Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-04-2016, 06:41 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I wonder, could the renders in the Victoria Park diagram be related to the mystery development Insider was alluding to, or are they placeholders?

These renders are 100% conceptual and are not based on any real development applications, they are part of the Station Area Planning exercise simply to explore the potential of each station and show some 'out of the box' ideas.

(03-07-2016, 10:26 AM)Canard Wrote: I can't believe how huge the TPSS is; I wonder what people will think when these start showing up downtown. I suspect there will be a lot of "...oh." 's.

The TPSS locations don't put them directly in either of the downtowns. The one closest to Uptown is between Perimeter and Waterloo park, accessed from Fr. David Bauer; then in Kitchener, there's the one that had been set to go behind UW Pharmacy but is now set for Waterloo Street, and the other is next to Charles by Cedar.
Where is the Charles/Cedar one going? That old used car parking spot? Aren't there houses all right there opposite the embankment wall?
The used-car parking was the Madison-Cameron block. This will be in the Cedar-Madison block; there was a small office buiding in that spot, up until pre-construction demolition a couple years ago.
Ahh, I'll have to go check it out. There must be a pad poured where it's going - hadn't noticed it (but wasn't specifically looking for one there).

It'd be neat to have a semi-opaque fence around it or a wall covered in public art.
The Cedar location is fairly controversial. It's a really prominent location that would be much more suited to active uses. Directly on the path between the station and the Market. But it's only really known in our transit-geeky circles.
All Rogers services were down in Elmira and St Jacobs this morning. Someone on the Rogers Outages page said it was due to LRT crews severing fibre optic cables. Asked him where he got that info, no response. Naturally.

Temporary fencing is up on Charles, completely encircling the Cedar/Kitchener Market platform. I wonder if they're going to start kitting out the platform? Why else would they fence it off?

Whole whackload of embedded track just got the tarps pulled off, all the way from Manulife to the existing transit terminal.
(03-07-2016, 02:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: The used-car parking was the Madison-Cameron block. This will be in the Cedar-Madison block; there was a small office buiding in that spot, up until pre-construction demolition a couple years ago.

Here?
(03-07-2016, 11:33 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(03-07-2016, 10:26 AM)Canard Wrote: I can't believe how huge the TPSS is; I wonder what people will think when these start showing up downtown. I suspect there will be a lot of "...oh." 's.

The TPSS locations don't put them directly in either of the downtowns. The one closest to Uptown is between Perimeter and Waterloo park, accessed from Fr. David Bauer; then in Kitchener, there's the one that had been set to go behind UW Pharmacy but is now set for Waterloo Street, and the other is next to Charles by Cedar.

The one going in at 904 King St. W is replacing a pretty nice building in a pretty prominent main street location
(03-07-2016, 05:33 PM)timc Wrote:
(03-07-2016, 02:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: The used-car parking was the Madison-Cameron block. This will be in the Cedar-Madison block; there was a small office buiding in that spot, up until pre-construction demolition a couple years ago.

Here?

Yes, that's the one.
DUKE ST W BREITHAUPT ST TO VICTORIA ST N ION Construction Work
Start: Mar 15, 2016
Duration: 8 week closure.

This is from City of Kitchener Road Closures. I wonder what work are they going to do here? Rail Alignment?
Jesus Christ. The pedestrian detour on top of a pedestrian detour that will cause. They'll have to walk all the way to the end of Breithaupt, down to the Weber street underpass, over to Victoria, and then all the way back to King. A 50 meter distance (from one side of the grade separation to the other) will turn into a 1 kilometre long detour. That's a long way to ask people to walk.

No way to get to downtown Kitchener from the west/north between Weber and Park...a kilometre. That's quite the detour.

My wife's reaction (we live in west Mount Hope, and mostly walk): "I guess I'll be walking Uptown rather than Downtown when I need to run errands the next few months."
Pedestrians can still cross at Waterloo fine - despite the signs. Not sure if they will be doing any construction there though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »