Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Willis Way is closed as well!

(03-18-2016, 09:57 AM)insider Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 09:48 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Hey, insider, just to clarify: you have inside information that suggests that the full Ion system will start revenue operations in April 2017?

I’d be surprised by that, but sometimes things are completed ahead of schedule, and it would be encouraging even if some people in the know were simply entertaining the possibility of an early open.

What I heard from someone involved in construction is that the system will be ready in April 2017 - they didn't specify if it would start operations at that time. They also mentioned some numbers about how much it is being spent per month, but I forgot exactly how much.

I would be concerned about that. Construction of the system should be done by end of year 2016. If construction guys are saying they will be done April 2017, it means that we will be four months behind schedule, and unable to do any testing of winter conditions, unless we delay opening until ~March/April 2018. Which would be bad.
(03-18-2016, 10:06 AM)GtwoK Wrote: - Louisa / King, Andrew / King, and Agnes / King are all closing for 4 weeks! Not sure what this could be for, other than trackwork? It seems too early for that, but with roads already in place, what's left to do?

- Moore / King closing for 6 months. It makes sense why it's needed, but how is access to the King's Crossing lot supposed to be accomplished? Just the roundabout way from the back of Wellington? Either way, big work on the grade separation coming soon!

Oh, man…I assumed this was going to happen at some point (in the case of Moore and King), but it’s going to make things pretty difficult. I wasn’t expecting six months…

I’m choosing to be positive: at least Wellington and King won’t be closed at the same time as the intersections further west. And possibly there will be some access to the plaza from King just west of the closure: maybe a path to the one side of the former Tim Horton’s. If the plaza owners don’t create one, I’m sure the patrons eventually will.
(03-18-2016, 10:06 AM)GtwoK Wrote: What are they thinking?

Grandlinq is thinking about minimizing Grandlinq's costs, while satisfying the letter of their contract.
(03-16-2016, 06:51 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Catenery stays were up on the poles north of Columbia today. Sorry mid hail storm on a bus so no pictures.

Pictures for those can be found on Urban Toronto:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ion...st-1093891
(03-18-2016, 09:45 AM)insider Wrote: Feel free to continue making fun of every single thing I post. That's what community is about! (Edit: not.)

Sorry, insider. I shouldn't have said that - I apologize. Just having a bit of fun and bouncing back what people constantly do to me on this forum - feeling a bit bullied, that's all. And agreed, it's completely not constructive. I appreciate you sharing the information you were provided with. And agreed, it's completely not constructive.
(03-18-2016, 12:02 PM)Canard Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 09:45 AM)insider Wrote: Feel free to continue making fun of every single thing I post. That's what community is about! (Edit: not.)

Sorry, insider.  I shouldn't have said that - I apologize.  Just having a bit of fun and bouncing back what people constantly do to me on this forum - feeling a bit bullied, that's all.  And agreed, it's completely not constructive.  I appreciate you sharing the information you were provided with.  And agreed, it's completely not constructive.

^ See. We can all be nice and civil here. Good on ya' Canard!

(03-18-2016, 12:02 PM)Canard Wrote: Sorry, insider. I shouldn't have said that - I apologize. Just having a bit of fun and bouncing back what people constantly do to me on this forum - feeling a bit bullied, that's all. And agreed, it's completely not constructive. I appreciate you sharing the information you were provided with. And agreed, it's completely not constructive.

If you feel bullied, you should raise it in one of the forums on forum issues. Or send a PM about it when a specific instance comes up (maybe you do do this).

For what it's worth, generally I find the civility around here to be at pretty high levels. There are always going to be some exceptions.
(03-18-2016, 10:06 AM)GtwoK Wrote: - Moore / King closing for 6 months. It makes sense why it's needed, but how is access to the King's Crossing lot supposed to be accomplished? Just the roundabout way from the back of Wellington? Either way, big work on the grade separation coming soon!

The driveway beside Laura Sharpe may still be usable.
You'd think so initially, but from Moore to Wellington, King is one-way, so the only (legal) way to get to that driveway is from Moore, which won't be accessible.
This place is a bloody oasis compared to the Canada section of SSP. Jesus what a nightmare that place is!
(03-18-2016, 02:25 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: … the Canada section of SSP.

I know some of those words…
Here are a couple of photos showing the detail work the crews are doing on the catenary poles along the Waterloo Spur.

kps wrote "I know some of those words…" (sorry, quoting doesn't work on my phone)

I presume by that you understand then what I'm talking about.
Here is another change from the early Fairview Park Mall stop render.   The old render here :  http://www.rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo...rkmall.pdf

This is new, didn't know they were going to do this : http://www.rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo...0_Fair.pdf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »