Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
At one point they were going to go with using Mount Hope as the Emergency entrance/exit thru the parking lot. I wonder why that idea was scrapped.

New sidewalks now (partially) poured in front of the bus station on Charles:

According to Twitter, the corduroy road pieces were gone in 27 minutes with people lining up as early as 3am.
Always good to get a positive letter for the Ion.
Curbs and CAT poles are in on Caroline (Freemont to Allen) and curbs are in Allen (Caroline to King).

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but the remnants from the corduroy road were made available to the public this morning beginning at 7AM. Each person was allowed one 2 foot segment. My wife and FIL were there at 5:45AM ahead of the 7AM open (god bless them), but were still 20th in line! 200 pieces in total were available.

Now to figure out how to preserve the wood and what to do with it...
The record is reporting a possible second corduroy road at king street and conestoga road. Construction halted while being confirmed.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Good lord. Another one? What would it even have been crossing? And it wasn't discovered during the work on that road for the past 8 months?

(05-06-2016, 11:29 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Curbs and CAT poles are in on Caroline (Freemont to Allen) and curbs are in Allen (Caroline to King).

Wow! Nice! I thought work here was supposed to be going until July, wasn't expecting curbs this early!
I am slightly curious about these finds. Given rules that seem to be being followed by GrandLinq, and previous work whose outlines almost surely had to have turned up these same findings, I wonder if previous contractors could be charged or fined in any way. GrandLinq is coming forward because they truly have to dig through everything, and probably because the time/cost penalties for revealing things winds up on the RoW side of the ledger. Previous construction that likely ran into the road(s), though possibly less intensely, might have ignored it for concern over tying up their personnel during investigations, without any/sufficient remuneration, and future opportunities that had to be foregone (or worse, booked ones that would have to be postponed with fines paid).
It is also possible that the previous road work did not go deep enough to uncover the corduroy road; much of the construction this time include utility replacement/relocation which requires deeper excavation than simple resurfacing/new curbs/etc.

I was surprised at how far down the corduroy road was when it was uncovered in Uptown.
.........they just found another Corduroy road.

I'm out, folks.

:: flips desk ::
(05-06-2016, 12:18 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Previous construction that likely ran into the road(s), though possibly less intensely, might have ignored it for concern over tying up their personnel during investigations, without any/sufficient remuneration, and future opportunities that had to be foregone (or worse, booked ones that would have to be postponed with fines paid).

I saw at least one utility pipe lying very close to the surface of the corduroy road. Likely they ran into it and simply stopped digging.

Cities used to get buried overtime, about 1cm per year, between garbage, silt and repaving. Modern cities have garbage collection, no longer flood as much and current repaving techniques remove the previous layer, so we might have just recently stopped a thousands of year old historical trend.

The corduroy road is about 200 years old, so you expect to find it about 2m below surface.
(05-06-2016, 12:55 PM)Canard Wrote: .........they just found another Corduroy road.

I'm out, folks.

:: flips desk ::

Hey, just look at it as Bombardier not getting all the blame when the line doesn't open on time.

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that if we had built an overhead monorail, the corduroy road(s) could stay right where they are, and we would be blissfully unaware. I know what Canard is thinking. Big Grin
To think, Waterloo facing the kind of construction problems you would expect from Rome, Athens or Cairo. Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »