Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Just the standard one on all the "Future Stop" signs:

[Image: 3l-image.jpg]

(03-26-2016, 07:54 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh no, sorry - I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining or criticizing!  Mistakes happen all the time.  I just enjoy technical details, that's all - I'm a mechanical designer. and our guys screw up stuff that I've designed like this all the time.  They don't look closely enough at my (very detailed!) assembly drawings, make assumptions... and then when I come out to the shop and take a look at what they've done, I sheepishly have to point out that it's assembled incorrectly and they'll need to re-do it.

Oh, I wasn't been critical or anything. I think it's fantastic, to be honest. I just don't think that these sorts of mistakes in other projects would be noticed by the public before they are fixed by the contractors. I wish that there were people paying as close attention to projects elsewhere in Canada so I'd have more information about them!
(03-26-2016, 08:20 PM)Canard Wrote: Just the standard one on all the "Future Stop" signs:

OK, thanks, I thought I had missed something new!
(03-26-2016, 05:54 PM)Canard Wrote: A couple of repeat shots (sorry!) of Kevin's from this morning:

No need to apologize; I really like this high angle! And I think you have a superior camera, I just make do with my phone.
Looking from the pedestrian crossing in Waterloo Park. In the latter shot, the uncovered Seagram platform can be seen.

This may well have been known already , but I noticed today that all the lights and rail signals were up at the University crossing. Can't remember if that was a recent thing or a long ago thing
Yeah! And also the traffic signals at Borden/Courtland are enabled and operating now too.

In terms of construction delays, we must keep in mind that, as far as I understand, GrandLinq is not just responsible for building the LRT but also for operating it. I'm unsure what are the implications of this arrangement in terms of construction delays, but it certainly is a different dynamic than the simple "build and deliver" standard construction contract.
Can you explain a little more what you mean? Like that delays are OK if they make up for it in testing?
(03-28-2016, 03:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Can you explain a little more what you mean? Like that delays are OK if they make up for it in testing?

What I mean is that the typical contractor has no great incentive to deliver a project in time. Here the contractor and operator are one and the same, so their interests are linked in a way they usually aren't.
(03-28-2016, 03:34 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: What I mean is that the typical contractor has no great incentive to deliver a project in time. Here the contractor and operator are one and the same, so their interests are linked in a way they usually aren't.

Which is a good thing! The Region was wise to make the contract that way, so that the contractor would need to operate the very system they built.
Driving down Ottawa, I saw a sign near King to Courtland stating that this stretch will be closing April 4 for 8 months! Soon ALL parts of the ION route will have construction on it.
Yeah! I had an "....oh!" moment when I saw that... I'm terrible at navigating, but I can't imagine an easy workaround to Ottawa being closed.

Ottawa is going to be a tight alignment.

(03-28-2016, 06:30 PM)Canard Wrote:  I can't imagine an easy workaround to Ottawa being closed.

Stirling or Sydney, mainly. Kent, if you only need to get to Courtland.
(03-31-2015, 06:52 PM)Canard Wrote: A few more photos from today.

What are the rails in the middle of the track on the culvert bridge in Waterloo Park for?   Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »