Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
That is some serious terraforming going on at Courtland/Block Line! I have a really hard time visualizing how that's all going to look once complete.

^ ditto. Had such a hard time trying to figure out in my head where everything would go on Courtland.
I wonder if the Courtland portion is going to be embedded track?
Great question. I think it's embedded, but I'm not quite sure. It almost looks like it's balasted but contained within the concrete curbs. Here's an older PDF (page 28, 29) showing the cross section...

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/..._Part7.pdf

(From http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...nplans.asp)

I had asked about this a long while ago, and I thought they said the portion by Hayward was ballasted then switching to embedded near Courtland.
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but traffic has now switched to the north side of Northfield and the east side of King. This also means that the other quadrant of the interchange is now open and the one that had been in use is now closed.
Yeah, that was scheduled to occur on the 8th, as per the ion email. (They have all those details included in it)
Slight correction, as of last night, the entire interchange is closed. I don't know why the NE quadrant isn't open, but it seems the barrier is still up blocking the way.

The big portion of The Dome™ was more than half covered when driving past on my way to work this morning. Had no time for photos.
(02-11-2016, 11:27 AM)GtwoK Wrote: The big portion of The Dome™ was more than half covered when driving past on my way to work this morning. Had no time for photos.

I think you mean the GrandLinq Centre™.
(02-11-2016, 02:11 PM)timc Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 11:27 AM)GtwoK Wrote: The big portion of The Dome™ was more than half covered when driving past on my way to work this morning. Had no time for photos.

I think you mean the GrandLinq Centre™.

You can't brand away sentimentality. It'll always be  The Dome™ to us old-time locals, no matter how much money tries to sway that.
Victoria St construction seems like it's just around the corner...

[Image: kwEU4ke.png]

Albeit, this instance is only a day. Wonder how they'll handle it when they actually have to shut down Victoria at Charles though. That will probably be the worst cause of traffic. No way to get from one side of Kitchener to the other without going through downtown, taking the long way around via 85. I could see many overnight shifts being pulled to get this done quickly.
What could they possibly get done in one day?

(02-11-2016, 03:42 PM)Canard Wrote: What could they possibly get done in one day?

A small but crucial utility access?
I guess, but seems a bit silly when if its something small enough to only take one day, why not just wait until the thing is shut down for months to put in the track?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »