Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Work at King & Union

(05-06-2016, 03:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: To think, Waterloo facing the kind of construction problems you would expect from Rome, Athens or Cairo. Wink

Well, it's no plague pit, but it does keep us hopping.
(05-06-2016, 12:25 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: It is also possible that the previous road work did not go deep enough to uncover the corduroy road

Yeah, last time they barely dug a foot.

[Image: p000631_300dpi.jpg]
(05-06-2016, 04:31 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Work at King & Union

Wow. It may be ready to open next week.
(05-06-2016, 04:31 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Work at King & Union

Woah! That was fast! They don't even have curbs in yet!
(05-06-2016, 02:43 PM)timc Wrote: I'll just take this opportunity to point out that if we had built an overhead monorail, the corduroy road(s) could stay right where they are, and we would be blissfully unaware. I know what Canard is thinking.  Big Grin

I am thinking that I agree wholeheartedly with you!

[Image: ydaez4dco6f9b5xlnjfp.jpg]
Bombardier INNOVIA 300 Monorail, designed and built in Kingston (Millhaven), Ontario.
(05-06-2016, 08:48 PM)Canard Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 02:43 PM)timc Wrote: I'll just take this opportunity to point out that if we had built an overhead monorail, the corduroy road(s) could stay right where they are, and we would be blissfully unaware. I know what Canard is thinking.  Big Grin

I am thinking that I agree wholeheartedly with you!

[Image: ydaez4dco6f9b5xlnjfp.jpg]
Bombardier INNOVIA 300 Monorail, designed and built in Kingston (Millhaven), Ontario.

Simple solution might be just to write off the work done to date and slap up the monorail. Could we still make the target launch date?

(05-06-2016, 09:55 PM)eizenstriet Wrote: Simple solution might be just to write off the work done to date and slap up the monorail. Could we still make the target launch date?

Yeah, but the trains will still be late.
(05-06-2016, 11:31 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Not sure if this is the correct thread, but the remnants from the corduroy road were made available to the public this morning beginning at 7AM. Each person was allowed one 2 foot segment. My wife and FIL were there at 5:45AM ahead of the 7AM open (god bless them), but were still 20th in line! 200 pieces in total were available.

Now to figure out how to preserve the wood and what to do with it...

They should have sold the segments for $10 dollars a pop and donated the proceeds to the Waterloo Museum and the Region of Waterloo Museum.
So much work along the line today! For those in the area, they're installing the first crossover today in front of the Perimeter Institute.

Also, word of warning - University Ave at the tracks is closed for some kind of "vacuum excavation". There are signs up saying Columbia will be closed next weekend, probably for the same thing.
(05-07-2016, 09:35 AM)Canard Wrote: Also, word of warning - University Ave at the tracks is closed for some kind of "vacuum excavation". 

Hopefully they fix the uneven road plates there at the same time - that was looking problematic earlier this week.
I took a look at the way the curbs for the LRT corridor have been poured along Charles.
Sure enough, I don't think anyone, emergency or not, is going to be jumping those. If you want into the corridor, you better do it at the last full-movement intersection.

There were parts of Charles where it was something like an 10" curb to get into the ROW.  Other parts were more like 6".  The curb height was much more stable on the LRT side, being more like 4", which is quite jumpable.

I took some photos, but without a ruler, it was hard to give them a sense of scale.  Here they are anyway:

(05-07-2016, 10:53 AM)Markster Wrote: I took a look at the way the curbs for the LRT corridor have been poured along Charles.
Sure enough, I don't think anyone, emergency or not, is going to be jumping those. If you want into the corridor, you better do it at the last full-movement intersection.

There were parts of Charles where it was something like an 10" curb to get into the ROW.  Other parts were more like 6".  The curb height was much more stable on the LRT side, being more like 4", which is quite jumpable.

Once the pavement is laid, though, I think the effective curb height will be maybe 4" less -- there is quite a lot of asphalt that will get laid down.  So a 6" curb would turn into 2", and 10" into 6".  The former may be intended as jumpable.

Purely my speculation, of course. Big Grin

There is already asphalt in the place where I took the photo, it's just covered in so much dirt it looks like it isn't. I had the same thought, but a 10" curb when there's already a layer of asphalt won't be getting cut down much further.
There is probably still the top coat of asphalt to go on the base layer; they usually wait a year between placing each layer. That is probably only going to bring it up another 4cm or 1.5".
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »