Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toronto transit projects
That would be the first extension of the TTC outside the (current) City of Toronto, would it not?

(06-02-2016, 01:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That would be the first extension of the TTC outside the (current) City of Toronto, would it not?

The Spadina extension currently under construction is actually the first, going up to Highway 7 near Jane in Vaughan.
Right, thanks!
(06-02-2016, 09:26 AM)chutten Wrote: Someone in the Toronto office today asked where Bessarion station was, and one of the quicker wits replied "Maybe you need to find the Bessarion in yourself, first"

I asked for clarification and received only this:

Thanks for sharing this video! It made me smile.  Big Grin Lots
Aww, H6's Sad  I miss you!

"I see a Canadian Tire, and some random highway." - That is such a typical "I live in Toronto, the centre of the earth, and never leave" comment.  Hi, that's 401, the busiest highway in like the WHOLE WORLD! I once went for a date with a guy from Toronto and I told him I lived about "an hour west on 401". When he said "What's 401?" I knew it was never going to work out. UGH

The Sheppard Line is a weird one, for sure.  I remember going on opening day with my dad when I was a kid, I think I took the day off school actually to do it.  Each of the stations has some unique art feature to them.  Leslie is awful.  Bayview is kind of nice.

Cute film!
If you ever see him again tell him it's the big narrow parking lot north of Yorkdale. He must know where Yorkdale is.
Metrolinx threatens Bombardier with legal action over light rail vehicles
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6774...-vehicles/
"...Metrolinx issued a notice of default to Bombardier last week that claims the Quebec-based rail manufacturer is in breach of contract..."
"...Bombardier is now 21 months behind schedule..."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(07-19-2016, 08:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Metrolinx threatens Bombardier with legal action over light rail vehicles
"...Metrolinx issued a notice of default to Bombardier last week that claims the Quebec-based rail manufacturer is in breach of contract..."

I insist, some holes out of alignment do not set you back 21 months. There is more to this delay than Bombardier is admitting to.
(07-19-2016, 10:55 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 08:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Metrolinx threatens Bombardier with legal action over light rail vehicles

I insist, some holes out of alignment do not set you back 21 months. There is more to this delay than Bombardier is admitting to.

It’s been obvious for a long time that Bombardier is … not being entirely straightforward (polite phrase substituted) … about the problems. If I remember correctly, first it was shoddy manufacturing from their Mexican plant. Then some sort of wiring problem. Now they’re getting things going at a different plant. Who knows what is really going on.
The streetcar tracks at College and Bathurst were replaced over the course of about 4 weeks earlier this summer - and the TTC filmed a time lapse!

(08-06-2016, 06:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: The streetcar tracks at College and Bathurst were replaced over the course of about 4 weeks earlier this summer - and the TTC filmed a time lapse!

Ha, one of the first streetcars to go back over is a PCC:

(08-06-2016, 06:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: The streetcar tracks at College and Bathurst were replaced over the course of about 4 weeks earlier this summer - and the TTC filmed a time lapse!

Cool video.  It's interesting, they seemed to lift into place completed sections of track, as opposed to what I see them do here were they assemble track in place.  Was that simply because it was a switching section of track?

Also, I assume that was a repair/refurbishment of the previous track, do you know what exactly wears out about the track?  Is it the profile of the metal track?  The concrete its embedded in?  Or was it just the switches?  I assume we will eventually have to do similar work on our tracks, but how long do they typically last?
(07-20-2016, 06:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 10:55 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I insist, some holes out of alignment do not set you back 21 months. There is more to this delay than Bombardier is admitting to.

It’s been obvious for a long time that Bombardier is … not being entirely straightforward (polite phrase substituted) … about the problems. If I remember correctly, first it was shoddy manufacturing from their Mexican plant. Then some sort of wiring problem. Now they’re getting things going at a different plant. Who knows what is really going on.

Here is the most likely reason why nothing gets done. An example of dual shares Class A and Class B ownership where the owners of the Class A shares care only about their own positions.

Bombardier loses $490M, but has turned corner, CEO says

Personally, I think their CEO and Executive Committee are a lot of P.T. Barnum Circus promotions ... time for new senior management IMO

(08-07-2016, 01:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Also, I assume that was a repair/refurbishment of the previous track, do you know what exactly wears out about the track?  Is it the profile of the metal track?  The concrete its embedded in?  Or was it just the switches?  I assume we will eventually have to do similar work on our tracks, but how long do they typically last?

Likely a combination of all of the above.  Materials don't last forever.  Vehicle wheels wear out due to friction (just as car tires are replaced).  Tracks wear out due to the same friction, particularly on corners.  Add in a mixture of freeze-thaw cycles, water and road salt and it needs to be replaced.

The Ion agreement includes a refurbishment at the end of the agreement so we'll inherit a slightly used system as opposed to either a brand new system or a worn out system.
(08-12-2016, 12:26 PM)nms Wrote: The Ion agreement includes a refurbishment at the end of the agreement so we'll inherit a slightly used system as opposed to either a brand new system or a worn out system.

Cool, that's news to me!  I assume that's buried away somewhere in the Project Agreement?

I'd wondered about this - with the lifespan of embedded track being somewhere around 20-30 years.  I bit my tongue on bringing that up!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »