Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-19-2016, 04:34 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Foundations for the rail bridge at King / Victoria are done

Does anyone know how that might compare to the planned timeline? Last we heard was I believe that work was six months behind schedule on the King underpass- any indication lately if this estimate has improved or not?

(02-19-2016, 04:34 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The King / Erb intersection officially will not need to be closer this year, thank god

Why would it? There's no track going in there.
(02-19-2016, 05:44 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 04:34 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The King / Erb intersection officially will not need to be closer this year, thank god

Why would it? There's no track going in there.

They're redoing the street up to (and including) Erb, though. As well, there were concerns about underground connections, etc.

[Image: dfosQHM.png]
Ah, that's understandable.
Lots of work going on between the Laurel Creek culvert and Erb including new track most of the way along PI and what looked to severing of the one good cargo track.

Is this one of those full-weekend "pushes"?

Sorry new photographic device at the time.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Some more LRT news, I like the bit about the substation. I wonder how many more of the original planned substations will get moved? http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/6...-the-list/
Here are a couple of photos from earlier this morning.

Work on Courtland:

OCS Poles are being stored behind Schneiders along Borden:

First OCS Poles up on Borden:

Sorry, I don't know what it is, but I just love this stretch of track!

OCS Poles are going up along the Waterloo Spur:

(02-20-2016, 12:10 PM)Canard Wrote: Here are a couple of photos from earlier this morning.

Work on Courtland:

Thanks!  Where is the last photo (with the big dig) from?  I assume somewhere on Courtland, but where?
A big weekend push seems to be on to complete replacement of the track in front of the Perimeter Institute.  The Tamper and Ballast Plough are just upstream from here, waiting to go.  The crews were placing ties this morning, so I bet later today they'll be placing rails and attaching the E-Clips.

(02-20-2016, 12:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Thanks!  Where is the last photo (with the big dig) from?  I assume somewhere on Courtland, but where?

I was standing on the Block Line bridge, facing South(ish*), toward that big GM Dealership. I can't get over how much landscaping and ground work is going on here. I wish I'd taken some photos of this area before they started, so I could compare once it's all done to get a feel for the scope of it!

* - Every direction given in Waterloo Region should probably have the suffix "ish" Smile
(02-20-2016, 12:13 PM)Canard Wrote: OCS Poles are going up along the Waterloo Spur:

OCS poles on the spur line look like they have an I-beam profile, but the ones on Borden are the usual round profile -- is that right?

(02-20-2016, 12:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 12:13 PM)Canard Wrote: OCS Poles are going up along the Waterloo Spur:

OCS poles on the spur line look like they have an I-beam profile, but the ones on Borden are the usual round profile -- is that right?

Those I-beams are ugly!
Well, that's probably why they're on the spur, for aesthetics where few people will see them and it's a little cheaper to use the simple rolled profile. But catenary in general is ugly. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »