Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-04-2016, 10:02 AM)GtwoK Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 09:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I believe that the buildings on the "west" side of Ottawa will be demolished to accommodate this widening, no?

I don't know for fact, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised.

I'm basing that on something I saw a while back about the Corner Pub being expropriated.  I just assumed that the two remaining buildings in that block would come down as well.  If so, it will be a nice redevelopment opportunity for someone.

There used to be a project sheet for it on the city's site, but there's no longer a link to it from the construction projects page. It might still be hiding on their servers somewhere, not sure how to find it.
I wonder why they are not upgrading the utilities on Courtland from Hayward to Block Line? Maybe they have been upgraded in the last 10 or 20 years?
(04-04-2016, 05:26 PM)Square Wrote: I wonder why they are not upgrading the utilities on Courtland from Hayward to Block Line? Maybe they have been upgraded in the last 10 or 20 years?

They don't have to move the road for the LRT in that area. It's on the embankment on the west side so it won't get in the way of future utility work.
They're expropriating all the houses between Courtland and Mill? This is the first I've heard of any of this...
(04-04-2016, 06:13 PM)Canard Wrote: They're expropriating all the houses between Courtland and Mill? This is the first I've heard of any of this...
Where did you hear that?  Those houses all have decent front yards, so I don't know why they'd be expropriated,
A few posts ago I thought someone said that it's going from 2 to 4 lanes + LRT and they're removing all the houses. Last time I walked down there though they were doing temporary water hookups to them so I don't believe that is the case.

(04-04-2016, 07:25 PM)Canard Wrote: A few posts ago I thought someone said that it's going from 2 to 4 lanes + LRT and they're removing all the houses. Last time I walked down there though they were doing temporary water hookups to them so I don't believe that is the case.

That's the short block between King and Charles.  The widening is to open up the bottleneck at King and Ottawa Sts, it's not LRT related.
I was more or less referring to this.

http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2012/05/18/ott...alignment/
(04-04-2016, 05:51 PM)timio Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 05:26 PM)Square Wrote: I wonder why they are not upgrading the utilities on Courtland from Hayward to Block Line?   Maybe they have been upgraded in the last 10 or 20 years?

They don't have to move the road for the LRT in that area.  It's on the embankment on the west side so it won't get in the way of future utility work.

Thank you.
(04-04-2016, 08:41 PM)D40LF Wrote: I was more or less referring to this.

http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2012/05/18/ott...alignment/

Aha! My old article!

When they eventually moved the northbound station to Borden, I really thought it was a missed opportunity. There's really no reason to put a track on Ottawa. It's just a vestigial remnant of an old plan.
Where would the track go, if not Ottawa? (Just wondering.)
(04-04-2016, 10:28 PM)Canard Wrote: Where would the track go, if not Ottawa? (Just wondering.)

Per the article, all on Borden.

...and we know that Borden is wide enough to accommodate two tracks without expropriation?
UW has some OCS spreaders up on their poles:

This one has its wings closed, but others had them spread. I was expecting a bus, so the POV isn't the greatest.

Also seen: yellow cars which I presume are full of ballast rock, construction trailers for Engineering 6 (which will look almost identical to, and be placed alongside, Engineering 5), and the gigantic double-monolith development on Philip on the old Ontario Seed lot (couldn't find a WRC thread for the development, but I don't know its name).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »