Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
You know me surprisingly well, Kevin. Blush

It would have been, yes - but, I didn't realize I had water droplets on the lens of my camera, so my footage was unusable. Will have to try again on a nicer day.

Great videos Canard. It's also nice seeing you greet and praise the workers
The framing shop in Uptown is selling framed pieces of the corduroy rode for $500.
(07-10-2016, 07:59 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The framing shop in Uptown is selling framed pieces of the corduroy rode for $500.

LOL the ones that were given away at the dump?
(07-10-2016, 09:39 PM)clasher Wrote:
(07-10-2016, 07:59 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The framing shop in Uptown is selling framed pieces of the corduroy rode for $500.

LOL the ones that were given away at the dump?

Supply and demand.
You're welcome to try to go to the dump for a free one now. Smile
Went for a 30+ km bike ride along Toronto's waterfront on Sunday, which has the added bonus that for part of the trail, you get to ride right alongside the 509/Harbourfront streetcar line, with streetcars zipping by!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In Toronto for a bike ride alongside some nice <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FLEXITY?src=hash">#FLEXITY</a> LRV's. This is a good trail. Smile <a href="https://t.co/A7o14mVoLU">pic.twitter.com/A7o14mVoLU</a></p>&mdash; iain (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/752206787617566721">July 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

One of the things I don't think I've brought up yet is just how fantastic the external annunciation system is on the new FLEXITY trams.  I'm so excited about this for ion.  Our trains will have the same vocalizer (or so I'm told), and the clarity and volume with which the line stops are announced gave me goosebumps every time I rode by one and heard her speaking.  Chills, even!

I know it sounds a bit silly, but one of my absolute favourite things about trains is the noises they make. Whether it's mechanical, or chimes or automated announcements or whatever. My mind was completely blown when I was in Japan (I knew it would be, and was trying to be prepared for it, but I couldn't help but almost tear up every time I heard the little 7-note JR chime before every platform announcement). So I have a lot of anxiety about ion "getting this right" with regard to what kind of voice they pick or what kind of chimes are chosen (it'll be the same as the Toronto FLEXITY LRV's - I'm OK with that).

I'm still shaking my head that the original bits were not offered up for a modest price/donation - it could have been a terrific fundraiser for the Waterloo Museum and the Region of Waterloo History Museum.

(07-11-2016, 08:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm still shaking my head that the original bits were not offered up for a modest price/donation - it could have been a terrific fundraiser for the Waterloo Museum and the Region of Waterloo History Museum.

I suspect they simply did not anticipate the demand for it.  Otherwise, in addition to the points you make, it would have been a good way to moderate demand.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for freely giving people access to a piece of our heritage.  That being said "free" is a bit of a loaded term, you still needed a car, and time in the morning to sit in line for ages
The Ottawa St / Mill and Hayward closures have been extended by 3 months - now reopening Nov 30th Sad

On the plus side - check out what's gone up along Charles Smile

[Image: Gf0EBNZ.jpg]

Also, street lights were going in at Francis / King as I walked passed them just now.
Yeah! Poles were up on the weekend, including under the Manulife building (it's so cute!). I was wondering how they'd do that - direct afixment to the building, or just standard poles. They went with the latter. They must have decided they had enough headroom to do that, which is simpler.
(07-11-2016, 02:49 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The Ottawa St / Mill and Hayward closures have been extended by 3 months - now reopening Nov 30th Sad

Not a huge surprise given that there is only rough grading there at the moment, lots of work remaining to be done.
Weber, Dutton to Albert is closed for the next 3 weeks - presumably for utility work related to the OSMF.

I am guessing the Hayward and Mill/Ottawa delay is CN related - they only just recently brought in their equipment and are working on the new freight line.
(07-11-2016, 09:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I am guessing the Hayward and Mill/Ottawa delay is CN related

This does not surprise me.  Dodgy

Hayward is only delayed 1 month, was suppose to open Nov 7th. This from City of Kitchener Road closures, HAYWARD AVE HANSON AVE TO COURTLAND AVE E ION Construction Work
Tentative: Nov 7, 2016
LENNOX LEWIS WAY TO BLOCK LINE RD
Friday's update gives the official notice for the Frederick construction start. Late July through October for Frederick/King (labelled as Duke/King in the update) and late July through November for Frederick/Duke.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »