Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-04-2016, 07:35 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Likely "solution" is going to be removing all those saplings. Mind you, if I could remove anything existing from the Tannery site, it'd be the corner of the old foundations at Charles and Victoria. Northbound on Charles and turning right, it's impossible to see oncoming Eastbound traffic without being nearly in its way. Heck of a danger to insist upon for heritage preservation of old foundation.

Are those foundations preserved for any explicit heritage value? I kind of assumed it was aesthetic in nature.

Wonder why they don't put the cat-pole foundations on the traffic side?
Because the embedded track in this area is more-or-less flush with the road, not high curb. So a concrete foundation on the traffic side is a safety hazard.
Charles / Stirling was poured today! Another big crossing done!

http://bit.ly/1TmZN2f
Over on Urban Toronto, someone posted a picture of a railroad gate installed at the Quiet Place crossing

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ion...st-1112743

Even though it's just a pedestrian crossing, they've installed the FULL SIZE gate infrastructure. Clearly, they got a bulk purchase order....
(05-04-2016, 04:06 PM)Markster Wrote: Even though it's just a pedestrian crossing, they've installed the FULL SIZE gate infrastructure.  Clearly, they got a bulk purchase order....

Do you think it will also make the same dinging noise? Every three minutes? If so, the residents of the area are going to love it. We should really consider a new name for Quiet Place.
(05-04-2016, 04:42 PM)timc Wrote: Do you think it will also make the same dinging noise? Every three minutes? If so, the residents of the area are going to love it. We should really consider a new name for Quiet Place.

At this point, seeing everything else along the Spur corridor, I assume yes.  Understanding local context is not a strong suit of this build process.

Maybe that's why they're building a sound barrier there on the far side. Big Grin
(05-04-2016, 04:42 PM)timc Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 04:06 PM)Markster Wrote: Even though it's just a pedestrian crossing, they've installed the FULL SIZE gate infrastructure.  Clearly, they got a bulk purchase order....

Do you think it will also make the same dinging noise? Every three minutes? If so, the residents of the area are going to love it. We should really consider a new name for Quiet Place.

From my understanding, the crossing gates are only there for freight requirements, so they should only ding when there is a freight train passing (at 2-6 in the AM). Not sure what they plan to do with the gates outside of the freight window though.
(05-04-2016, 04:06 PM)Markster Wrote: Over on Urban Toronto, someone posted a picture of a railroad gate installed at the Quiet Place crossing

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ion...st-1112743

Even though it's just a pedestrian crossing, they've installed the FULL SIZE gate infrastructure.  Clearly, they got a bulk purchase order....

In my limited experience with pedestrian only railway crossings in Europe, they were always of the full size type with a "skirt" under the bar to stop pedestrians from crawling under.
I think part of what makes it look particularly oversized is how close it is to the path. If they moved it a foot or two to the left, it would crowd the space a little less.
I took some pics of the work at Francis and King:
[Image: xjM9Rou.jpg]

[Image: sCst26W.jpg]
I didn't think Quiet Place is even a proper road there, just an extension of the access road to the apartment on Parkside. This really seems to be overkill.

At the intersection of River Road and King St I noticed (new to me) LED lights showing the No Turn logo and the word TRAIN below.  I assume these will light up as a train passes by.  Has this been here for a while, or is this possibly a test device for Ion?

From Google Images:

Coke
It looks like Quiet Place crossing is at an angle and not perpendicular to the tracks which will make crossing on a bike challenging.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »