Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
King St is now torn up between Francis and Victoria, so that one can come off the list.

*fixed

Tampy McTampface was out again in full force this afternoon.

His buddy, Mr. Blowystones, was also having a bit of a romp.

Like a snowblower for ballast.

Ties and trackwork.

Track switch on site in front of Perimeter.

Huuuuuge double-wide concrete ties!

Switch nameplate, more here.

Frog detail.
Curb-laying guides are in between Victoria and Francis, curbs will probably be going in there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Traffic poles are also up at Charles / Ontario.

Charles / Queen has been refilled in and tampered. They'll need to get a move on, with less than 2 weeks to do curbs, lay track, embed it, and pave it here.

Embedded track is almost done through the Eby intersection. It seems like Eby will carry through traffic once this is all done? That must have changed. In the original plan it was RIRO at Charles. Anyone know what's up?
Certainly lots going on along Charles! Here's the ever-farther pour progress towards Eby.

[Image: Kf2MFIK.jpg]

A quick peek at Benton/Frederick around King. Utility work is finished for now on Benton and is shifting more and more Duke-ward.
[Image: DYKDwvQ.jpg]

The Queen intersection is looking relatively polished.
[Image: cSXYVJL.jpg]

And, in front of the bus terminal, it looks like they're preparing to restore the sidewalk.
[Image: ptUJtIu.jpg]
(05-02-2016, 09:05 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Embedded track is almost done through the Eby intersection. It seems like Eby will carry through traffic once this is all done? That must have changed. In the original plan it was RIRO at Charles. Anyone know what's up?

I don't think the plan has changed - but I think they may open it to traffic temporarily, while they do the full pour on the Cedar intersection.

That was my thought, too.
(05-02-2016, 09:27 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 09:05 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Embedded track is almost done through the Eby intersection. It seems like Eby will carry through traffic once this is all done? That must have changed. In the original plan it was RIRO at Charles. Anyone know what's up?

I don't think the plan has changed - but I think they may open it to traffic temporarily, while they do the full pour on the Cedar intersection.

That would make sense. I do question the fact that the curbs around that intersection have nicely poured "endcaps", so to speak, rather than rough ends like they've used at other temporary crossings though.
3 fresh curbs Francis to Victoria on Charles:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Is there still supposed to be a sidewalk on the tannery side of things? Looks very tight.
(05-03-2016, 06:29 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Is there still supposed to be a sidewalk on the tannery side of things? Looks very tight.

Looks like yes, 1.8m; although I agree, it looks like the catpole foundations run right smack down the middle of it.

Functional Design Plans - Page 27
The FDPs don't incorporate catpole foundations - the placement of them in real life DOES seem to run right where the sidewalk is in the plans. I wonder if they'll omit a sidewalk here? I don't see any way for there to be one on that side - at lease not one that is accessible for those  in wheelchairs, who can't step around the poles.

Well, I guess we'll know in a week or so - but I would think that there has to be a sidewalk - otherwise, how will there be access to the Firkin and Google and so on?

Although, with the track on the side, so close to said sidewalk, I suppose it would need a 5' chain link fence... har har har. Smile
Likely "solution" is going to be removing all those saplings. Mind you, if I could remove anything existing from the Tannery site, it'd be the corner of the old foundations at Charles and Victoria. Northbound on Charles and turning right, it's impossible to see oncoming Eastbound traffic without being nearly in its way. Heck of a danger to insist upon for heritage preservation of old foundation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »