Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-12-2016, 01:18 AM)GtwoK Wrote: That's supposed to open on Monday?

Just to be clear they aren't putting track through at this time, they are just finishing the utility work. I suspect after Caroline/Erb is done they will move back here to put the track through.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(05-12-2016, 02:22 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 01:18 AM)GtwoK Wrote: That's supposed to open on Monday?

Just to be clear they aren't putting track through at this time, they are just finishing the utility work. I suspect after Caroline/Erb is done they will move back here to put the track through.

Oh no, I realize trackwork isn't being done just yet. Even still, with only 3 days to go, it didn't seem like they'd be able to finish utilities (I spy a pipe sticking out of the ground), tamper all the ground, pour all the curbs, wait for them to dry, and pour all the asphalt.
They might be doing temporary asphalt curbs.
(05-11-2016, 08:14 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Looks like the demolition permit for 910 King St W, Kitchener has been issued and there is a Sittler demolition sign on the building now.

I think another TPSS is to go here?

It would be an unfortunate loss of a building just to put a big grey box there.  Maybe someday there will be nicer shell put over top of it?

At one point in time, these kind of infrastructure pieces were designed to blend into their surroundings.
In funding news, how quickly things can change...

In 2014, the Townships were told that they would not be paying for the LRT despite the benefits of protecting farmland in the townships.  Three out of the four Township Mayors voted in favour of the project.  North Dumfries Mayor Rob Deutchmann abstained due to a conflict.

Now, barely two years later, and after some tweaks to provincial funding rules, the townships could end up paying for the LRT and transit anyway.

While I support the removal of area-rated transit levies which I hope will streamline improved transit service across the Region, I wonder if the Township Mayors would have voted differently in 2014 if they had to tell their constituents that they were going to be paying for the LRT (and other transit too)? The vote would likely have still passed, but by a much narrower margin of 8-7.
(05-13-2016, 10:51 AM)nms Wrote:
(05-11-2016, 08:14 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Looks like the demolition permit for 910 King St W, Kitchener has been issued and there is a Sittler demolition sign on the building now.

I think another TPSS is to go here?

It would be an unfortunate loss of a building just to put a big grey box there.  Maybe someday there will be nicer shell put over top of it?

At one point in time, these kind of infrastructure pieces were designed to blend into their surroundings.

I don't think 910 itself is a big loss, but putting the box right next to the beautifully restored 914 King W seems perverse.  Perhaps they'll place it far enough back on the lot that a landscaped parkette can be put at the street to soften things a bit?  I wonder why it couldn't have been placed in the hospital parking lot across the street?
I don't see why they can't just build some sort of facade, like with what they do to subway vents in new york I believe

Because money.
(05-13-2016, 11:59 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I don't see why they can't just build some sort of facade, like with what they do to subway vents in new york I believe

It would be called for here, I think. It's a pretty visible location, right across from the hospital and on a part of King where a a friendlier street could evolve. I don't understand why a building has to be demolished to accommodate the box...closer to the station are several surface parking lots. It doesn't make sense to me to use King Street frontage on a box when it could have been on Pine or Mary- or even off of those- and be not much further.
[Image: 13116256_10154203495922959_8114430732894166534_o.jpg]

Great photo!

Good news from the latest Ion update! Corduroy road numero deux has already completed its investigation by the Ministry, and can now be excavated. That was fast!

The 2-way section of Erb has been approved, and will be implemented when the intersection of Caroline / Erb shuts down. Erb between Westmount and Caroline will be restricted down to one lane each direction, to limit traffic.

Track work, as well as the pouring of sidewalks, starts on Allen beginning Monday

The wooden light poles we've seen in uptown ARE temporary, just in case that was never confirmed.

Duke closes at the railway tracks in a few weeks, for 1 week. They're starting a shuttle service for pedestrians to navigate this >1km long detour, thank god. The shuttle will run every 30 minutes from 6am to 6pm

Queen / Charles getting paved in early June, underground work is now complete here, apart from recommissioning everything.

Track work is NOT being done at Duke / Water during this closure (not surprised), but underground work is now complete.

Charles / Cameron closing on Tuesday for a month. Tracks being laid, I'm assuming? Haven't been down there in a while.

Borden / Charles currently getting curbs, to be paved in a few weeks.

Borden itself, being the first road to get tracks, is undergoing finishing touches, including landscaping? Is sod being laid here, has anyone seen?

Huge update today! Thanks, warm weather!
The Duke shuttle is cute. I'm curious to see how that works out.

Erb going bi was a no brainer, I'm glad red tape and silly rules didn't get in the way of that happening.

Also:

Quote:Construction of the Victoria Park LRT stop will begin in late-May

I wonder what they mean. It looks like all the other platforms - are they implying that in a few weeks, they'll start kitting out the platform with the mosaic wall and roof, etc?!

I watched a GRT bus stop halfway through the Erb/Caroline intersection, 4-ways on... At first, I thought it broke down, and then I realized it was stopping because of the angled tracks. That's hilarious.
I think when they say Victoria Park stop, they are referring to the Queen stop, though I'm not sure why the misnaming
(05-13-2016, 05:08 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Duke closes at the railway tracks in a few weeks, for 1 week. They're starting a shuttle service for pedestrians to navigate this >1km long detour, thank god. The shuttle will run every 30 minutes from 6am to 6pm

Where do you read this? It's not currently listed on either the Grandlinq traffic closures or the Kitchener traffic closures.

(05-13-2016, 07:51 PM)kps Wrote:
(05-13-2016, 05:08 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Duke closes at the railway tracks in a few weeks, for 1 week. They're starting a shuttle service for pedestrians to navigate this >1km long detour, thank god. The shuttle will run every 30 minutes from 6am to 6pm

Where do you read this? It's not currently listed on either the Grandlinq traffic closures or the Kitchener traffic closures.

They emailed an update this afternoon to anyone who's on the mailing list.
I like writing out highlights of the update into this thread, it makes me feel productive Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »