Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
They'll be high enough that a regular schmo in their Corolla won't be able to mount them, but low enough for emergency vehicles to get into / across the ROW. I recall this being a point made during the planning process.

What is the ground clearance of a typical ambulance?

While the Functional Design Plans spec OPSD 600.090, the profile of the actual curb poured here does not match - OPSD 600.090 is a "semi mountable curb" with a nice sloped profile to aid vehicles in going over them, but the curbs actually poured along the rapidway on Charles are nearly vertical.  It would take a hell of a machine to climb over those (and withstand the drop on the other side, within the rapidway), and certainly not while driving parallel to it - you'd just chew up your sidewalls.

I can't help but wonder if something fell through the cracks here.  CTV recently ran a piece on how ambulance drivers are upset that along King, they foresee a clusterf because they know drivers will want to stop when they hear their sirens, but won't be able to pass. (Personally, I love Darshpreet's response in the video - clipped from the article)
Good question to ask GrandLinq via Twitter.
(05-05-2016, 06:26 AM)Canard Wrote: With all the giant substations, signal boxes, fences and massive railway crossing infrastructure, were unfortunately starting to see the downside of Light Rail as a transit technology, over other elevated technologies that I proposed years ago. (Just saying)

Is that really an issue of technology, or simply a reflection that esthetics are not a top priority for the ION project?  Spend enough money and almost anything can look good.
(05-05-2016, 10:07 AM)Canard Wrote: .........

I can't help but wonder if something fell through the cracks here.  CTV recently ran a piece on how ambulance drivers are upset that along King, they foresee a clusterf because they know drivers will want to stop when they hear their sirens, but won't be able to pass. (Personally, I love Darshpreet's response in the video - clipped from the article)

I saw that CTV piece the other night and thought that the best part was Darshpreet Bhatti's not entirely successful attempt not to show contempt for the complainers.  He doesn't actually say "idiots", but you can hear it in his tone!  I think I like Darshpreet Bhatti!  Smile
(05-05-2016, 10:15 AM)timio Wrote: Good question to ask GrandLinq via Twitter.

GrandLinq doesn't have a twitter account or social media presence.

(05-05-2016, 11:04 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I saw that CTV piece the other night and thought that the best part was Darshpreet Bhatti's not entirely successful attempt not to show contempt for the complainers.  He doesn't actually say "idiots", but you can hear it in his tone!  I think I like Darshpreet Bhatti!  Smile

He is awesome and honestly my hero. He's a great guy and I wish they'd interview him more often when these "stupid things" come up in the news, because as he showed here, he knows how to lay the smack down, professionally!
The rideion account is them

No, that's the Region of Waterloo's Rapid Transit Team behind the scenes of it (@rideIONrt). Separate office/team.
Did you watch a different video than me?

I was not pleased with Darshpreet's answer at all.  It was the most generic, non-committal response possible. It was very political.
"We consulted with them... some time ago... non-specifically...."

To me, a proper response would have been:
"We consulted with them, and as such, the LRT has this, this, this, and that accommodation built in, but things are tough right now because construction is ongoing, so they can't take advantage of those yet."

Though that's assuming such accommodations are more than "oh, uh... we cut out some curbs so they can turn left"
Sorry, I thought it was hilarious, no matter how immature that makes me. I'm just so tired of all the bitching. I just had to sit on a courtesy shuttle with 4 other people for 15 minutes and listen to them gripe about how crappy KW is and how horrible all the construction is blah blah blah.
I agree with you. In today's reality of victims and complainers, the occasional official "Piss Off" comes as a blessed relief. As least if you are not one of the vicitims or complainers! Wink
Courtland at Ottawa is closing for 3 weeks as of Monday.
(05-05-2016, 11:43 AM)timio Wrote: Courtland at Ottawa is closing for 3 weeks as of Monday.

Mill St becomes the logical detour?

I stopped by Uptown Waterloo to pick some things up yesterday. I spoke to one of the merchants who mentioned that the Caroline Street platform is 50mm too close to the tracks. Time will tell if this is accurate. If a change needs to be made, will it be with jackhammers and new pour or simply chopping 50mm off the face of the platform?
(05-05-2016, 12:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 11:43 AM)timio Wrote: Courtland at Ottawa is closing for 3 weeks as of Monday.

Mill St becomes the logical detour?

Looks to be Mill/Stirling
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »