 11:45 AM)BrianT Wrote:
(08-10-2016, 11:41 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Road closed?  No, surely not, doesn't apply to me, I can just blast through here at full speed ...

... or maybe not.  

Seriously, how dense are these people?

I've noticed that there are no shortages of dense people. Some even come back later. Confused

I don't think its being dense, surely these people know they aren't supposed to be there.  I suspect most of these people know its closed, but either object to the LRT specifically, or to the whole idea of their "freedom" being limited, and thus feel entitled to ignore the rules.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »